Deuce

I almost got killed yesterday.

Yeah - if it was an AOA problem, then it's obviously not flying, so there is a definite drop. But I think you are forgetting about valuable "re-inflate" time. If it was an AOA problem, it certainly recovered quickly for him, but I'm sure he lost a lot more altitude than an air-lock would have to make the canopy re-inflate.

You're right, he may have... though I wouldn't bet my life on it. My intuition (nothing to back this up but 2-3 rides with airlocks) is that if you are quick and make accurate and well-timed inputs you can probably get an airlocked canopy flying again earlier, but that less than perfect piloting could make for a pretty wild ride. With a non-airlocked canopy all you need to do is swear and the canopy will stay over your head and resume flying -)
Franck

I wish I could make a wake that banged into a hanger with audible noise. I would buzz every available hanger and leave an indelible impression on all spectators. I would be like some sort of skydiving superhero B|

Announcer: "Here comes Riddler, blazing into the arena!"
Crowd: "gasp!"
Whizz, WHOOSH, BANG!
Crowd: "ooohh"

Don't tell me you all haven't fantasized about this too! :ph34r:
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Is it possible that you flew through somebody else's wake?

Probably not a wake, I've video'd behind CRW 4 stacks in that wake turbulence, and it was nothing like that. Plus it banged the hangar doors when it was through with me. Our hangar has old-style roll-to-the-side doors and they bang in their tracks when the wind gusts. Byron old-timers can determine the wind speed by the volume of the doors banging;)

The fans were pretty well wound up early in the day , but not all that bad , not like some days at Byron . JP was dammned lucky and how the hell he managed to get a flare out of a barely inflated canopy is beyond me , but he did...it was impressive to watch. That happened to me once , over near the ditch , but it collapsed me at about 10 feet , not nearly as scary. Could've been worse though , like if the dust devil had hit on that full , naked skyvan load on sunday , I'm sooo glad I made a clean landing...

JP - have you worked out how the hell we managed to stall that tube yet? Perhaps it was a stalling day for you.;)

Deuce,

Dude, glad you're alright!!!! I didn't know it was that hot in Byron yesterday, but I'm glad you're fine.

I saw some at Davis once - almost wet my pants.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

We must have been perfectly balanced, like a low profile tire on a competition rim.....

I have no idea.

That naked load is always landing away from the hangar. We gotta work on that, although seeing DeBar swoop naked right into the hangar is something I could miss..... Lisa E. on the other hand, such glamour, such beauty....

Was this the first time you almost got killed? Case of BEER!;)

No. I've almost been killed lots of times. This is probably the closest skydiving, but there's probably lots of veterans out there that are amazed I've survived this long. "That boy's dumber that a box of rocks" This will be covered by my bi-monthly general-purpose case of beer.

And don't make me kill again, Seb!:P

Yup , saturday night running around naked on the runway was the first time I've seen all of Lisa's tattoo , classy......:)

I don't know about you , but I would've preferred it if we could land on the main landing area when naked , landing near the tents is risky with all those guy ropes and wandering pensioners - I landed right in front of a gawping couple , in their 70's I'd say , nothing I could do , so I just gathered up my canopy , paused to wish them a good day and wandered off to find my shorts. Poor buggers'll probably have nightmares for weeks.

You're right , perhaps we were like a 305/40/19 during that tube, or perhaps Cornholio was playing fast ass and staying at the bottom!

or perhaps Cornholio was playing fast ass and staying at the bottom!

Hey, I resemble that remark!!! ;)

I really don't recall, but I think I was on the bottom, because when it broke off, I was thrown low. Maybe I was the lead weight in that tube...

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump