GAjumper84

First helmet

GAjumper84

I know I am a little late in asking for advice on this as I just bought the helmet, but I will ask anyway as I have the option to return it. Is there anything wrong with the cheapo Benny helmets for a new skydiver like me? I realize there are advantages to the more expensive ones, just want to make sure I am not putting my head in something that offers no protection or something. On sale for under $40 I couldn't say no and jumped on it, just wanted to check what everyone's opinion of this helmet is. Thanks in advance!

Hey Steve did you have an opportunity to actually visit the Chuting Star store?

I'm not sure about the one in Marietta, but I am sure about the one in DeLand. They have a literal wall of helmets to contrast and compare! I would recommend to anyone take the time if you ever have the chance to see the most comprehensive collection on display I have ever seen.

And this is the heart of the problem. Because their are so many internet jockeys that either can't make it to a place where they can see all of the designs side by side. Or don't have the interest or motivation and in their defense they can only make their decisions based upon the marketing stuff they find lurking the internet. Where quite frankly everything looks the same or a least very similar.

STEVE,

if you want the absolute best in impact protection then start looking at a motorcycle helmet with the Snell M2010/ ANSI / DOT impact rating. This of course will be at one end of the spectrum in available choices and most likely cost around 100 min. to 600..

Or you can assure your self that you made a good choice by comparing your selection with some of the competition.

I have a Gath RV, sitting here that for the cost of the postage, I would gladly send your way so you can actually see for your self the differences, in case you haven't had the opportunity to do a side by side comparison. PM me for my address.

All I would ask is that you then at some point in time return here with your first hand experience and share with us your opinions. I would never ask of you to jump the thing.

I estimate postage to cost about 20 bucks. (Including the cost for the box.)

C

:)
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

riggerrob

I bought the December 2013 issue of OUTSIDE magazine at my local Chapters bookstore.

You mean, an actual, physical, paper magazine? :o;)

I'll look for it. :-)

On a related note, Bicycling did a good piece of journalism around cycling helmets and what they protect and not protect from a few months ago. It's pretty in dept, and talk about certification in general. http://www.bicycling.com/senseless/index.html
Remster

I bought an FX freeflying helmet from Square1 on ebay for $35 + 16 shipping. Looks like a decent skydiving helmet, certainly better than the crap I was wearing as a student and has altimeter pockets which should come in handy. On the down side, def. not a $200 helmet. All the velcro peels off in a heartbeat, and one of the pieces is attached to the wrong side of the chin strap (!!!).

But hey, $35, for a pretty comfortable and functional helmet that looks like it could take a punch or two. Can't complain for too long.