rgoper

Hey "Yuppie Sky Divers"

www.rigdog.com/yuppie/

hey guys/gals:

this is the page mountainman constructed for the "Yuppie Sky Divers" ain't it kewel? thanks Brandon!! B|;):) so the quicker we get your avitars, the quicker we can get them on site! (oh, tiff, i'll get your last name changed...sorry, my fault) is bbarnhouse, and freebird hot, are what??
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Technically true, but Yuppie (at least in my mind) connotes arrogance & materialism... often at the expense of ethics.

I'd fit the m-w definition technically, but I stay as far away as I possibly can from the true Yuppie crowd. :P

I'd rather hang with someone who is dirt poor and a decent person (hell, I'd rather be dirt poor and a decent person) than some superficial snob who measures personal worth by the car one drives, the house one lives in and the trophy wife one parades around at cocktail parties.

No thanks. They can keep it.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

'd rather hang with someone who is dirt poor and a decent person (hell, I'd rather be dirt poor and a decent person) than some superficial snob who measures personal worth by the car one drives, the house one lives in and the trophy wife one parades around at cocktail parties.

I'd agree with you. However, I'd rather live in a relaly nice house then a dump, rather drive a BMW then a Chevy, and if I'm not attracted to my wife there's something fundamentally wrong.

I don't think any of these things make me superficial.

And yes, I'm relatively young, live downtown, and am a profesional. Yuppie. Guilty. I don't think I've got anything to apologise for, either.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

'd rather hang with someone who is dirt poor and a decent person (hell, I'd rather be dirt poor and a decent person) than some superficial snob who measures personal worth by the car one drives, the house one lives in and the trophy wife one parades around at cocktail parties.

I'd agree with you. However, I'd rather live in a relaly nice house then a dump, rather drive a BMW then a Chevy, and if I'm not attracted to my wife there's something fundamentally wrong.

I don't think any of these things make me superficial.

And yes, I'm relatively young, live downtown, and am a profesional. Yuppie. Guilty. I don't think I've got anything to apologise for, either.

_Am

I agree with you Andy. To me, liking nice things and appreciating physical beauty is not a bad thing.

As long as you don't push your own beliefs on someone and try to make them believe the same as you, I'm good to go.

:)
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

I must be having one of those bad online communications nights cuz everyone keeps taking what I'm saying the wrong way. :P

I don't have a problem with that either. Heck I drive a BMW myself (cuz I like the performance and they run forever). I like my electronic gadgets & skydiving toys.

What I'm talking about is priorities. Sure I like having nice things and doing what I want to do (like skydiving my butt off).

But that's not what makes me me. If all that went away tomorrow, sure I'd be bummed, but I still have myself, my family and hopefully my friends.

What I have a problem with are people who define themselves, their worth and the worth of others by their material possessions and socio-economic status.

- Z

I must be having one of those bad online communications nights cuz everyone keeps taking what I'm saying the wrong way. :P

I don't have a problem with that either. Heck I drive a BMW myself (cuz I like the performance and they run forever). I like my electronic gadgets & skydiving toys.

What I'm talking about is priorities. Sure I like having nice things and doing what I want to do (like skydiving my butt off).

But that's not what makes me me. If all that went away tomorrow, sure I'd be bummed, but I still have myself, my family and hopefully my friends.

What I have a problem with are people who define themselves, their worth and the worth of others by their material possessions and socio-economic status.

Ahh...good call, Zennie.

I admit I took your post the wrong way. Sorry. :)
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

Zennie:

the whole inception (you know, you were in on the original thread) was to include everyone in a prosperous view so to speak. it has nothing to do with what you have, or how much of it you have, i went to great strides to make it to where everyone could be included, not just the real "Yuppies" it is a fun thing, and as i said, it is to be concieved in no other way other than the spirit in which it is offered. and it is offered out of kinship and brotherhood/sisterhood. it also sets a standard of behaviour, and protocol for lending a hand to others when needed. personally, it's not a money issue, or material possession issue, it's a humanatarian issue.

The Requirements For Obtaining a "Yuppie" sky diver number.

1) you must be a sky diver!
2) you must be a dropzone.com member.
3) you must have an impeccable safety record
4) you must have an annual income of at least $12,000.00-$1,000,000.00-$2,500,000.00 a year, or be in college.
5) you must own an automobile that "could" be considered a sports, or luxury automobile, even if it's a junker!
6) someone must have taken a "shot" at you for being a Yuppie, at least once in the last 6 months
7) you must conduct yourself with the utmost restraint, even under the heaviest of fire
8) you must give freely, and willingly to the newbies of our sport, giving back when you can
9) when you see a place where your "Yuppie" brother, or sister could, or is stumbling, you must render aid, if you can.
10) last, but not least, be safe, have fun, and when you can, lend a hand.
11) one last condition (i don't want anyone left out) if you come close to meeting, or exceeding the requirements, your in, and if a fellow Yuppie gives their blessing, they have the power to bestow a "Yuppie Sky Diver" number upon you! this is for fun, and hopefully we can help a few people along the way!

**optional**
1) have matching gear
2) have some of the newest, most innovative sky diving toys
3) establish your own website

this is all in fun, and not intended to be anything other than in the spirit in which it is offered. it all started with someone "cracking" on me for owning a sportscar, i therefore assigned myself a "Yuppie" skydiver number, and have since had request to be a "Yuppie" sky diver, and what the criteria was...here it is! blues.............

i'm sorry, but i truly don't see what you are referring to in the above. and i'm sorry you percieve it the way you do, if you would like to be removed let me know, i thought it would be fun, i guess you don't see the humor in it. apologies in advance if it offended you. take care, best of wishes always.
--Richard--

Would like to become a YUPPIE skydiver and meet many of the qualifications (really hot '98 Honda Civic Viper), but I am closer to being a SITCOM than a YUPPIE.

SITCOM = Single Income, Two Children, Outrageous Mortgage.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

i'm sorry, but i truly don't see what you are referring to in the above. and i'm sorry you percieve it the way you do,

Man, I'm really having a bad communications day. :(

I know your Yuppie Skydiving #s are just satire. I don't have a problem with what you're doing. IIRC you started that after someone was calling people who showed up at the DZ in expensive cars and color-coordinated equipment "Yuppie Skydivers".

According to their definition I would be.

I was just following Jennifer's thread of discussion regarding what a Yuppie truly is and noting that I don't really care to associate myself with those kinds of people. That's all.

What you're doing is just good fun and there's no harm in it. If anything it sort of tweaks the people who are equaly shallow and immediately label those who drive nice cars and have nice things "yuppies". That's equally unfair and dehumanizing. I hate class warfare crap (from both sides). >:(

- Z

If anything it sort of tweaks the people who are equaly shallow and immediately label those who drive nice cars and have nice things "yuppies". That's equally unfair and dehumanizing.

Zennie:

BINGO! now on that we agree. this is exactly what started it, but hey, i can take a joke, but i can dish it out to, if need be, but i'm getting to the point where i'm "non-confrontational" there is no ego here, and i've lived long enough to realize my mortality, and life is too short and we don't get but "one ride" hope this finds you well, and happy zennie! c ya at AOTMB! high altitude jumps from 20K friday morning, "i'm in like flint!" B|
--Richard--

Well... I might as well respond to this entire thing since I'm the cause of it. I'm a yuppie in most senses of the word. I'm young, professional, and moving upward in the management ladder. I live in the city, can't do with out most the conviences of it now that I'm used to them too. I used to have a sports car, I sold it to pay for school. Most my gear some what matches (I don't know where the yellow main fits in).

Count me in for a yuppie number.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I was just following Jennifer's thread of discussion

JESSICA!!!!!!!!

You know why that's funny? Because in real life, at work, at the dz, everywhere, I get called "Jennifer" at least twice a week. I thought I just must look like a Jennifer, but maybe I type like one too. ;)

Oh, and Tim, I knew exactly what you meant with your posts on yuppiedom. I'm a dictionary yuppie too.

Oops, I mean Ted. Hee hee hee. :)
Skydiving is for cool people only

Count me in for a yuppie number.

Phree:

you will be assingned "Yuppie # 0015

Flyhi:

you will be assigned "Yuppie # 0014

jumperpaula, you will be assigned # 0017

tad bad, you will be assigned # 0018

e-mail your jpeg image, and home dz and we'll getcha posted!
[email protected]

bbarnhouse #0001
zennie #0002
nick #0003
skymama #0004
pop #0005
rgoper #0006
michele #0007
freebird #0008
coho21 #0009
hobbes4star #0010
reprobate #0011
yoshi #0012
kingbunky #0013
flyhi #0014
PhreeZone #0015
n2skdvn #0016
jumperpaula # 0017
tad bad # 0018

This part of Rigdog.com is partially because of the fine folks (Sangiro) at Dropzone.com. Drop on by!
--Richard--