Viking

Now thats a shattered Femur!!

it might be that there is enough flesh, meat, bone, whatever surrounding the rod that the detectors don't see it. For a while if you had a belt buckle on, you could put your hands over it and it wouldn't set off the machine.

Yup, most metal detectors are looking for density of metal...
Plus, has anyone here ever heard of ceramic blades?
And how easy it would be to transform a dytter into a barometric detonator, similar to the one that dropped the Pan Am flight over Lockerbie.........
"I might bend my hat in the process, but I'd still teach that guy a lesson or two" David Lund......

Back in '97 I had a great time trying to explain to this idiot from airport security at LAX that my altimeter was not a bomb. Thankfully a pilot came through and explained it to this idiot. That said, my rig went through without the cypress circuitry being flagged up as a potential bomb. DItto this year, except they wanted to check the metal of my reserve pilot chute (I unequivocally told em to get *ucked!) and checked it in as 'fragile'.
The real test my gf did of airport security was from Colorado to LAX and then to Sydney. They wouldn't let her take the tweezers and nail clippers on in her toiletry bag, but they would let her take her advanced first aid kit on....ie tissue scissors and a thin tissue scalpel among other things. Heightened security, eh?
Oh, stuff the ceramic blades, go for the porcelain hand guns with teflon coated rounds!