Muenkel

Who here prays regularly?

I try to sacrifce at least one chicken a week. That has the same effect as praying right? I mean you do it to express your fears and make yourself feel better about the situation? Right? So who's to say which method works best?

Welcome to the New World Order. Expect no Mercy.

Correction... organized religion is one of the greatest causes of suffering in the world (but also sometimes a tool for good).

-------------

When you really examine the definitions, religion IS organization.

It's like the role of politics in life. Politics is everywhere...it's an individual's method of acheiving social goals, whether that be simple friendships, jobs, or government. It's the knowing of the people to whom one relates and using that to acheive within the given demographic.

Religion is the politics of spirituality. Just like focusing on one party or another (politics) rather than the entire picture of government, people pull their eyes away from spirituality to focus on this manmade political agenda that we call religion.

I read a book called Mere Christianity by CS Lewis because it was recommended to me by MANY Chritians saying, "if you want to understand, you have to read this book. Lewis really explains it great." I got through the book and wanted to take it back to the people who had recommended it, and ask if they had actually read it themselves. It actually says inside those pages, those that Christians told me I HAD TO READ, that he believes that spirituality will be what determines eternal fate, meaning regardless of your political party, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc., it is the spirituality that will carry you after this life.

I thought that made a lot of sense.

-S

I try to sacrifce at least one chicken a week. That has the same effect as praying right? I mean you do it to express your fears and make yourself feel better about the situation? Right? So who's to say which method works best?

Dude. When you're hungry killing and eating a chicken will make you feel much better.

When you feel lost and in doubt killing and eating a chicken will make you feel full.:ph34r: If it also makes you feel better, great. Can I eat the extra ones?

yep, I pray everyday throughout the day. It is the only way I won't drive myself crazy worrying about and family and friends and bills--that is a big one, oh, and of course on the way to altitude. B|
I don't go to church or anything, but I do feel like a have strong spirituality and I am happy with that. It makes me sad to hear people bash each other about religious differences--oh, especially when they are drunk and arguing. that is even better...>:(
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The mind is like a parachute--it works better when it is open. JUMP.
MaryRose

Personally I preffer sacrificing virgins. More fun than doing it with chickens, but to each his own;). Are there any virgins on this Forum who want me to sacrifice themB|?
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Personally I preffer sacrificing virgins. More fun than doing it with chickens, but to each his own;). Are there any virgins on this Forum who want me to sacrifice themB|?

Calling Viking...

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

your quite correct, god is not here, he resides in heaven, but his angels are here watching over us.

I think your Lutheran learning is a bit different than mine. We were taught the three omnis -- That God is Omnipotent, Omniscient, and Omnipresent.

Yes, He gave his angels charge to watch over us, but He is present in all things according to what we were taught. Really seems that the Native Americans weren't that far off in their respect of the spirits in all aspects of the world.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

"sacrificing virgins". I can see why Hawaiians threw virgins in the volcano. If a girl is giving a guy the big smile, there would be a little fight before they toss her in. Virgins ? Toss 'em. ;) Wouldn't that be a great line on a Friday night date - "Hey honey, going to the party at the volcano Saturday night ?" "How'd you like to be exempt ?":ph34r:

Really seems that the Native Americans weren't that far off in their respect of the spirits in all aspects of the world.

---------------

HA!

My speculation of an Indian's response to that...

[cut and paste] Really seems that the [jceman isn't] that far off in [his] respect of the spirits in all aspects of the world. [/end cut and paste].

We may know, but we don't [can't] know that we know, and to operate otherwise brings out the worst in us.

-S

You should have gone postal on them. I trust you do have a gun in your car (we are in the South after all). It is the Mother of all movies. And let no person tell me this in deviating from the topic - the Blues Brothers were on a mission from God;)
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Really seems that the Native Americans weren't that far off in their respect of the spirits in all aspects of the world.

i'm in complete agreement with this statement.
i'm missouri-synod lutheran, (the lutheran faith is a "spin-off" of catholocism, after Martin Luther posted his manefesto on the monestary doors) there's also american-synod lutherans, the differences are fairly basic, but the american-synod believes a little more of the catholocism than we do as missouri-synod lutheran's do. we believe in the triune god-god the father-god the son, and god the holy spirit, three in one. a lot of people can't comprehend how such a powerful loving entity can "let so much bad stuff happen" the bad things that happen are not of god's doings. god gave all men a free will, and a competant mind, to think with, and do as they choose.
now, this brings us to the "end of the day" sort of thing. whose right, and who's wrong? i don't have that answer, and i don't believe anyone here has a definitive answer either. god is beyond human comprehension, that's the reason we must have "faith" the same "faith" we have in our parachutes so to speak, they work, not because we know they will everytime, but we have "faith" in our equipment, so should we have "faith" in whatever your personal beliefs are. i believe what i believe, because i was raised that way, and the bible tells me so, so i have faith. having said that, when it comes to differences in faiths, sexual preferences, etc...i believe in "live, and let live" i believe you CANNOT cram a different religion/personal belief, or lifestyle down someone else's throat, because i also believe that everyone has the right to believe as they choose to.
i am in "tune" with my spirituality, my sexuality, and my professional life, now, if i could just get the hang of this sky diving stuff! B|

everyone, take care, be safe, god bless.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Hitler, Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot

What do they all have in common? In addition to being ruthless, genocidal dictators, they were all "atheists" or at least called themselves that.

I think the problem isn't religion so much as fanaticism. Fanaticism isn't quite the right word, since it seems to imply religion...but I haven't heard a better word for it... It starts when people try to make rational* decisions based on irrational* beliefs. Religion has certainly given lots of people the inspiration to do horrible deeds, but this distinction belongs not exclusively to organized faith.

Disorganized "faith" will do the trick too.

* I don't mean irrational in a derogative context...just a descriptive context. Maybe a better way to put it would be decisions of non-trivial worldly consequence vs trivial. Surely no person in his or her right mind is purely rational.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I'm an atheist.

To me, all religions are kind of the same when you boil the fluff out of them. It is all summed up with two words: "Be Good". The means and the reason are all that differ. The problems are when religious people twist things or use their religion as a justification for doing bad things.

Catholics - Be Good, or burn in hell.
Buddhists - Be Good, and escape the cycle of rebirth.
Jews - Be Good, because we told you to, or we'll make you feel guilty.
Quakers - Be Good, can we all agree on that?
Etc...

I choose to attempt to be good for its own sake, and the hope that people will respond in kind. That is enough for me, without attributing it anything spiritual or supernatural.