grue

Holy crap, I think the world is ending!

I just woke up to go to the dunny and get something to drink, in time for the single biggest electrical storm I've ever seen in my entire life. It's INSANE!!!! House has been hit twice already, mega rain, mega winds, and MEGA MEGA MEGA lightning!!! On another hill a few miles away, I can see a bunch of cop/firetruck/meatwagon lights, so something's apparently going on there, to boot. CRAZINESS!!! Wish I had a video camera!

Time to get back to the living room and watch some more!
cavete terrae.

You have the biggest thunderstorm raging around you, your house has been hit twice by lightning and your computer is still plugged in??

Technically, no :D Laptop + 802.11b, so I unplugged teh power when I woke up :)
cavete terrae.

We had a huge storm here last night too. A wall of dust built up behind the buildings in town, looking so surreal, and then it became dark. I couldn't see anything at all not even the street lamps. Then it began to rain and with that the lightning. The lightning here is some of the most spectacular that I have seen. But egdas what a mess!!

grue:

You too! Don't know where you are, but finally, finally it rained!! We only got strong winds at first, and then a gentle pouring rain that must have lasted most of the night. I wouldn't know because I fell asleep listening to it fall on the trees outside the bedroom window . . . the first good night sleep I've had in over a week!! Wooww, I'm ready now!:):$B|

Diva

but finally, finally it rained!!

Shit, for once us in Texas don't want the rain anymore. To say the least, that's very very odd for Texas in July, usually we need rain very badly.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I think the worst lightning storm I have ever seen was in Korea in 1998. I grew up in Georgia and I have seen some pretty good storms but this one was crazy. My room had a window air conditioner that was fairly loud so I usually didn't hear much at night. Left it cranked up so the tanks, Bradleys, and those blasted M-88's rolling by at all hours of the night wouldn't bother me. Well, this night the storm woke me up. It was like a strobe light outside. We ended up getting 16 inches of rain in 12 hours. Caused massive flooding, mudslides, etc. I was driving around to check on my Captain and his pregnant wife when I noticed something in the road. Oh...thats nice....grenades, mortars, and mines littered the road. Hmmm...seems the ammo dump got washed away. I was lucky...out of the 4 buildings the Air Force had on Camp Casey/Hovey, mine and the one next door were the ONLY ones that didn't get flooded. They had to bring the mail in on helicopters because most of the bridges around were washed out. It was pretty wild. I got lots of cool pics of the devastation.

For some reason Westborough, Mass has some severe storms. A couple of weeks ago we had a heller storm. The lighting and thunder was so loud and close that it shook the building. My hotel got hit and it knocked out the fire alarm and the elevator. The office building across the street got hit and caught on fire. there was so much smoke that you could not see anything. I took some pictures but for some reason I can not download them.

We have some people from India staying here. During the storm they walk through the lobby with their swimsuits on with their kids. "Where are you going?" I asked. "We are going swimming." they said. I told them the pool was closed because of the storm. They looked at me weird. A few minutes later their husbands came to the desk. In a strong Indian accent they said "Why will you not let our wives and kids swim in the pool?" I explain to him that "in case he did not know" the loud noises he was hearing was thunder and lightining set the building across the street on fire. He said that his wife and kids wanted to swim. I told him I would not allow it. Is their some religious belief in India that swimming during a thunderstorm is good? I still do not get that conversation.

I think the worst lightning storm I have ever seen was in Korea in 1998. My room had a window air conditioner that was fairly loud...

WTF??? Window air conditioner?!?!?!? That's not the Casey/Hovey I remember!

I'm sure you guys also somehow managed to get running water during the obligatory month-long-water-outage, eh? No having to hoof it to the mokyokt'ang in T'okori for some good ol' communal bathing, hmmm?

Freakin' zoomies... :D

Never got to see a massive lightning display, but on more than a couple of occasions I saw those turtle ditches GONE, like under a few feet of water themselves!

May I never have to fill another sandbag there again. :P

Steve

Freakin' zoomies...

Yep...I lived in a small building next to the "Warrior Club" I had my own room ( I was an E-4 then) and it was pretty big. About 30X15 with cable TV, my own fridge, desk, several shelving units, and a queen size bed. That was really funny because I knew Army officers that didn't have their own room. Then we had a large kitchen in the break room with Big Screen TV and a Play Station. B| We also had our own bar. Originally it was just one of our vehicle bays that we fixed up. Then we got $130,000 worth of "Quality of life" money and had a new building put up to house the "Recreation room" :D The new bar was never as much fun though. In the old one we could play non-stop full contact "Crud" and no one complained when we broke stuff. In the new one we had to be civil. [:/] Being civil IS NOT what Korea is about.....;) Oh yeah...we also had the "Butterfly" collection on the wall.....:D:D That many "good girls" donated to. Of course...there was one that couldn't....I asked but she said she had just shaved that morning.:D:D:D:$