jbrasher

Gypsy Moths

For those too young to remember, The Gypsy Months is a mostly really boring movie about skydivers who travel around the country jumping out of old airplanes at country fairs, etc. The jumping stuff at the beginning and end is neat, but there is a long, boring and improbable love story in between. The plot hinges on jumping "the cape," a batwing suit which seems to impair the ability to pull and therefore creates thrills.

Director is John Frankenthaler, who just died.

But the outtakes should be fun. There was a GM outtakes film years ago and it's probably part of the DVD. So I'll buy it.

Jerry Rouillard, briefly honcho of USPA, was one of the jumpers.

HW

Speaking of old movies about jumping, There was a short called "Proof" a whole long time ago. It was a hilarious parody of a first jump course. Later the short was re-filmed for a mediocre mainstream movie called Fandango.

I sure would like a copy of Proof...

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Proof? :)
a short made by Kevin Reynolds while he was at USC.
When Steven Speiberg saw it he hired him to do Fandango.
The short was much better than Fandango and I remember my stomach hurting for hours the first time I saw it.
It was filmed at Cal City and if you look at the chest mount reserve you'll see PERRIS VALLEY on it. A little humor from the Cal City people.
I'd buy it on DVD, the copy I have is VHS and 20 years old I bought from Carl Boenish.

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

Do a Google search on Gypsy Moths skydiving, and you'll find a lot. It appears Carl Boenish was involved, and as I said Jerry Rouillard was, too.

http://www.drought.com/gypsy.htm

will give you all or part of the text of the novel on which the movie was based.

Don't remember who else we might know (of) was involved but I'm sure the DVD will have a lot of this.

Not to spoil the story , but it's *&% * who goes in.

HW