ScoopUK

Size of reserve vs main

Thought this would be an interesting poll. You don't have to justify yourself to anyone, I'm just interested to see the results. If you want to discuss things then that's cool too but I know it's already a well discussed topic.

So, is your reserve smaller, larger or the same size as your main? For the accuracy, CRW, swoopers and other anomalies amongst you there are also options that may explain why you have a particular reason for sizing your main how you do.

If you have a 190 main and a 193 reserve or similar we'll just treat them as being the same size.

You can make multiple answers if you have more than one rig.

When I bought my rig I was weighing up the difference between getting an PDR 160 or an OP 176. In the end I ended up buying the PDR 160, and partnering it with a Pilot 168 in the container.

I was told the PDR canopy's are actually larger than they claim to be due to the way in which they are measured so a 160 was more like 170. Given this I opted to by the PDR

I've now got a Pilot 150 in there with the PDR reserve so my reserve is now definitely larger than my main.

I have a Techno 190 reserve, and switch between a Storm 190, Lightning 176 and Lightning 160 main canopy.

I used to have a PD160 reserve, but I decided to upsize my reserve because I like the idea of having more fabric above my head... especially if i ever have to 'share' my reserve. :)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Interesting Poll.

It's interesting to note that many are voting (saying) their reserve is bigger than their main...

Most major manufacturers only make between 5 and 12-13 size combinations for main/reserve, usually having the same size main and reserve trays. (When I say same I mean a PDR126 is ostensibly the same size as a Sabre2 120, even though they are technically 6 square feet in difference). I wonder if this sizing difference is skewing the poll...

In theory, your main should be as big as it needs to be to not kill you in an unconscious/no flare landing. This could be several sizes bigger than your main if you're jumping highly loaded main.

There are very few manufacturers that let you build a container that answers the need for a much larger reserve than main. One of them, Parachute Labs, has over 100 combinations of main/reserve sizes.

It seems that the reverse is becoming popular in the classic Accuracy field (huge main, regular reserve), as several manufacturers have new containers aimed specifically at that market. It would be nice if those manufacturers actually developed more patters for a greater variety of sizes (Large Reserve, small main) instead of developing Accuracy rigs for a very small portion of the market.
CSPA D-1046 TI Coach2 RiggerA JM SSI SSE GCI EJR Canadian 102-way record holder
bard.ca

Could also be that with the growing popularity of the PD Optimum Reserve that people are taking advantage of the ability to have similarly-sized trays, but have a reserve that's larger than the main with a smaller pack volume.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Quagmirian

***I was told the PDR canopy's are actually larger than they claim to be due to the way in which they are measured so a 160 was more like 170.

:P

This is a great can of worms to open.

According to the Paragear canopy sizing charts a PD160R is allegedly 175sqft. It would be interesting to measure an Optimum 160 against a PD160R.

Or, you could just reverse the argument.

According to the PD canopy sizing charts, other reserves comparable to the PD160R are actually more like 143 square feet.

Cut the BS, people!
If you need to hide behind such arguments to justify your choice of reserve canopy, you simply need a bigger reserve.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Baksteen

Cut the BS, people!
If you need to hide behind such arguments to justify your choice of reserve canopy, you simply need a bigger reserve.

I don't think that's what's going on here. My problem is people who say 'my Raven 181 is 20 square feet larger than a PD160R'. Perhaps we need more transparency from manufactures, although that's not really something for me to get into.

Baksteen

Or, you could just reverse the argument.

According to the PD canopy sizing charts, other reserves comparable to the PD160R are actually more like 143 square feet.

Cut the BS, people!

It is often said that an Optimum 160 packs smaller than a PD160R. I want to know if that is because a PD160R is actually 175 sqft whereas an Optimum 160 is only 160 sqft. People also think that a Smart 160, a PD160R and an Optimum 160 are all the same size. But are they?

We're talking almost 10% here, that's almost one full size step. Does one size matter, or is it bullshit?

JackC1

***Or, you could just reverse the argument.

Cut the BS, people!

It is often said that an Optimum 160 packs smaller than a PD160R. I want to know if that is because a PD160R is actually 175 sqft whereas an Optimum 160 is only 160 sqft. People also think that a Smart 160, a PD160R and an Optimum 160 are all the same size. But are they?

We're talking almost 10% here, that's almost one full size step. Does one size matter, or is it bullshit?

PD uses the same method to measure the PD-R as they use to measure the Optimum. The Optimum packs smaller because the fabric is smaller (thinner). Other manufacturers use other methods.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

My reserve is about as small as I ever want it to be (150).

Main size still negotiable, though I haven't downsized in years (132 and 129).
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?