FallRate

Church of Logic, Sin and Love

I may have posted on this topic previously...it tends to cross my mind after a few beers. Anyway, has anyone here ever noticed a striking similarity between the locals at a DZ and a church congregation? Before I elaborate, I'll wait to see if anyone is interested in this topic.
FallRate
BTW...anyone know where the header comes from?

Yes, I think there are many similarities, evangelism, attitude towards unsaved etc.
I posted a skydiving vs Cult of Scientology thread a while ago discussing some similarities.
It would be interesting if you could elaborate.
Nobody expects the...um...the Spanish...um...

OK, so long as someone is interested. My perceived similarities are actually quite benign...
The Minister at a friend's wedding once told me, while commenting on the fact that there was no air conditioning even though there were sufficient funds to have it installed, that every church congregation is populated with a small number of people who's mindset is "Hell No!". No matter what idea is presented by the congregation, if it involves change, then there will be those who say no. I have noticed this not only at my local DZ but within the skydiving community at large. In the case of the air conditioning, there were a few who believed it would in some way diminish the historic architecture of the building. It would alter the altar.
I have always perceived the Church, any Church, regardless of its theological leanings, to be a place where the members of a community can come together and build relationships with people they would otherwise treat as scenery in their day to day lives. The seed for this interaction and connection within established religions seems to be a shared belief in something they, as individuals, cannot completely comprehend, but through interaction with other like-minded individuals are given the opportunity to explore, in a setting that allows for "crazy" ideas. (Just my impression, please don't flame me with definitions of religion.)
Notice any similarities to skydiving? We have our shared experience that no one can really explain. We have our rituals, our dogma...we even have our heathens: the "Whuffos".
I'm not looking to make a statement here...just wondering if anyone else can relate to this.
FallRate

I havent been to church in years but by your explanation I can see the similarities--kinda!
but you forgot to mention the faith ppl have in the establishment. how many ppl swear by thier HOME dz's? they always have the best preachers( DZO/instructors) the best congregation(regular jumpers)something about blind faith(believing in what you feel rather then what you see )
and they all say parties kick ass.
well, that last one may only apply to the DZ!
what do you say if God were to sneeze?
Have fun, Live free, SKYDIVE!!T
http://community.webshots.com/user/jtval100

but you forgot to mention the faith ppl have in the establishment...

I didn't forget to mention that...it hadn't come to mind. But it definitely seems to be the case. In other words...thanks for the input JT! Sparks a thought though...as a skydiver goes from the elation of the first jump through to an ability to take on the sport alone, there does seem to be a great amount of imprinting that takes place. What is seen throughout this safe voyage is what is right, now and forever.
Hmm...if God sneezes? Batten the hatches!? :)FallRate

Notice any similarities to skydiving? We have our shared experience that no one can really explain. We have our rituals, our dogma...we even have our heathens: the "Whuffos".

What kind of dogmas do we have in skydiving?
(probably takes a whuffo to spot them)
Nobody expects the...um...the Spanish...um...

Dogma 2002 : The PLF. First jump students are still trained the same way they were when they were being put out under rounds. A "proper" PLF won't do much of anything if you're heading downwind under a 9-Cell Student ZP, with or without winds at around 14 mph.
Note: There are heretics among us who teach the principles of the...uhh, Dear God No...the, the, the "Stand Up Landing".
FallRate

I have always perceived the Church, any Church, regardless of its theological leanings, to be a place where the members of a community can come together and build relationships

My father, a self-described Atheist (raised devout Catholic), often said to me that he thought a big reason people went to church was because of the socialization aspect of it. After all, the relationship between a person and his God is a personal one...it CAN be practiced at home.
I think it's great how everyone at the dz is so different, come from so many different backgrounds and countries, and we all still come together and congregate at the same place. And most importantly, we all WANT to be there so the vibes at the dz are always so good.
Andrea
I'm high as a kite
I just might
Stop and check you out.

I agree! If skydiving lacked this social aspect, I could have saved THOUSANDS of miles on my car and jumped at the 9 to 5 DZ in my hometown (Not a bad place, actually a really nice place.) I just happen to cherish the sunsAt activities! It's a much more fulfilling experience to spend the entire weekend at the DZ.
And for any of those arrogant pricks who believe that a "social skydiver" is a lesser skydiver, please feel free to remove yourselves from our gene pool.
FallRate

My father, a self-described Atheist (raised devout Catholic), often said to me that he thought a big reason people went to church was because of the socialization aspect of it.

Unfortunately in alot of cases I believe this to be true. People want to belong somewhere, so they head to places where they think there are like-minded people. In the case of church, their priority may become social instead of spiritual.
I personally have gone to church (Catholic) all my life. It began because I had to under the direction of my parents. But they never told me "You have to go to Church because it is the law", they taught me WHY we go to church. So that thinking carried into my adulthood. I still go to church because I want to. When I go, it is not a social thing for me. It is just between me and God.
"JANE, HOW DO YOU STOP THIS CRAZY THING?"
Chris

...we even have our heathens: the "Whuffos".

I'd like to know when whuffo became a bad word? When I started skydiving whuffo simply meant someone who didn't understand the desire to skydive. Now it's used as some derogatory term to describe outsiders? I don't understand.
Keith

Scary comparison man.
Scary but true.
DZs are a lot like churches.
I prefer to hang out at DZs that are like Unitarian Churches, populated by mis-fits who respect each other. Respect is the key word here. Just like European clothing optional beaches are better, because of the mutual respect.
An old friend of mine used to run the "First Church of Skydiving", but I think it was more of a tax dodge.
Though that concept did come in handy once, when a Jehovahs Witness made it clear that he was more interested in attracting me to his church than renting me his dingy basement apartment. I offered to attend his church if he attended mine. We met every Sunday morning by the open door of a Cessna, said a few prayers, then lept out to practice flying like angels. Ha! Ha!