TomAiello

Line Over Movie

I am uploading my line over video to ftp.skydivingmovies.com. The file is lineoverRT.mov and contains both real time and slow motion footage of the malfunction. Upload should be complete around 8am PDT.

Several people mentioned that they couldn't watch it off my web page. Hopefully, this will work.

Now, a day of errands, and then I'm off to Bridge Day...
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Holy crap Tom, Thanks mucho for uploading the realtime video. I don't think I would have been able to deal with that so well. Nice work on the single handed line chop.

Out of curiousity, I'm not at all familiar with BASE rigging, (only experience is leaving the slider down on a sport rig :S.) Don't BASE'rs do something different to the steering lines, like route them outside the slider/guide rings or something like that?

--
Hook high, flare on time

Don't BASE'rs do something different to the steering lines, like route them outside the slider/guide rings or something like that?

That's actually a pretty big topic, but the short(ish) answer is:

On a slider-down or slider-off deployment, we route the control lines outside the guide rings (and slider if it's still on), so that the toggle can be pitched to clear a line over. This hasn't really been necessary since the advent of the tailgate (a reefing device which has an extremely good track record in inhibiting slider down line overs).

On a slider-up deployment, we route the steering lines just like a skydiving canopy (through the rings and the slider) since the pressure from the control lines is critical in driving the slider down the lines (slider up jumps with the lines outside the slider have resulted in fatalities).

There have been some attempts to test a tailgate system for slider up rigs, but so far the idea has not really caught on. The only jumper I knew who was using it regularly was killed last week in a BASE accident (not related to his slider up tailgate system).

The latest, greatest BASE innovation is a releasable toggle (sold by Gravity Sports, Ltd as the SuperToggle, or by Vertigo BASE Outfitters as the WLO [what line over?] toggle). This allows the release of the steering line in the event of a slider up lineover (very rare--I know of three documented cases, all of which cleared except for mine, which required a hook knife).

If you are wondering, I have ordered a pair of WLO toggles, and will pick them up at Bridge Day.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

On a slider-down or slider-off deployment, we route the control lines outside the guide rings (and slider if it's still on), so that the toggle can be pitched to clear a line over.

Sounds good, thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed answer. It seems like for real BASE, aside from the extra time spent packing, a lot of time is probably spent on gear set up changes (steering line routing, slider adding/removal.) Interesting stuff

--
Hook high, flare on time