billvon

Canopy training - do it yourself!

I'm posting this to call people's attention to sections 6-10 and 6-11 of the 2007 SIM. 6-10 contains a lot of good information on how to fly a HP canopy, and section 6-11 contains the outline of a canopy control course that anyone (preferably an I who has HP canopy experience) can run. It's a five jump program with exercises and self-evaluation criteria built into it, but can be modified to suit any set of students.

There's a lot of hubbub over how we need more education, not regulation, and the outline in section 6-11 of the SIM provides a great way for education supporters to get out there and start getting that education to these people.

So all you I's out there who swoop - start a course at your dropzone! All you people who want to learn more about swooping and HP canopy flight - read 6-10 and 6-11, then bug the instructors at your DZ to set something like this up.

Already done. B|

I mentioned to my DZO, on several occassions, that one of my 'goals' for the year was to attend at least a basic course, and that I didn't really want to spend my $$$ elsewhere, and was hoping he could line something up. It's scheduled for June 2nd at AAS.

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

Why must an I be a swooper to teach a basic canopy control course?

for a basic canopy control course i'm not entirely sure an instructor would have to be a swooper to convey the importance of what's covered in the basic course. HOWEVER, the instructor should have a solid understanding of what swooping is and what is going on when swooping occurs so they can relay the safety aspects of that discipline to the people they are teaching.

now for an "advanced course" or a course that focuses on swooping, then having a qualified swooper that is ALSO an instructor are vital. you wouldn't take swimming lessons from someone who doesn't know how to swim. it's the same kind of principle.

also something to think about is that many AFF instructors or TI's don't soley focus on canopy piloting and so they only have a very basic level of understanding when it comes to canopy flight. however, most of the PRO swoopers or skydivers that are 100% dedicated to canopy flight know a whole lot more about what is actually going on during canopy flight because they've taken it upon them selves to study, watch, and learn everything there is about this aspect of skydiving. flying your parachute no matter if it's swooping or not involves so many different variable ranging from physics, to body mechanics, to psychology, to fluid dynamics, it takes a lot more time to master, if that's even possible.

just something to think about.

edited to add: by the way Bill i'm glad you posted this, there is definitely a lot to learn in just those 2 sections of the sim. much of the info there is covered in formal and unformal canopy courses around the world
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

>Why must an I be a swooper to teach a basic canopy control course?

You don't have to be. USPA recommends that the instructor "should hold a USPA Instructor rating and have extensive knowledge of canopy flight" and should have taken a factory-sponsored canopy control school. In my experience, swoopers are the most likely jumpers to fit that bill, but any instructor who is a good canopy pilot (and has gotten canopy training) can run it per USPA.

very true.

maybe what we need is a sticky post of qualified Canopy Pilots that are quality instructors for each state, that way people know who they can contact that is close to them.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down