propblast

SEEN A PARACOMMANDER

I look at the ebay parachute listings every day and have only seen one PC go by in the last 6 months. It's rare. Too bad, really. I'd love to pick up a 60s rig myself. I have about 20 PC jumps (back during training in the mid 80s) and would love to use that equipment sometimes.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

I havent seen any for sale but I did see some funy stuff this weekend. Someone broke out an old pc he had rigged to pull behind a boat. Well it diddnt fly too well and Troy from skydiving magazine got a good short flight right into the grass and then into the water. Anyway he's not hurt except his pride and pc's dont make very good toys.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Someone broke out an old pc he had rigged to pull behind a boat. Well it diddnt fly too well and Troy from skydiving magazine got a good short flight right into the grass and then into the water.

Maybe the boat wasn't going fast enough.:)
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

If you see one on eBay, make sure it has a sleeve or POD (same function as bag). You will (as you but not others know) need a container big enough to hold it (probably bigger than your current main and reserve combined.) And you'll need canopy releases (Capewells); I don't know of anyone jumping one with three-rings.

There are at least three people in Massachusetts who jump a PC occasionally (once or twice a year). A fourth retired because no one would pack his antique reserve.

Speaking of eBay, did you see someone trying to sell a kicker plate for $7.50? We have one being used at the DZ as a keychain (so you can't but the key in your pocket.)

HW

In Texas I know a couple people who jump PCs, short line RW-PCs and some vintage T-10s quite a bit. Personally I really dig the vintage scene and the history of the sport, pretty interesting if you ask me. Almost, I almost got to jump a PC a couple months ago, after packing it (under very strict supervision), the winds picked up to a point where a virgin PC jumper would be in danger, so I didn't get to do it, yet. :)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

PCs are fun canopies (I have about 75 PC jumps, one of which was a streamer/cutaway). 1.9 oz. taffeta (as I recall) and a bunch of 550 cord, so it's going to be a lot heavier and bulkier than anything you're used to. Toggle pressures are nice and light and it turns on a dime, but you're going to have to pay close attention both to observing a rational upper limit for wind and to getting a good spot. Stand-ups maybe half the time; for the other half, you should practice your PLFs.

Make sure the canopy is in good trim; stretched-out rear lines make for hard openings, and stretched-out steering lines are asking for a malfunction. I liked a bag over a sleeve, but both work OK. Study the old owners manual thoroughly (still available, I think), or have a PC veteran walk you through your first pack job. The stabilizer panels can cause problems if they're not flaked out and dog-eared just right.

As somebody else mentioned, the PC may be rigged with Capewells. If so, do enough suspended harness drills to get comfortable. It's different! (I seem to remember hearing about some 3-ring-rigged PCs, though, and I don't see why that couldn't be done.)

Zounds ... rounds!!

Bravo-niner