weegegirl

Bridge Day Rocked - First BASE jump!

Went down to Bridge Day with my dz crew, not expecting to jump as I was not registered. Jason let me register Friday evening with a few other stragglers. It rocked. The most ridiculously surreal feeling in the world standing on top of that bus. The world just got quiet for a minute - I took a deep breath - and I was gone. Landed in the water - on purpose. Enjoyed every second. Thanks to everyone who helped make it happen!!!!!

Next to no injuries or mals. I saw a few line twists, someone land on the railroad tracks, a sprained ankle from a hard landing, and a lacerated butt (who won a belly mount for his entertainment). Oh, and a repeller had a bad day with a small fall and a back injury. All together - FANTASTIC!

How exciting for you! I really really want to go next year... I should start saving for a BASE rig now, huh? :P If it's anything like the way I was with skydiving, I'll be an addict after the first one... Is your profile right (that you have ~88 jumps)? Were there people jumping there with a small number of skydives?

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

Yes, it's true. I only have 88 skydives... but all from this year. I got hooked and haven't been able to stop for a breath since. If you are planning on buying a BASE rig, I suggest making your first jump with borrowed gear and then buying some. Just to make sure. That's all it took for me was one jump. It's a different feeling all together than a skydive. The fall is different, the ground rush is different. Similar, but in my opinion, way more of a rush. You don't have time for Plan B.

Man you get to do it with 88 jumps, I have 350 and Derek still won't let me go. Something about his heart not being able to take it. It doesn't help either that Nick told him how horribly scary it was when shanda did her 1st. :S

I mean I'd even let him pack my canopy for me so that would be one less thing he would have to worry about. :P

Fly it like you stole it!

Not overly familiar with any of these guys... however, I recognized quite a few dz.comers from their pictures.

We wuz there. ;)

In fact, we jumped close to when you did. We were in the gear-check area when they did the panoramic. There were two totally sick jumps around then.

One guy sucked it down (intentionally) a good 7 seconds (for those of you that don't know, it's 8.8 seconds to impact). It was pretty much open-splash.

The 3-way sit exit was even more nuts. These guys go off in a 3-way horny gorilla. Then they try to pull each other's pilot chutes. One guy gets open but the other two were still working it a couple more seconds. Wound up deploying right next to each other. Really, really scary.

Levin, Brit & I were waltzing around a lot. I was the short, shaved-bald guy with a blondish goatee buying ever homebrew tape I could get my hands on. Levin is around 5'10-ish with blonde hair & glasses. Brit was probably the smallest girl there with straight brown hair.

This was Levin's second jump & Brit & my first.

What an absolutely incredible experience! I felt like I did when I first started skydiving. The jump, the screwed-up landing, the feeling afterward, the being clueless about equipment ;).

I have a Vertigo Warlock on order (the folks at Vertigo were WAY cool). Trying to decide on a main.

If any of you get the chance to do Bridge Day, DO IT!. Not just for the jump, but for the people & partying! B|

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Not overly familiar with any of these guys... however, I recognized quite a few dz.comers from their pictures.

One guy sucked it down (intentionally) a good 7 seconds (for those of you that don't know, it's 8.8 seconds to impact). It was pretty much open-splash.

Ummmmm.... Scary as it sounds. I think that was my boy that you guys are talking about with the delay that was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. Let's just say that he gave a nice long wait after I jumped - then he jumped - and somehow we landed at about the same time. He's a knucklehead. But we had a BLAST!

Scary as it sounds. I think that was my boy that you guys are talking about with the delay that was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.

Was he jumping a round?

Nope. Alright, cool. So it wasn't him you were talking about? I was just starting to give him shit about that. Those long delays were really freaky.

I also saw brit and that guy with glasses do there first. i was on my 3rd at that point. It put a smile on my face to see their reaction at the exit point. They had that wtf am I doing here look.

Then you saw mine as well. I went right before Brit. Wore the tye-dye, jeans and yellow Pro-Tek.

Looked back & flashed "peace" right before I jumped. :)
What a great time!

- Z

Hey, speaking of better organized. Don't get me wrong - Jason and his wife did an absolutly rockin job this year. But, the busses. God damn. I think I waited about 40 minutes to catch a ride to the top after my jump. There was about 15 minutes where nobody jumped at all, because all the jumpers were stuck at the bottom of the hill. That would be my only suggestion for next year. What do you think?

I talked to Zennie a bit, but didn't get a chance to hang with everyone as much as I'd have liked.

Likewise. And nice meeting you & Lew. I know we were running all over the place trying to take it all in. Hopefully next time won't be quite so much information overload. ;)

We'll definitely have to plan a DZ.com multi-way.

Absolutely! B|

- Z