mereanarchy

Skytronic vs. N3 vs. Neptune2 vs. ??

I have been looking into audible alti's as potential christmas gifts, and believe I have narrowed the field down to the Skytronic GFX, the N3 or the Neptune2 (what did I miss?).

My wishlist is reliability, a log (not required to sync to computer), canopy alarms, and for it to actually be loud enough for me to hear.

I have read some in the archives, but most posts are 2-3 years old. Anyone have any updated information, or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

lol, i mean i have read that some are louder than others, and have read a review that say some are hard to hear, but it wasn't specific to models[:/]. I am looking for feedback from people who actually fly these different models rather than general obscure comments like the one I reference above.

+ 1 for the N3

its fine for me, only time it has gone "wrong" was when I had it on my wrist and it decided that at some point I was going 232mph (flat to track probably did this)
you can hear the alarms on the wrist for canopy, and when its in your helmet its fine.

are you gonna stick it in a full-face helmet? in my (limited) experience with the neptunes if you're going to stick it in a G3 it is going to be uncomfortable due to the size. Seem to work OK in a Phantom X, though. Other helmets...dunno.

If you have the ability to head to a DZ and see what different audibles people stick in their brain buckets it might help narrow. If you're going open-face or on the wrist...can't help there.

Anyhoo...just something to consider (I use L&B stuff, personally).

hillson

are you gonna stick it in a full-face helmet? in my (limited) experience with the neptunes if you're going to stick it in a G3 it is going to be uncomfortable due to the size. Seem to work OK in a Phantom X, though. Other helmets...dunno.

If you have the ability to head to a DZ and see what different audibles people stick in their brain buckets it might help narrow. If you're going open-face or on the wrist...can't help there.

Anyhoo...just something to consider (I use L&B stuff, personally).

I agree that the N3 is a G3 is not particularly comfortable. I bought an N3 to use as an audible when I still had an analog wrist-mount, knowing that I would eventually get another audible and use the N3 as a visual. When I got the G3 and first put the N3 in it and tried it on, I immediately bought an Optima II for my helmet and switched the N3 to my wrist.

and the customer service on Neptune is appalling.

Go for optima2 simply the best with all thing considered.

Basically a lifetime warrantee with how L&b handle faults (they give you a new one).

Altimaster will try to charge you a hundred buck for a fault while it is still under warrantee.

I just saw the question you asked about the N3 and Fuel helmet. Yes, the alti is held inside the helmet with a rubberband-ish thing (not actually a latex rubber band, more a rubber gasket). It is SUPER tight at first, I actually got the sideplate with the hole in it so I can access the buttons without taking it out of my helmet, I only take it out to charge it. Works awesome, and I hardly feel it.

I jump the N3 and N3 Audio:

N3: normal stuff for audible that the Quattro does for less money and fits better. N3 is a great visual + log.

N3 Audio: brilliant - once you exit a nice lady voice tells you every 1,000ft: 12, 11, 10... really awesome for tracking/wingsuit jumps as you are not looking at your alti (People also liked it for RW). Then it tells you "break off, break off" and "deploy, deploy" which i find much nicer compared to normal alarms (wave files you can change). Never had problem hearing it. As bonus you can listen to music going up or while packing.

PS - dont wear the N3 in the silicon sleeve - lost mine on 2-way back-flip hug exit... :(

Hope that helps and blue skies,
Chris
The Power of the Dark Side