Viking

Pilots arrested for being drunk!!

but is there a definite correlation between drinking and driving and drinking and flying? I doubt it.

If you aren't responsible enough to drive sober, then you probably aren't responsible enough to fly sober.

According to one of the previous posts, we as pilots should be tested for intoxication before flying now, eh? How about surgeons, bus drivers, train engineers, oil tankers.... Huh..., everyone of these professions has had high profile alcohol related incidents yet I don't hear anyone on here jumping on the bandwagon for that. It amazes me how much people distrust pilots. You don't want us carrying a multi-tool yet we have control of the aircraft. How about this, I want everyone who has a job to have a breathalyzer prior to them starting work for the day. I don't want a drunk secretary typing poorly, a packer packing a malfunction, an insurance man selling me the wrong insurance, etc. This goes along the lines of "I don't swim in your toilet so please don't pee in my pool".
Give me ambiguity...or something else.

Well, first off: you don't lose your Pilot's license getting a DUI. You have to break an FAR to do that. What will happen is that you will lose your medical certificate. That's how they get you. No medical. No flying. It's easier for the authorities to get at that.

And why is this important to pilots to not have DUIs? Because it shows a pattern of behaviour. Can you follow the rules of the land while operating a moving vehicle? Then how can you be expected to follow the rules of the air when a lot of those rules can be broken without anyone really knowing it. There is a bit of the "honor system" in flying.

Chris

Sorry, my comments didn't get appended. I meant to say I have worked in the railroad industry for many years and alcohol and drug testing is done regularly and randomly on employees who work trackside.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

I did some jumps in Memminger(sp?) Germany at an airbase 2yrs ago and we were hanging out waiting for the rain to stop. I watched this guy drink 7 beers and when it was clear enough to jump, this dude was the pilot. It didnt bother me but I think me and the other americans there were the only ones sober.

Seedy, I realize many safety sensitive jobs have random drug and alcohol screenings. What I am against is being screened prior to EVERY flight. Absolutely ridiculous. The VAST majority of commercial pilots do not fly drunk, hungover, or under the influence of any substance (except coffee and Diet Coke). For people to post that "many" pilots do this is wrong. In my short 2.5 years with the airlines, I have NEVER seen a pilot fly drunk or hungover. This is a very isolated incident that happened.
Give me ambiguity...or something else.

Sort of related..

Last month I spent one month in Australia with my girlfriend (long vacation).
We took a flight from London to Sydney (and back) with Quantas...

Before boarding there where extreme safetypercautions...checking peoples shoes/pockets..everything..

I had a big shark-tooth around my neck, and they even gave me shit for having it, since it was verry sharp...everything went okay, and I understood why securety is so incredibly tight....

so..we're cruising at 30.000 ft...I'm looking out the window (drool in corner of my mouth..muttering the word 'juuuummmmpppp') and then comes lunch..

what do we get...METAL KNIVES!!
And nice sharp ones too...all together with a nice sharp fork...if one where to try something on a quantas flight, all you had to do is ask for lunch..

Kinda freaked me out...they almost strip-search you down to your underwear...and on they plane they just HAND OUT THE KNIVES!!

I just don't get it..or is it just me...?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

>I don't want a drunk secretary typing poorly . . .

Well, to be fair, it's less likely that a drunk secretary will kill 120 people because she's incapacitated by alcohol. In fact, if you have a chronic alcohol problem, perhaps a job as a secretary might be a better choice than a job as a pilot, bus driver or rigger.