Ozwald

Newbie Help

Hello All,
Well I'm a newbie to the sky diving world. I live in North Central PA and searched all of the dropzone.com recommended web sites for skydiving. A few friends and I want to make our first jump; However we aren't the smallest guys in this world. Of course the weight limit of most outfitters stop us from experiencing the excitement! I think the biggest in our group is 300lbs. Can anyone suggest a solution other than an extreme diet? Are there any fat guy friendly outfitters out there?? Thanks for the anticipated help!
Ozwald

yes, there are people that may be able to help, you may have to pay more, you may have to travel further, you will have to go to a bigger DZ, and it may be hard to find a willing tandem master for a 300 pounder. Best bet is to start making phone calls, ask specific questions about weight limits and what the particular DZ would do -- see what kind of questions they ask back also, then make your decision. Of course, in the meantime, a rice and water diet may help also :)

there are a lot of DZ's going with the ol' tandem progession training. and won't take someone on an AFF until after a tandem. Plus, a 281PDR is rated for 300 pounds, but that's the only one they make that is rated for that weight (the rest are 254 pounds max), so it may be hard to find a DZ with the right equipment.

http://dropzone.skydivewww.com/
go here and type in your state and click on the US state button.
call around and ask! you'll find that most skydivers (even if they cant handle the big fella) will give you any help they can offer alot of the more experience and taller tandem masters will take him up. the reason for the price increase....is well speculative. but if he doesnt do what the instructor tells him he, due to his size, could hurt the instructors legs upon landing, more easily then a lighter student!.
Have fun, Live free, SKYDIVE!!T
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtval100

Plus, a 281PDR is rated for 300 pounds, but that's the only one they make that is rated for that weight (the rest are 254 pounds max), so it may be hard to find a DZ with the right equipment.

Exactly. And remember, that maximum weight on the 281R is the maximum SUSPENDED weight, not body weight... add 30+ pounds for a rig with that reserve and a 300+ sq.ft. main in it to that 300 pound person and you're well over the limit. Also, there aren't many harness/container systems that are TSO'd for that kind of exit weight either - as far as I know, tandem systems are the only ones.

I think the biggest in our group is 300lbs. Can anyone suggest a solution other than an extreme diet?

My recommendation for you guys would be diet and exercise, get down to 250 or less, then think about jumping. Even if you can find a dz that will take you up now, continuing in the sport will be far more expensive than it would be if you weren't quite as heavy. Skydiving is far more fun if you're in halfway decent physical condition too.
pull & flare,
lisa
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda sez

>What about doing AFF, most DZ's I've been too will take heavier guy's
>on AFF that they wouldn't willingly take Tandem.
Not a matter of willing; there's a 500lb weight limit on the system (at least on Strong gear.) Most DZ's do not have a 140lb TM willing to take a 300lb student.
Also, AFF isn't really a great option if he's going to be falling at 160mph. You'd need an awful lot of ballast for most JM's to stay with him; I wouldn't do it.
If anything, SL is probably the best option. Loads on the gear are less, and they move under their own power. You can build a rig to take that kind of loading (Mighty Mak reserve, I believe, is rated to 350lbs, and RWS has a "tandem" single rig that we use for large students) but it will be expensive.
-bill von

I completed AFF in Richmond with an exit weight of about 290 to 300. I had very little problem finding AFF instructors to take me out. Kirk Yerkes (great guy!) did a couple of my jumps and he can't weigh more than 150, soaking wet.
It hasn't been mentioned yet, but the static line progression is a viable option for big guys. And it's relatively inexpensive. There are some who don't like the idea of it anymore, but it works.
FallRate

Rhino and everyone else,
Not trying to start a flame, but maybe these guys aren’t that heavy because of there health practices. Maybe these guys are just big. If there is no way for them to lose weight besides chopping of an arm or a leg then maybe we need to give them other useful information. I only mention this because I am a big guy who had problems getting my AFF started and everyone told me to lose weight. (Altitude in Denver playing a big part) They wanted me to be no more than 225lbs and I was at 235lbs then. (April 2001)
I only weigh 235, and I was a physical trainer while I was in college. I even worked at Bally’s and that means all I did was work out all day. Nowadays I eat well and I run about 20 miles a week. Then I went through OCS for the Air Force and was able to get my weight down to 220lbs. I also see that Aggie Dave is a big guy and he is in his prime for the Military. (only example I have seen)
I bring this up because I notice many people asking questions and not getting strait answers. Or everyone is jumping to conclusions and they don’t really address the original question.
Now my two cents, 300lbs is big. Most gear isn’t even rated high enough for me at an exit weight of about 265lbs. Most manufacturers still TSO (FAA rating system) there gear to the 252lb limit. Because of this you will need to decrease weight or get special / more expensive gear. It may even come down to you having to get rigger to set up a tandem rig for you to use. Or you may just want to buy your own gear special. This option stinks because you WILL want to downsize after you get a little experience. Then you get to go out and buy new gear all over again. This wouldn't normally be a problem but you will have a hard time selling the bigger rig.
Good new is PD does have a reserve rated to 300lbs. Precision has a new reserve coming out in a couple of months that is rated to a higher opening speed and weight than there current Dash-M. This should be a higher rating than most other manufacturers reserves in my experience. This is more catered to free flyers but is good for us big guys also because we will fall faster. As you get more experience you can look at Icarus. They rate many of there canopies to higher weight limits.
Now with this in mind be prepared to spend a little more money than your smaller friends at the DZ. And it will cost you more to get started because of these special requirements. If I can help you with any questions or point you to the right people just let me know. PM me or email me anytime.
Wes

Few people are simply 300 lbs.. That's HUGE for a base body size..
Quiet a few dz's have a 220lb weight limit. And with 300 lbs suspended in a herness comes more risk does it not? Seems like skydiving would be less stressfull for them if they lose something? I didn't call anyone a fat ass,., I suggested eating right, a gym membership in a friendly manner.
There is allways a tandem main and harness?? And they make crossbraced tandems now don't they? seriously.. It's an option.. An expensive one though..
Rhino
Blue Skies ..... ;)