rifleman

Friday Freakout: Reserve snags on GoPro mount

So as I saw it:
Wingsuit, spinning mal, reserve deployment on back, initiated with an RSL with Skyhook (the latter released quite early). Jumper has video from his front of helmet GoPro, while the reserve system snags temporarily on the other more rear mounted, back facing GoPro on a longer stalk. The mount actually does break off.

It's a bit of an issue between "reserves actually do open pretty well in any attitude with an RSL or MARD" vs. "an unstable reserve opening with snaggy stuff on your helmet isn't good".... even if it breaks off.

(I found it interesting that one guy wrote in a comment that in France, the RSL must be disconnected for wingsuiting. Then someone else commented that others having messy mals during wingsuiting would have been dead without an RSL. I don't know the truth of either of those statements.)

The obvious to me is zero attempt to get your risers(links) level to stop main from diving and wrapping up further to at least try and kick out(in other words get it flying level and see what you got), and the obviously self induced reserve line twists by hanging on that left rear during opening. What I don't get is what happened on the main deployment? I have had a few beers tonight but I am just confused. Was there a horseshoe at first? Some kind of premature at the very least unless I am unaware of the latest wingsuit deployment methods.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

pchapman

(I found it interesting that one guy wrote in a comment that in France, the RSL must be disconnected for wingsuiting. Then someone else commented that others having messy mals during wingsuiting would have been dead without an RSL. I don't know the truth of either of those statements.)

One of the best, most experienced jumpers I know, many cutaways, movie experience, very good swooper, etc. said that all wingsuiters should use RSLs. A very expert opinion, IMHO.

I don't know about wingsuiters, but I know of a lot of dead skydivers that probably would have been saved by an RSL. [:/]

So as I saw it:
Wingsuit, spinning mal, reserve deployment on back, ...

.................................................................................

Something I learned early in my wing-suiting career was to keep my knees together and arched until deployment was complete. It took me a dozen or so line-twists before I understood that any leg-spread flipped me onto my back during deployment.

JohnMitchell

One of the best, most experienced jumpers I know, many cutaways, movie experience, very good swooper, etc. said that all wingsuiters should use RSLs. A very expert opinion, IMHO.

I don't know about wingsuiters, but I know of a lot of dead skydivers that probably would have been saved by an RSL. [:/]

Here in the Netherlands, use of an RSL/Skyhook is mandatory for the first 50 wingsuit jumps.