gowlerk

Best machine for canopy patching

I'm looking at working to improve my patching skills this winter. I'm wondering about preferred machines for patching. I know that the classic is a 31-15. But I'd like to know what a modern fully equipped loft would use as their permanently set up for patching machine. Bottom feed only? Or needle feed as well? And what size needle. I know 16 will work, but I use 18s. What do the pros use?

Thanks
Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

While I currently use a Singer 31-15 for canopy patching, I have also sewn patches on Pfaff 230, Pfaff 238, Singer 20U, etc.
The Pfaff 230 was great for simple canopy sewing, but would not sew through line attachment tapes, etc.
You are best off with a machine that will sew straight (301)and simple zig-zag (304) like a Pfaff 238 or Singer 20U.

Too bad you missed our first CSPA Rigger A1 Course, in October 2013. We covered sewing machine cleaning, simple patches, simple line repairs, kill-line repairs, and introduction to binding. The next CSPA RA1 course is in February 2014.

You may want to try a size 17 needle.

I use a 16 but an 18 seems a little too big for most canopy work.

While the 16 works well for me the 17 might help avoid the occasional skipped stitch.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Hi Ken,

I personally prefer a Singer 401A/501A for just patching.

These are 'heavy-duty' household machines. They are really not for anything much heavier; although I have built containers with one. :S

I use what the household sewing folks call a 'Jeans' needle and it works quite well. It appears to be a #18 needle.

I use this machine to also build main pilot chutes & reserve pilot chutes; but not everything on a pilot chute goes through this machine.

Just do not try to do any repair work on a para-glider with this machine. I learned that the hard way. :S

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jay,

The machine simply did not like the material. It had all sorts of loops on the bottom side.

I ended up pulling a whole bunch of stitching back out & doing it on my Pfaff single needle machine.

They used some unknown ( to me and the owner ) materials in it; it was made in Israel and we never could get any good technical info out of the mfr about just what the material was. They would only tell use their
'salesmanship' name for it.

>:(

JerryBaumchen

Thanks all. I have a 20u, a Pfaff 262, and several Singer 401s and 201s available, so I guess I'm set. Jerry, the needles I've seen sold as "jeans needles" are size 16 round point. Judging by what others are saying, I'll be trying 16s instead of 18s. I've never seen anyone selling a 17. I also have a Spectre that needs several simple patches, so I have a project as well.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Hi Ken,

Judging by what others are saying, I'll be trying 16s instead of 18s.

I give my thoughts and advice based upon what I know and my experience.

I say, use what works for you. There are days when I think no two machines are the same. :P

JerryBaumchen

PS) I have had people say point-blank that my Singer 132K6 will not do a proper sewing job on harnesses. I've been using it for ~ 30 yrs and have made a fair number of harnesses; and she is still going strong. As Fred Dryer, football player turned actor, used to say in his 'Land's End' tv series, "Works for me."

JerryBaumchen

As Fred Dryer, football player turned actor, used to say in his 'Land's End' tv series, "Works for me."

Off topic:
Hey, I thought it was in his cop show "Hunter". Not the most sophisticated of shows, but it worked for me when a teen.

JerryBaumchen

They used some unknown ( to me and the owner ) materials in it; it was made in Israel and we never could get any good technical info out of the mfr about just what the material was. They would only tell use their
'salesmanship' name for it.

>:(

JerryBaumchen

hi Jerry, was it an Apco canopy ? These guys had interesting stuff back in the days, like a rocket propelled reserve which could apparently go through a couple of layers of fabric:o
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM