JJohnson

Rigs and Airport Security, my experiences

I travel a great deal for my job and I spend much of my time in airports. I was even supposed to be on my way to Mexico on 9/11.
Whenever possible I bring my rig, on the chance I might be able to sneak a few jumps in, wherever I may be. I have had my fair share of run ins with airport officials concerning my rig and this is what I have come up with:
Rule number one: Do not argue with anyone that first gives you grief. They probably have no clue what they are talking about. Ask to speak with someone in charge....nicely.
1) Do not bother with any counter people and do not check your rig in as baggage, even inside a suitcase. Airlines will not pay you what it is worth if it is lost or damaged.
2) Do not try to bring a hook knife on board anymore.
3) The only person who can tell you that your rig cannot be on board is the captain of that flight. (this is supposedly FAA regulations and has been supported by any airport people I have ever talked to.)
4) Security can harrass you all they wish, simply request that the floor boss come to security. The person in charge is aware of FAA regulations and knows the real deal.
5) Cypress and AAD's are legal to have. Airtec will send you a card, which shows what the AAD loks like under X-ray and explain what it is.
6) According to the various airport people I have talked to, the cannister or cartridge they are reffering to is a compressed gas thing....I don't know what they are looking for, but the real knowledgeable people know the Cypress is fine.
I have been stopped by the check in people who have told me my rig must be checked baggage and will not pass through security........I then proceed to ask them kindly for an exit row seat, and proceed through security. They can alert security, but cannot force you to check the rig.
I have been stopped at security and the results have been anywhere from a polite question or two to getting the person in charge involved.
But as it has been told to me, by that person in charge at Chicago Ohare, United terminal.....only the captain of the flight can say no to your rig.
Again this is only my experience and what has been told to me. In probably 20 encounters, before and after 9/11 I can honestly say the airport people have been more than fair and understanding so long as I treated them the same and did not make an ass out of myself. (whcih comes naturally to me) I have explained that I am a skydiver and after checking my rig and alitimeter and audible and such......they have let me pass everytime......long hair, Tevas, shorts closing pin neclace, earring, sunglasses, black leather jacket and vulgar skydiving t-shirt and all.
The worse I have had to do is ask for someone in charge..politely of course...something like, " Excuse me Mr. Security dude, no hard feelings but I think you are a monkey and I'd like to talk to your boss. I'm aware you have a job to do, but I think you are incorrect on your interpretaion of the rules. So with all do respect please get on that walkie-talkie thing of yours....yes you must press the button before talking...."
MHO
JJ

Thank you. That is good info to know. I knew you could bring on your rig, but I just hate attracting attention. Recently i just check my rigs in a Somsonite suitcase so as not to cause a huff. I was looking at these cases called Pelican cases with foam padding you can pinch and pull at to make the perfect fit for camera gear, rigs , etc. Plus the cases are bomb proof. Just not theft proof:(
It's prolly a horrible thing to say but from my perspective airport security personnel and other airport employees seem to be, lets say not the sharpest tools in the shed.......:S
SEBAZZ.......

1) Do not bother with any counter people and do not check your rig in as baggage, even inside a suitcase. Airlines will not pay you what it is worth if it is lost or damaged.

Airlines will pay for your lost or damaged or lost rig if you buy the extra insurance up to $5000 for $13 US.
Me being a Newbie my Rig was much to big to lug on the plane.