mirage62

Petition for seperate landing area's

>If the guys you want to "fix" are renegades, no BSR will fix that. Only
>someone with direct power over a person ("you can't get on my plane" or
>"you can't get on my skydive") will make a difference.

I agree there.

>For the majority of jumpers, education and well-thought-out local rules
>tend to work. And yes, there is a lag while the education standards and
>local rules catch up to advances in the sport.

I don't see local, voluntary rules ever catching up with this problem. When the problem is caused by the person/persons who are supposed to be doing the regulating (which is often the case) there is zero incentive to set rules to prevent collisions.

Education can make a difference for many people - but history has shown that most jumpers do not take advantage of optional educational programs. It's a good idea, and one that might do a lot of good if integrated as part of every jumper's education, but that's not going to happen. (At least, not without additional BSR's, and I assume you would not be in favor of those either.)

>Education is the answer.

I don't think so. Education would not have worked for Danny. He knew what he was doing.

Rules (local or BSRs) work for the majority that follow the rules, not the corner cases. Banning / grounding works for the corner cases.

If the guys you want to "fix" are renegades, no BSR will fix that. Only someone with direct power over a person ("you can't get on my plane" or "you can't get on my skydive") will make a difference.

A BSR gives the S&TA/DZO a "re-trainer" that currently does not exist.

For the majority of jumpers, education and well-thought-out local rules tend to work. And yes, there is a lag while the education standards and local rules catch up to advances in the sport. Then we catch up and mostly solve a problem and wait for the next one to emerge...

And the majority of jumpers would be quite unaffected, because they already behave responsibly.

How would you mandate the necessary education? An Education BSR?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hello Andy!

You know...I don't see a lot of DZOs participating in these discussions...I wonder why.

I think most DZOs are quite busy and do not have time for this Forum. Another possibility is that there is at times, a lack of civility on all webboards/forums. They could be resistant to opening themselves up to become pin cushions.

There are two former DZOs that are part of the committee that came up with the BSR proposal. Or as I like to say, "Hi, I'm Flip. I'm a recovering drop zone owner."

Blue SKies, Flip

... Another possibility is that there is at times, a lack of civility on all webboards/forums. They could be resistant to opening themselves up to become pin cushions.

I hear 'ya, Flip. Thanks.

I just thought it would be good to hear current DZO viewpoints and suggestions on this issue.

PS: Hang in there, man. Take it one day at a time.
Look at tha bright side. You made a small fortune in skydiving!
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hello Andy!

I just thought it would be good to hear current DZO viewpoints and suggestions on this issue.

You are absolutely correct. I highly encourage everyone who can attend the Board meeting to do so. I think the discussions at the Group Member committee meeting and the Safety and Training committee meeting will be enlightening.

PS: Hang in there, man. Take it one day at a time.
Look at tha bright side. You made a small fortune in skydiving!

Thank goodness I didn't start with a large one!:o

Blue SKies, Flip

Hello Matt!

Remember, acceptance is the first step to recovery. Keep coming back!

So far, I haven't faltered. I haven't started up a DZ or bought an existing one in 15 years. Although I must admit, I've been tempted at times. It's a harsh taskmistress, this monkey on my back!

Blue SKies, Flip