fasterfaller

How messed up is this

Phoenix has several swingers clubs for couples . Phoenix passed a law a few years ago outlawing sex in a club . They want them shut down to help stop the spread of aids . They got raided last weekend and the owners arrested again . Heres what's messed up about it . There are three gay bathhouses in town and the police refuse to even talk about them . If the city of Phoenix really cared they would shut them down too . I thought the law was there to help prevent the spread of aids . Is this screwed up or is it ok to have sex in a sex club if you are gay . Talk about selective enforcement .

Quite simple. Gay bathhouses are frequented by gay men, a 'protected minority.' Swingers clubs are frequented by middle-aged white couples, or 'fair game.' To go after the gay bathhouses in the same manner would be a political nightmare for the police chief, mayor, govenor, etc etc. As far as that 'spread of AIDS bit' (and this is just my opinion) but I would think that a swinging couple would be more likely to use protection to prevent the possibility of infecting their spouse.

On another note, I find it even more amusing that Nevada is the only state where whore houses are still legal but the swingers clubs are not.

Here's another 'selective sitatuon' I remember back when I was in Erie, PA which was trying to shut down the titty bars in the city. At one of these clubs a dancer was being accosted by a patron, who was thrown out. After her shift, the dancer was leaving out the back where the same guy was waiting for her in the alley. By the time the police arrived, she had pretty much pounded him into the pavement (described by the cops as a 'semi-conscious' state). Pretty much anyone would have said 'good for her.' But given the current political motivation for the city, she ended up in county for aggravated assault because she "went to far in her own defense."

Why do the people in government always feel obligated to introduce their morals into our lives? The worst part is that they use the excuse that it's for our own good. I think I'm going to start going down to the city hall and throw pies at the elected officials that feel the need to interfere in my personal perversions. I think that would be for their own good.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I hate when people hide behind a minority status for protection . Even the news stations here refuse to admit the existence of the other clubs .

What on earth are you talking about? Who are you mad at?

1) The authorities for enforcing a stupid concept?

2)or the authorities for selectively enforcing a wise concept?

3) or gay bathhouses for being left alone?

It sounds from the quote above that you're complaining about #3. You "hate" the bathhouses for somehow hiding but the only evidence you give that they're hiding is that the police and press aren't looking for them.

So again I ask, who exactly are you mad at here?

(Edited to fix a typo that made it hard to read)

First Class Citizen Twice Over

I really don't care what people do for their sex jollies just don't harass only one group . It just aint fair .

Again, I'm curious. Are you mad at the police for harassing straight clubs or are you mad at gay clubs because they aren't being harassed?

how about for selectively inforcing a stupid concept?
the fact that its selectivily inforced only points out how truely stupid it is.

but i think that his point is by only persecuting the "majority" that is engaged in these activities it makes it less of a political hot potato and avoids a possible descrimination issue, why still apparently [sarcasm] "protecting the public health" [/sarcasm]
:S

That's fine, but I'm still confused why FasterFaller is pointing fingers at the bathhouses for this.

It's like if a bully roughs up 9 people in a row but can't catch up to the 10th guy. Then the 9 victims take out their anger by chasing down and beating up the one guy who got away.

Don't blame people who escape harassment -- blame the harassers!

First, let me say that I've never been to a bathhouse. I can admit, however, that on occassion, I've met a good-looking tandem student and improvised with woods, the river, and maybe the pond (SDC'ers didn't hear that -- don't want to ruin my angelic reputation):)

You're right about selective enforcement - it's bullshit. But, unfortunately, that's the way it goes. Every law ever written is selectively enforced. Laws are not written to protect - they're written to penalize. To that end, they're selectively enforced on whoever "they" feel like penalizing at the moment.

As for straight versus gay "safe sex", you're wrong. I've worked for a health clinic and can tell you that straight people (in general) are far less concerned with safe sex than the gay crowd. Luckily, the attitude is changing, so progress is at hand. Most of the diseases spread don't come from bathhouses anyway - they come right off the street.

Seems to me a better solution would be for the authorities to just relax and leave everyone alone. After all, it's just sex.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal