freeflir29

Bye Bye Voodoo!! SHIT!!

Well, just got off the phone with my mechanic. The good news...there's nothing wrong with my transfer case. The bad news....most of the bearings in my transmission are trash. So...for $1410 I can have them all replaced...oh and lets add another $200 for me to order a new front drive shaft since I took that off a couple weeks ago. It's garbage too. So....$1610 later my Jeep will be all good again. Thats just about what a brand new Voodoo would have cost. It's always something.......[:/]

Are you absolutely sure you need that car???

He could always try pulling his skirt up to hitch hike.

Okay, okay, so I guess he does need the car after all.:P
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

So....$1610 later my Jeep will be all good again

That's just about what it's gonna cost to get my Jeep fixed after the deer incident.... Hmmpfff..

Peas~
Lindsey
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

What kind 'o Jeep?

'82 CJ-7. 258 6 cylinder, Weber 430 CFM carb, T-4 tranny with Dana 300 transfer case. The damn transfer case has 250,000 miles on it and there is nothing wrong with it. This is transmission number 3 (Second time replacing it). Put a new engine in it in 1998 and it only has about 45,000 miles on it now. I have owned it since 1991 and have quite the love hate relationship with it. Hard top and doors and of course I have a Bikini top for it. I'll probably never get rid of it. Every time I think I should sell it I have something like this happen and don't want to sell it for nothing because of one part. Someday when I get a job that actually pays well I want a hybrid Honda civic as a grocery getter and road trip car. One of these days......

I'm in the same boat.. actually, the hybrid is what I was looking at aswell.. My YJ has the in-line 6 cyl... the hybrid would be the exact opposite as far as gas consuption goes. We've nicknamed my Jeep "Boozer" Each time I fill her up, I'm reminded that this is a toy.. not a means of transportation :D

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Now all you need are some Dana 44s, a Waren setup and something in the range of 33" to put under each corner...:D

I love Jeeps, someday I'll have one, an older one, one that I can build to be a trail monster. I love the offroading but hate to do any sort of serious stuff in my truck because I know it'll get f***ed up on the trail...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

BTW..Ummm...Justin....why are you surfing sites about livestock?

If I didn't read up, how the hell could I ever carry on a conversation with you, Skreamer or Remster?

The effort I have to go through to maintain these friendships....

;) :P

How much for a new transmission ?

Well..the only thing wrong with the old one is several of the bearings are gone So...if you replace one you replace them all. Nothing wrong with the gears and such but it's the labor that kills ya. In 1995 I bought another tranny for $750. If I had to replace this one I would go with a T-5 and that is $1600 outright for the tranny and then you have to put it in....This time I am just getting all the bearings replaced but the labor is a kick in the nuts. $1410 is the estimate.

Clay you gotta good ride.Your 300 transfer case is a very strong and sought after unit. Before you plunk down money on another t-4 you may want to investigate other tranny options. For your jeep there are alot if your a tinkerer. Or a direct replacement with a little number called a "world class" T-5. Our jeeps have borg warners with sleeve bushings the world class units have nice tapered roller bearings and can be found in mustangs and other high output street cars. If you find one in salvage make sure the shaft length and size and spline count are the same. If you can't deal with this much tinkering now you can buy it new from various aftermarket jeep sources or advanced adapters. Bad part, est $2200 good part you will not ever break it. Be glad you don't have the french tranny that came in some later wranglers its over $3000 to replace and garanteed to break again.
And now I apologize to everyone else if I sound like a jeep tech weenie from offroad.com. Just trying to help a brother score a Voodoo and keep his jeep.
Glen

Your 300 transfer case is a very strong and sought after unit.

Yep...250,000 miles and still going strong. My bad...I have an SR-4 tranny....not a T-4. The SR-4 is much better. I saw those T-5's from Advanced Adapters but didn't know about the quality. I know the original T-5's they used in some Jeeps are pretty weak compared to my SR-4. I can get a AA T-5 for $1700 plus shipping and the serious pain in the ass of changing it out....;)

yep, a brand new T-5 from 4 wheel drive catalog is about 2K, the adaptor plate is about 2 hundred and the stick shift about 100......you need the adaptor plate because the ford tansmission will not directly fit to your 258. i would call around some of the shops and see if they have any rebuilt and waiting on a buyer, T-5's are really popular. while you are at it, get the fly wheel turned and replace the clutch and maybe the slave. this is a really easy job and it is not much different than repairing a go-cart! i have dropped the entire drive train from my 87 wrangler and put it back together in 1 day by myself. by the way, how much fluid did the mechanic say was in it? no ever checks or changes standard trans fluid! if we lived closer, i would help you out and help you fix it. the only thang more fun than working on your jeep is driving it!:P

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"