ECVZZ

What constitutes Dinner?

So...I'm childless this weekend, single all the time, and wondering...What constitutes Dinner for a single, childless male on a friday night at home?
My answer has been - 2 bowls of rabbit food (read that SALAD) topped with 3 oz. shredded cheese, 2 oz. bacon pieces (whole damn jar), 10 oz HVR ranch dressing, 10 bottles Spaten premium, and 2 shots Jim Beam black label bourbon.
I believe I've covered all the major food groups...can you think of anything I've missed?
*eyeballing donuts for dessert*:D!!
G. Jones
"Why don't they have a light bulb that only shines on things that are worth looking at?"

Well, I dunno about the male part... but when I'm kidless my favorite dinner is breakfast. Cold cereal. Preferably something sugary sweet. All those vitamins and minerals, it's gotta be good for ya! ;)
Oh yeah. And beer for an appetizer, with more beer for dessert.
pull & flare,
lisa
---
On the other hand...you have different fingers

Hmmmmmmmm.....
I am single, and a good cook, so about three times a week I do the "grab whatever and eat" thing, but generally it's something I have already cooked, frozen in single servings so I just need to microwave - such as split pea and ham soup, stew, roast and all the fixin's, Salsa Chicken, all in the freezer for those nights I am not interested in cooking...
But sometimes I make a Roast Chicken and stuffing, Chicken in Wine, or Beef Stroganoff, or Lasagne, steak and garlic mashed potatoes, or, if I'm feeling really ambitious, broiled chicken breast marinated in tequila and lime, or perhaps salmon with asparagus spears in a garlic cream sauce, over bowtie pasta, or whatever. I usually get a salad going with a balsamic vinagrette dressing, or some other veggie, like an artichoke or zuchini, so it's balanced. Pop open a good bottle of wine, and voila, a good meal...
On those rare occasions wherein I have several hours with nothing to do, I bake up some bread, and, using the homemade jam I also make (I've currently got raspberry jam, strawberry jam, apricot jam, and plum jelly), it's jam and bread...or a hunk of cheese with fresh, oven-warm bread, and a cold glass of milk also is good...
...A bowl of cereal is good, too...;)
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
If you really want to, you can seize the day; if you really want to, you can fly away...
~enya~

But sometimes I make a Roast Chicken and stuffing, Chicken in Wine, or Beef Stroganoff, or Lasagne, steak and garlic mashed potatoes, or, if I'm feeling really ambitious, broiled chicken breast marinated in tequila and lime, or perhaps salmon with asparagus spears in a garlic cream sauce, over bowtie pasta, or whatever. I usually get a salad going with a balsamic vinagrette dressing, or some other veggie, like an artichoke or zuchini, so it's balanced

Sheesh......I feel so inadequate now! :$
[Finishes donuts and beer] ;)
G. Jones
"Why don't they have a light bulb that only shines on things that are worth looking at?"

Roast eh? You wouldn't happen to know how to do a beef roast without turning it into a fat lump of leather, would you? Anything other than a rib roast and the only option I have is to wait until it cools and make shoelaces out of it.
FallRate

Sheesh......I feel so inadequate now! [Finishes donuts and beer]

ECVZZ, :)

You wouldn't happen to know how to do a beef roast without turning it into a fat lump of leather, would you?

Fallrate, start with a good cut of meat, like tri-tip or a rolled roast, lean as you can find. Depending on how big it is, cooking it at a lower temperature, keeping it "fat side up", adding liquid to the pan, and making sure you have it covered is what I do. I also pour some kind of liquid into the bottom of the pan - usually broth of some kind, but a beer roast is really good, too: take a regular sized bottle of whatever beer you like (Heineken or Sam Adams, or even one of those fancy "not really beer" beers, like a raspberry beer or a honey beer), and, after you have set your roast fat side UP and surrounded it with whatever veggies you are using (potatoes, onions, peppers, fresh green beans, carrots, etc...), pour the beer into the pan, and then add water 'til the liquid comes to about 1/4 the way up the side of the meat. Cover it well with aluminum foil. Cook at 325 degrees, and a good rule of thumb for medium, NOT rare or overcooked , is allow +/- 35 minutes per pound for boneless roast (40 if it's a really thick roast), and about 30 min (35 if really thick) per pound for bone-in roasts. LEAVE IT ALONE until it's about time to take it out; just let it cook - no basting is necessary if you leave it fat side up and add some liquid to the pan at the start. Then, let it sit on top of the stove (but turn the stove off first) for about 10 minutes before taking the foil off and carving it.
If you aren't interested in using beer, try a cream of mushroon soup, adding a can of water with it. Or a can of beef broth, or some other clear broth (like a vegetable broth, or chicken), and adding the water. Or, use a 1:3 ratio of Jack Daniels and water, but that can taste a little strong.
Give it a try, and let me know how it goes. Now I have to get ready for a long working weekend.....
Ciels and Pinks-
Michele
If you really want to, you can seize the day; if you really want to, you can fly away...
~enya~

As to moving in, you'd have a lot of chores to do...:)Lummy, whenever you are in town - let me know. Be happy to cook! (I love to cook!
Ceils and Pinks-
M
~enya~

Lummy, whenever you are in town

Definitely Michele!!!....... I'm going to be down sometime this summer to visit Perris and family, sounds like a plan :)
* strutting around like a proud peacock*[/i
Clay n Greg....
Naaa Naaa NA na NAAAAA Naaa!!!!
ROFLMAO :) JK
One shot... HEY!!! Mas Tequila!!!!
Two Shots HEY HEY!!!!
Three Shots.......

Now you've done it Lummy.....NOW YOU'VE REALLY DONE IT!!!! I'M COOKIN' TONIGHT!!!!!!!!! Just watch for the smoke, and if you can see it from your place it might be a good time to evacuate northern Cal!:P
O.k Michele, I normally will only do a roast in my T-fal pressure cooker (time constraints, you know), but I bought a Corningware 4qt. covered oven pan today.
In this pan I placed a 3 lb sirloin tip roast,1 Spaten, potatoes, carrots, 1/2 doz. small white onion (whole), crushed fresh garlic,and a sliced red bellpepper on top for color.... HA!!
I will have this with Lentil bean soup (with diced carrots, white onion, and smoked ham shanks) and home made biscuits with white rice (didn't have time to plant the rice paddy on such short notice, so minute rice will have to suffice!)
Swordfish steak on the grill for lunch tommorrow (with grilled zucchini)!! Emeril, eat your heart out! Now, who wants to come do the dishes???
G. Jones

Well tomorrow for dinner, (it is Greek Easter) I'm cooking leg of lamb, pastitio, tyropita, spanikopita, meat rolls, salad, Greek Holiday Bread, and dessert! Anyone else doing the same? Happy Easter out there to anyone it applies too!!
Yummmmy!
J

Huh.....you're getting your own full time Skydiving coach (Almost have the rating even...

Clay, what happened to "I only have 130 jumps so don't know shit"? Which is it? A coach or "a danger to everyone around me"? (;)) As to being sexy, I'll be the judge of that!
Lummy, let me know, and as long as I can still see, I'll cook for you!
ECVZZ,

3 lb sirloin tip roast, 1 Spaten, potatoes, carrots, 1/2 doz. small white onion (whole), crushed fresh garlic,and a sliced red bellpepper on top for color.... HA!! I will have this with Lentil bean soup (with diced carrots, white onion, and smoked ham shanks) and home made biscuits with white rice (didn't have time to plant the rice paddy on such short notice, so minute rice will have to suffice!)
Swordfish steak on the grill for lunch tommorrow (with grilled zucchini)!! Emeril, eat your heart out! Now, who wants to come do the dishes???

So, if I leave at like 3 a.m. in the morning (HHHHHAAAAAAHahahahaaaa....), I could be there for lunch tomorrow...but I don't do dishes. That's what the dishwasher is for....:)I
use regular white rice (not minute rice - too sticky)...:)As for Greek cooking, now there's a serious skill. I can't seem to get the right flavors in the right combination!
Ceils and Pinks-
Michele
~enya~