degeneration

USPA rigging qualifications

What are the names of the different USPA rigging qualifications?

I know the BPA ones:
Advanced Parachute Packers (APPs)
Basic Riggers (BRs)
Parachute Riggers (PRs)
Advanced Riggers (ARs)
Rigger Examiners (REs)

in increasing order of seniority.

What are the USPA ones?

Thanks.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

USPA has no authority or authorization to oversee or manage riggers in the US, it all falls under the FAA.

There are 2 basic rigger licenses, Master Parachute Rigger and Senior Parachute Rigger (Master is the higher of the two).

There are 4 different privileges for each level and they specify the type of parachute container that rigger is authorized, they are:

Seat
Back
Chest
Lap

One could also be a Designated Parachute Rigger Examiner (DPRE) and they are generally very experienced Master riggers appointed by the FAA to test applicants.

An FAA certificated parachute rigger will have either a Senior or Master certificate with one or more 'type ratings'. (Master rigger has to have 2 type ratings)

My certificate is: Senior Parachute Rigger, Back;Seat.

These are important because with my current license, I am not allowed to pack 'Lap' or 'Chest' type systems (granted nobody really has a Lap rating these days and most people will never be asked to pack a Chest rig)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Thanks.

Is there a basic qualification for people that are just authorised to pack reserve parachutes (like the BPA Advanced Packer rating)?
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

degeneration

Is there a basic qualification for people that are just authorised to pack reserve parachutes (like the BPA Advanced Packer rating)?

In the US you have to be either FAA certificated or a military rigger to pack personnel reserves for use.

Senior rigger is the entry to the FAA rigging certificates, there is not currently an approved rating lower just for packing reserves.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

GooniesKid

it ain't very hard to get basic quals to just pack reserves....i know people who don't even have a high school diploma that have rigger quals :o

I never said it was hard, but to be worth your seal, you should work to keep current and learn more.

I know plenty of people that can't read or write too well, but put a wrench in their hand and they can rebuild a car. The FAA requires that you are able to read and speak english. No requirement on a high school diploma or college degree.

Thanks for your replies. You've given me the exact info I was after!

Do you, or anyone else for that matter, know if rigging/reserve packing qualifications are different for other Parachute Authorities around the world?

degeneration

Thanks for your replies. You've given me the exact info I was after!

Do you, or anyone else for that matter, know if rigging/reserve packing qualifications are different for other Parachute Authorities around the world?

I do know that pretty much every country has their own rules. I don't keep track of them. Good luck finding it all. :D

:P

JerryBaumchen

Hi Robert,

granted nobody really has a Lap rating these days

Might I suggest that you check with Terry Urban on this; he is known as councilman24 on this site.

;)

JerryBaumchen

Yeah, I know.. but nobody else really has it. :P

APF
http://www.apf.asn.au/Forms---Publications/All-Publications/Manuals-and-Publications/Operational-Regulations/default.aspx

Packer ‘B’ Privileges

The privileges of Packer ‘B’ are to inspect, pack and carry out Daily Maintenance on main parachutes with which the Packer ‘B’ is familiar.

Packer ‘A’ Privileges

The privileges of a Packer ‘A’ are to:
(a) Exercise all the privileges of a Packer ‘B’; and
(b) Inspect, pack, certify as airworthy and carry out Daily Maintenance on reserve and emergency parachutes with which the Packer ‘A’ is familiar.

Rigger Privileges

(a) The privileges of a rigger are to:
(i) Exercise the privileges of a Packer ‘A’;
(ii) Carry out repairs provided the repair does not include any design alteration;
(iii) Carry out modifications or alterations to specifications approved by the Director Rigging or manufacturer of the parachute;
(iv) Manufacture non-certified parachute parts; and
(v) If a CASA certificate of approval is held – manufacture certified parachute parts in accordance with the manufacturer’s specification
(b) A rigger is required to comply with mandatory APF equipment standards for the manufacture or Maintenance of both certified and non-certified parachute parts
(c) For the purposes of this regulation:
(i) A “certified parachute part” means a part of an emergency or reserve parachute that is required to comply with APF equipment standards; and
A “non-certified parachute part” means a main parachute and any other part of a parachute, including but not limited to an Automatic Activation Device, in respect of which the APF has issued an APF equipment standard; and
(ii) The APF equipment standards must specify if compliance with the standard for the manufacture or maintenance of a part is mandatory or optional

The Canadian Sports Parachuting Association licenses Riggers at two different levels.
Rigger A is allowed to inspect, assemble and pack reserves. RA is also allowed to do some hand-sewing and replace components with a wrench or screw-driver.
RA can be certified to pack round or square reserves, 1-pin sport containers, 2-pin sport containers, Pop-Top reserve containers or chest containers. Chest containers are only retained for historical amusement because no civilians jump them on a regular basis in Canada anymore.
The Rigger A1 course introduces sewing machines, simple machine-sewn patches and tandems.
The Rigger A2 course includes advanced machine sewing techniques, complex repairs and pilot emergency parachutes.
A Canadian Rigger A1 has most of the same skills as an American Senior Rigger.
The Rigger B course wraps up complex repairs and pilot emergency parachutes.
A Canadian Rigger B is qualified to the same level as an American Master Rigger.