Michele

Shooting Crows

So I run into a neighbor this afternoon in the alley behind our homes, and she and I got to talking. She pointed to a dead crow, and told me one of our neighbors shot it. She's not sure who, as it is a large apartment building (and truth told it may not be from that building...but likely is).

I called the local PD, who told me there's nothing they can do because no-one is sure where it's coming from, although there have been two other complaints about "shots fired". They did make a call to Animal Control, though, and it seems AC will have more leeway to investigate than the PD do. Now, if I am walking along the alley, and get shot, is there nothing they can do (canvass the apartment building) because no-one saw it? No, of course they would talk to all the neighbors because it is a person, and not an animal. Great. It's not that I am partial to crows - they fly around and poop on things and are generally obnoxious. But hey, shooting into the alley? Could kill a kid or something. So some jackass is shooting crows next door to me, and no-one thinks this could be a problem?

Anyone have any ideas how to handle this? I have thought that I will hit the computer at work tomorrow and get the apartment building owner's name, address and phone number, and send him a "cheerful" little note. Alternatively, I was thinking that I could simply get the apartment manager's number, and make a formal complaint. But anyone have any neat ideas (which wouldn't be traced back to me?) ?

Ciels and Pinks-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

hi, Dave (good news about your knee, btw...)

Well, I didn't go poking around the crow corpse, so I dunno if it was CO2, bb, or bullet. However, it does not negate the felonious cruelty to animals charge which the shooter could face, nor does it mitigate the "discharge of a firearm", as CA classifies pretty much any projectile thrower aside from a watergun as a "firearm", whether or not it actually is. Also, even if it was a CO2, it could really hurt a child, which would then be considered ADW, if it didn't kill him...and the alley is often used by the children attending the elementary school two blocks away.

I will say I don't see any indication of it being a shotgun (no scattershot debris), and I doubt it was a 9 or anything like that. Most likely a bb gun, or, at worst, a .22 because of the lack of "shots fired" reports.

So while it makes a difference, it doesn't make that much of a difference....

Ciels and Pinks-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Yeah, they were considered "vermin" in our neck of the woods where I grew up too- We'd shoot with .410 ga shotguns and feed 'em to the dogs- Sounds mean, but when you take into consideration the disease carried in thier poop could really cause major damage to your livestock, and humans- it was no different than getting rid of rats, mice or cockroaches. In this case, though, I'd be concerned about firearms safety if that's the case- I'm a firm beleiver that guns are tools, not toys, and should be treated as such- use the right tool for the job - and if a gun isn't the right tool, don't use it!

Easy Does It

, it does not negate the felonious cruelty to animals charge

depending on the circumstances (and location), it could be construed as animal control. Under our local hick indiana laws says that if its a varmint, it can be killed legally out of season. the definition of said creature (varmint) is any animal creating a hazard or damage to persons or property.

SO... just because its someone shooting an animal, doesnt automagically make it illegal. Depending on your outlook, it might not be proper, but not much you can do as long as it wasnt shot w/a firearm which could violate city ordinances.

So, in theory, I could shoot an animal like that right in front of a police officer, as long as its truely a varmint. And there would be nothing he could do, as long as I wasnt using a weapon contrary to local law.
The only other way is if it were done in a manner that endangered bystanders (people near/behind the target)
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!

although the varmint rule may apply in some areas I dont think they can really define what a varmint is in a big city...sh!t, just about everyanimal in a city can in some way be construed as a varmint.
although I agree with the dangerousness of the gun ,if used incorrectly the fact is that you are not sure where it came from. if you are really concerned with this you will have to do some observing.
1) did the gun shot kill this bird? kids all over the world(at least in america) shoot things just to see what its like! I.E. are you sure that this dead bird is not from some group of kids from across town who shot at the bird.while the bird flew across town to die?(it may sound funny ,but I got a vague description of your situation!)
2) if you find out who did this for sure there are ways to remedy the problem!( i kinda like skydiverbrians fixB|)
3) I am NOT an "anti-gun" guy. I am an "anti-stupid people" guy.(and sometime guns can help my cause eliminate itself;)) but I agree with you that someone could get hurt. if so ,hopefully its only the one who is abusing the gun.
4) the police can not do anything about this pest unless he is caught in the act of doing this. accusations never get anywhere. did you know that I could threaten your life (N.Y. state laws) and if you went to the police they would tell you "we can not do anything unless we catch this person in the act." they wont waste thier time baby sitting you while you are hunted down from some crazed madman.
5) If you do find the owner of the buildings address. send him/her a NICE(seriously) letter explaining your concerns! remember how it worked with your credit cards?
if you speak to people like you have an intellect you will get good responses from them! talk to them like they are children and...you will be talking to a person who thinks youre an idiot.

I applaude you for caring about such stuff while the rest of the world(probabl;y myself included) would just kick the dead crow aside and walk on.

the gun firing from someones window would make me concerned though. how many ppl do you think this kid/person shot in the butt to get a laugh?
My photos

My Videos