jfields

OT: Aquariums

Yeah, I know this is totally off topic, but that is why the Talkbalk Forum is here. So....

Any of you have aquariums? If so, what kind?

I just got a second-hand 55 gallon glass tank and a stand for it. I was thinking of doing a pretty easy tropical freshwater tank.

One of the people in a pet store told me that the rule of thumb for determining how much rock/gravel/marbles to use at the bottom of the tank is 1lb/gallon/inch of coverage. So to get a 2-inch bed, I'd need 110 lbs? That seems high, but for all I know it is right.

Does anyone use an under-gravel filter? How do they work? Would you use it instead of a bio-wheel type of filter, or in addition to it?

Thanks!

I used to keep fish years ago

the undergravel filter works well with a power head that will give you a good water flow. I used to use an external canister filter as well as UG to remove any solid waste from the water as well.

why not check out the rec.aquarium news group
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think my attitude stinks you should smell my fingers

why not check out the rec.aquarium news group

Why do you have to go and be all logical like that?

Can't I just be a lazy skydiver and ask all of you? Do you really want me to be forced out into the scary land of whuffos? Why should I have to go out into the cruel world, where nobody understands me? ScottishJohn, how can you be so cruel?

Yeah, I suppose I could check some aquarium newsgroup. ;)

I've got three fresh water tropical tanks and one marine tank (salt water). Your tank would be great for either fresh or salt water. I don't use undergravel filters anymore. See http://bestfish.com/articles.html for good "how to" articles and an opinion on undergravel filters. Have fun.

man - work out the maths - thats gonna fill your tank with stones! Those fish are gonna be mighty cramped. :D

Sorry it just seems so funny - I know zilch about fish but worked out dimensions etc etc. Besides stick to skydiving its safer those piranhas might get yah
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Finally! A topic I KNOW about!

Ive kept fish for the last 15 years or so (African Cichlids). I currently have a 100 gal and a 48 gal tanks. I even have a spawning pair in the 48...way cool.

The lb/gal/inch sounds about right. Its gonna look like a lot of gravel but you need at least a good 1 1/2 - 2 inch covertage for the undergravel filter. I have over 3 inches in mine cuz the cichlids dig a LOT. You can always add or remove of you get too little or too much.

I go a little overboard on my filtration: undergravel with 2 powerheads plus a canister filter (Magnum or similar). The bio-wheel is ok, but since it hangs on the back of the tank its an eyesore unlike the canister which is under your stand.

If youre not set on fish I do recommend the cichlids. They can get pretty expensive, but they have more character than tropicals. The dig, fight, posture, spawn and generally do cool (for fish) stuff. Plus theyre as diverse and colorful as saltwater at a fraction of the pain-in-the-ass.

Youre gonna be about 6 weeks from getting the fish you want cuz the tank has to 'cycle' (set up its natural / bacterial filtration cycle).

Any other questions, hollar at me. I'm good at THIS. Heee!

JC

Ok I cocked up. My maths assummed that gravel was 1gram/cubic cm. This comes out at about a 1/3 of a tank of gravel (circa). Assumming gravel weighs 2x what I assummed it aint far out the rule of thumb

enjoy - you can always breed the fish for jump money ;)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

BadDog,

Thanks also for the link. That IS a good site. I might have to re-think my position on U/G filters. Although like the article said, if it aint broke dont fix it. Ive had success using them and my maintenance practices suffer from the skydiving-too-much syndrome.

JC

Yeah, I have two aquariums. My 55 gallon one is entirely stocked with assorted goldfish, my 35 gallon one is tropical.

Undergravel filters with powerheads are the top of the line filters, and are the least maintenance because they actively clean the gravel for you.

Myself, both my aquariums are off the shelf Eclipse sets, with a bio-wheel and filter cartridge integrated into the lighting cover. I went 'off the shelf' because I really didn't know anything when I got started. I paid a lot, but got a pretty good system.

If I'd do it again, I might buy the same, unless I went any bigger. If I went bigger, I'd certainly get an undergravel filter with external canister.

<--thinking of doing something silly with a hundred gallon saltwater tank....

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

The issue with U/G filters is probably as much attentiveness and diligent maintenance as anything else. That and going a little "overkill" to ensure effectiveness. It sounds like you keep your stuff running well, in which case any method can be made to work.

I am probably going to get a proper capacity biowheel filter to hang on the back. That and good aeration should be pretty decent. I might end up getting a cannister as well. I just don't know yet.

Back to your question. I used to have 3 tanks 2 100gal marine and a 75gal tropical.

I would suggest for a first timer going tropical and not going Salwater. Also using an UnderGravel filter with a wheel. It's the easiest combo you can find. Less maintence so you don't have to clean the tank as often. Plus I suggest reading about tropicals and asking alot of questions with your petshop, fish store ect.. employees. You don't want to invest all the money into a tank and then buy some fish to find out you bought some Bala Sharks and they ate up all your $30 fish :S I found out the hard way and raised 6 Balas to about 12" long each. Fed them fish food and once every two weeks I'd buy some feeder gold fish and watch the carnage!!

Tanks can be very relaxing once they are setup and running properly. Very expecive to start. Morderatly expencive to keep up. They are also alot of work. I've heard from others in the Houston area there are actually companies that for a fee will come by once a month and clean and maintain your tanks for you :o

Good luck on whatever you decide to do. Me personaly I'll never own another fish tank, unless I win the lotto and can hire one of those companies to come take care of it for me :P

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Slappie,

275 gal worth of fishtank? That is a whole lot! I'm going to have 55. I will definitely start off with freshwater tropicals. That is what I had before when I had a little 8 or 10 gal tank. The fish I buy will be inexpensive. I've had fish before, but my wife never has. So for awhile, I don't want anything that I'd be the least upset about if it died and got flushed.

I got the tank (all glass) and stand for free from someone who is moving. I may have some more second hand equipment lined up, but I have to see what condition it is in. I'm trying to keep the cost somewhat moderate while getting a nice setup.

Hey, I gotta check here more often. Ok, the attached pics are of a tank I JUST made, for my girlfriend. It's got a submersible pump in the deep end, which pumps 160gph to the shallow end, and a aquaclear filter at the deep end too. The entire thing, coupled with the slant of the aquarium, creates a current, the is similar to a creek. She had a Betta, the she had in a little bowl, which I find cruel, so I researched their natural environment and built this. He loves it. I hiked for hours to the right spot and got the driftwood and rocks outta the mountains, and we bought some floating plants, etc, and set it up. I think it turned out alright. It's made outta 100% Bulletproof Lucite for those interested. Fun stuff to work with....

aquadeep1.jpg

Aquashallow1.jpg

I've been pondering getting an aquarium for my living room. My only concern is getting hardy enough species that they can cope with my sporadic maintenence habits. I had goldfish that thrived on neglect (two of them lived to 15 years), but I suspect that the pretty tropical ones don't like that sort of treatment. Now that you've put the idea into my head, I'm going to look into this... I have too many pets already, though...