rgoper

What Motivates A Person...

...to use their internet expertise to load up someone's mailbox with useless spam? i'm glad i have McAfee "spamkiller" it won't let such messages through, and in fact it eradicates them on a time interval that i select. whomever you are, please stop. also with the new McAfee program, you can trace back to the original ISP and original e-mail sender's address. so, in any event, you know who you are, and so do i. so cut it the f**k out. your antics are juvenile to say the least...grow up already.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

That's sad if that is someone from our community, for sure.

On a side note, I just read an article about spammers in Newsweek. It said 90% of the spam we get in the US is from less than 150 people. One guy sends out 30 million spam e-mails a day! He is surely on my shitlist now!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I can't belive the amount of crap that I'm sent at DZ.com, what kind of weirdo gets off on sending rubbish to people?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Since I work as a part time mail administrator here at work, I can tell you that 90% of the time those programs can't find their way out of your mailbox let along back to the real sender of the spam. I've worked with one of the major vendors for 3 months now on understanding the smallest things in email in attempts to trace mail to the ISP and users. Spoofing is so common that even the major vendor just ignore most of the spam their product is designed to filter out. I've wrote blackhole lists, content rules and 1000 different ways to block spam but yet it still keeps coming in to the company. I've went from an estimated 60000 pieces of spam a week inbound to my users to less then 5000. I think its a major victory, and so do my storage servers.

If you have ever published your email address on a webpage, including here, you can safely assume a bot has found the address and has added it to at least 1 list. Some programs sit just outside ISP's and sniff traffic for addresses, others scan webpages and the ones I really hate piggyback into mail servers and export the entire population. If you've been infected with a virus it populates your address on the net as does reponding to the "Remove me" addresses.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I am a bit computer illiterate. What exactly is spam? Are you referring to all the junk emails you get to your hotmail or yahoo account? I have my junk mail filter on high and I still get about 20-25 junk e's in my inbox. The number also seems to be going up, even though I do not open them.

It said 90% of the spam we get in the US is from less than 150 people. One guy sends out 30 million spam e-mails a day! He is surely on my shitlist now!

Mine too. The sick part about it is he doesn't send them out... his automated software does. He just sits back and collects checks from the companies who hire him.

The other thing to note is that as recently as a couple years ago the vast, vast majority of network traffic on the internet was email. It may still be, but with all the streaming crap and file-sharing it may not hold the lead by quite as much.

My point being, if email makes up a large portion, if not majority, of internet traffic, and you get way, way more spam in your inbox than legitimate mail, imagine how much better network performance would be if spam were eradicated.

And if we got junk mail to the same degree that we get spam these days, we'd all need dumpsters in front of our homes to hold it all. >:(

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Clicking on those addresses just verifies that your email address is active and you read the emails. Thats a large portion of the fight in the marketers eyes to getting you to buy a product. People that respond are basiclly put on a perfered customer list.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have found that using a throwdrown address helps. My "real" business address isn't even on my cards. The clients I am working for use it but it is a mailbox of the public account.
In addition, I have a mailbox used only for on line buying.
When surfing and finding a site that requires an address to enter I either use a made up address such as tamu.edu ;) or a Yahoo account that I dont even check.
I stilll get spam but it is easier to cull.
Carl