Randana

Handicapped Student

Hey Folks; I lost my left arm at the shoulder at age 14. I am now 43. My wife and I tried skydiving a little over a week ago (tandems) and loved it!! We both would like to pursue the sport, but I am having troubles locating someone with equipment for a right-hand-only participant. Am I doomed to only tandem jumps? Any suggestions?

Drop Bill Booth a PM or an e-mail (he usually posts over in Gear and Rigging). If anyone would be able to give you a very knowledgable heads up, he could (understatement).
Good luck! :)A human cannonball, I rise above it all
Up higher then a trapeze, I can fly

This is a great question for Lisa...aka...skybytch. She may not be on line right now, but you can pm her.
Good Luck to you.
BTW, I have done alot of skiing and I have seen so many amputees (meaning legs!) who are better skiiers than I am. I bet there is a way for you and you can have equipment custom made.
If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.
Chris

BTW, we have another handicapped person here at Dropzone.com. His name is Clay and he posts as Freeflir29. His problem is with farm animals and he is also a post whore. If they allow him at the DZ, I imagine they would allow anyone.:D
If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.
Chris

Randal;
I'm glad to hear that you and Dana enjoyed your tandems. I know of no reason why you couldn't skydive solo. Although I can't think of a skydiver with a missing arm, I know of several people who jump with missing legs. I don't know the exact degree of your loss, but apparently you didn't fall out of the tandem harness, so I imagine a solo harness, maybe with a little customizing, would work for you. All activation handles on a normal solo skydiving rig can be activated with the right hand. Landing a stable canopy, with light toggle pressure, with one arm certainly can be done. Find an experienced parachute dealer or rigger in your area, and let him help you figure out exactly how it can be done.

>but I am having troubles locating someone with equipment for a
>right-hand-only participant.
There are several manufacturers who make such equipment. It is definitely not standard issue; you'll probably have to talk with them quite a bit about exactly what you need. The issues you'll have to deal with are:
1. Harness geometry. The manufacturer will have to ensure that the harness geometry does not allow the main lift web to slide over/past your left shoulder on opening.
2. Cutaway/reserve handles. You will likely want an SOS (single operation system) - one handle that both disconnects the main and opens the reserve. They are ordinarily on the left side, but it should be possible to relocate the handle to the right side.
3. Main/reserve canopy steering system. There are several ways to get around not being able to use the left toggle on most ram-air parachutes, including using both toggles in one hand. A larger reserve can be landed without ever releasing the brakes, steering using risers only.
4. Student gear. It's unlikely that any DZ's out there will have such gear off the shelf; that might mean having to buy gear that is appropriate for your student program (AFF, I would assume.) If you bought just the harness/container, though, I'd bet you could find a DZ willing to swap out the canopies and AAD for your student program
-bill von

While were talking about the gear, why not try some coach time in a wind tunnel?
Start to learn how to fly your body and it will help your instructors when you can say - This is the body position I can use for stable ff, turns, pull - I practiced and learned it in the wind tunnel.
:::OK, Canopy is Open, No Traffic Around, .. Why are these "Extra" Lines Draping Down??, Damn!

Here's an interesting thread about an all ampute skydiving team called "Pieces of Eight." There's a picture posted there that shows some missing arms, as well as a friend of ours Bob Clark (tall bearded guy in the back row - leg ampute). So my point, I see 13 people here that have overcome the very thing you're talking about just to do something they truly love. As everyone else has said... anything's possible with a little effort.
BTW: Bob Clark is still one of THE best skydivers I've ever jumped with - He's BADASS!
Blues!
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

I have dislocated my shoulder 3 times in freefall. After I had to land the first one in a lot of pain I learned to land my canopy with one hand. Put both toggles in one hand and you can steer, flair and land very effectively. Depending on your strength you might have to find a canopy with light toggle pressure. Also want to look for something fairly docile. If the gear people can hook you up with a safe rig, the canopy control should not be a terrible issue. Good Luck!

You know, just when you get all knotted up in the technical stuff along comes someone that hits you up-side the head with simple common sense.
It only stands to reason that - in the event of post-egress injury - you would want to be able to work the controls 'single handedly'. Why didn't I think of that?
I am SO glad that I found this site! You folks are great.
My wife and I are now planning a trip to Tennessee to see about playing in a wind tunnel.

Al Kruger is part of Pieces of Eight and has been jumping with a hook for many years. Do you have an appliance for your lost limb? If not, can one be fitted for it? He packs for himself, does accuracy and a wonderful skydiver. Talk to POE and see what they suggest.
FYI, he once had a team called "captian hook and the sky pirates" a LONG time ago.
SKYDIVING GAVE ME A REASON TO LIVE....

I've written to him, but as yet haven't received a reply. My amputation is just below the shoulder (actually, I have a shoulder and nothing else) so my prosthesis is little more than a decoration (no shoulder movement, slow elbow movement, no wrist movement).
I guess the big obstacle at this point is finding an instructor. Most folks I've talked to are uncomfortable teaching you something they don't do themselves. And they are all uncomfortable with students making big dents in their roofs. LOL

Dear Randana:

Hope you have been in contact with Al K. by now--he is a great guy. I am a single below-knee amputee and just started jumping last month--I passed AFF Level 5 last week and going back to finish in a few weeks.

If you've got the bug (and I sure have) then nothing will stop you! Look forward to joining you on a POE jump someday!

Hoppy Landings,

Skypeg

i know there is a jumper at cleveland sport parachute that has a prostetic forearm. he puts a U shaped attatchment on that he can pull his reserve handle with. he only has a right arm. his gear looks fairly normal otherwise..maybe someone there would know more about his situation..www.clevelandparachute.com
Blue Skies!
Mary B
Sandillas Rodriguez
Muff Brother #2959 TF #77