A12

Container Question

Here's some background to my question:

I'll be graduating college this upcoming May, my parents are looking for a different graduation gift for me. They are looking for something that isn't always done. I suggested to them that they could buy my rig and I think the idea might have stuck.

Now for the question:
I'm figuring that in the next year I'll be ready for my own rig. I'm just wondering if I go through the effort of having my container fitted for me, will I be able to downsize my main in the same container?? I don't want to go through the whole process of getting fitted for a container to find out that in 2 years I want to downsize and need to do it all again.

Thanks!
If you want to fly, get out of the plane!

My Homepage
My Blogger

Oh, I can get them to go for the whole thing...I'm just looking to see what I can get new and what I should get used.

I understand its a good idea to get the main used so that I can downsize etc...but I am just wondering if my container needs to be changed too or if there is a good one that fits different mains.
If you want to fly, get out of the plane!

My Homepage
My Blogger

In short, no.

When you downsize your main more than about one size, you really need to trade in your container, too (you generally can't get it modified, either). It's not a good idea to jump an oversized container, because the slop in your pack tray can flap around in freefall and lead to some gnarly malfunctions.

My advice:

Get Mom and Dad to spring for a new Cypress, a complete used rig, and as many jumps as they'll do. That way, when you are ready to trade down, you won't have wasted the cash on your first rig (I got some new stuff for my first, and the only thing I don't regret spending the extra cash on is the Cypress).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

depends on what kind of container ya get... i fit a sabre 150 in my old racer that held my pd210 in it that's a dwonsize of 60sq.ft!!!! and it held it well and safe............and skydiving is sort of like computers... in a few years they will have something faster and smaller out there and you might want something diffrent...let your parents spring for the new stuff..........by the time you want to downsize you'll know exactly what ya want to get and you'll know how long you'll probly want to be at that level for...........and don't worry......a bigger parachute never hurt anyone.........so in all you wopuld never need to downsize and could jump that gear forever........ okay... i relize that nothing i just typed makes sence so please disregard.... i think it's the witdraw from wffc that is affecting me,,,, i can't think strai and my mind keeps wondering back to the girll flashing me............

In short, no.

When you downsize your main more than about one size, you really need to trade in your container, too (you generally can't get it modified, either). It's not a good idea to jump an oversized container, because the slop in your pack tray can flap around in freefall and lead to some gnarly malfunctions.

yes and no, depending on the container, you can downsize a main a lot (rigs with bottom of tray closing loops like the racer come to mind). you can also get a pillow added to the main packing tray to take up volume -slightly ugly but functional.