AggieDave

What is an "Extreme" sport?

we're all out there to whuffos.

I guess it's a question of perception, i.e. as Einstein said it's all relative to the observer.

I used to jump with that Einstein dude. He could not do relative work. Too floaty. I told him to get a weight vest, but that was just my theory of Einsteins relativity. ;)

I agree with what someone said earlier, where one mistake can kill you....

skydiving has extreme parts in it, but it's not extreme in that you have to make multiple mistakes usually for you to die (unless you hook yourself in--swooping i would say is extreme, for example). BASE, sure, street luge, sure...i'd also apply it to stuff like indy car racing, where it always seems liek there is a fine line between control and total chaos.

I too, snickered when I saw the tandem skydiving, until I noticed that the guy is blind. I'm fairly impressed by the various things he's done, including the tandem.

Wow! I didn't get that far into the site. That is very impressive! But I still got a chuckle out of this quote... "At this point the parachute, (or the technical term, chute), would be opened and we would float slowly down to earth."

Isn't there a blind skydiver that uses audibles and a radio to land? I'm sure some of you guys know about him... I can look up the link.

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

I too, snickered when I saw the tandem skydiving, until I noticed that the guy is blind. I'm fairly impressed by the various things he's done, including the tandem.

Wow! I didn't get that far into the site. That is very impressive! But I still got a chuckle out of this quote... "At this point the parachute, (or the technical term, chute), would be opened and we would float slowly down to earth."

Isn't there a blind skydiver that uses audibles and a radio to land? I'm sure some of you guys know about him... I can look up the link.

Yeah Lolie someone mentioned that in the forums when I asked that very same question. There is at least one jumper that we know of who is totally blind and jumps using an audible and a two way. I've met an experienced uni-plegic @ WFFC and there are also several deaf jumpers who are regulars at San Marcos; the deaf world record was held last year at SDSM.

My list of Extreme sports. #1 = most:
1. Motorcross
2. Skydiving
3. Skateboarding
4. Wakeboarding/ Snowboarding
5. Racing of any type
6. Rock Climbing
7. Sex in a car
8. Flying
9. Underwater Basket Weaving

I've done #7 a lot... it's not that hard now with rumble strips on the freeways... you just "drive by braille!"

;)