milehigheric

Stainless riser rings with standard hardware?

Just got a new set of risers and I'm wondering if it is safe to miss match metals with three rings? I did advise mirage my rig has non stainless hardware, but the new risers they sent have stainless rings regardless. I'm sure I have read bad things about mixing in the past but I can't seem to find anything about it in the search?

Being in Australia returning them is an expensive pain in the ass so I would rather just use them if possible?

I bring this up as to what you may have heard in the past.

My knowledge and experience in this area comes more from a weapons background. Back in the early days (early 80's) of the popularity of stainless steel, steel, chrome, nickel plated metal matching; there was an issue known as "Galling." This galling occurred when two mismatched metal constantly rubbed on each other which began the microscopic level of pitting. Pitting of course leads to corrosion; which once started was hard to stop in areas of high humidity.

There are something like 50 grades of stainless steel and the harder the grade, the less likely the galling process was to start. Add to that; that one could help minimize the galling process by using a better lube (one of the reasons for not using WD-40 on your weapons - its not a lube). Lubing not something one wants to do on their three rings.

I am not comfortable making any kind of recommendation when it comes to your situation, but I personally would be more inclined to be concerned if it were chrome rings against stainless steel. Since we're now in the area of metallurgy... would recommend that you wait to get a definitive answer from the manufacturer or a Billvon type.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

would recommend that you wait to get a definitive answer from the manufacturer or a Billvon type.

no disrespect for Billvon, but I would say more a Billbooth, Mark, Mel, JerryBaumchen et al.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Definition of BILLVON TYPE

1: having, involving, or displaying special skill or knowledge derived from training or experience
— bill·von·ly adverb
— bill·von·ness noun

Examples of Billvon Type

We received some Billvonly advice.
The skydiving industry has become Billvon at its research methodology.

Origin of Billvon

Middle English, from Anglo-French & Latin; Anglo-French, from Latin billvonus, from past participle of billvoniri

First Known Use: 20th century

Synonyms: adroit, artful, bravura, skillful, masterful, masterly, practiced (also practised), craftsmanship

ETA: So pretty much everyone you listed is a "Billvon Type."
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Hi Nic,

but I would say more a Billbooth, Mark, Mel, JerryBaumchen et al.

Now what did I do to get hauled into the middle of this?

A thought or two. It has been eons since I took a metallurgy class but I am of the opinion to never mix metals that come into contact with each other. It is the old engineer in me and I cannot change that.

As for this specific situation; I would suggest that he/she hang themselves from the risers ( assembled into the rig ) and do a chop from a few feet up. If it all works and looks good, I would not be concerned. A s/s riser ring in contact with a Cad harness ring is not in contact for long periods of time since risers tend to wear out and need/should be replaced.

All of the above it worth what it cost you,

JerryBaumchen

Hi Nic,

but I would say more a Billbooth, Mark, Mel, JerryBaumchen et al.

Now what did I do to get hauled into the middle of this?

A thought or two. It has been eons since I took a metallurgy class but I am of the opinion to never mix metals that come into contact with each other. It is the old engineer in me and I cannot change that.

As for this specific situation; I would suggest that he/she hang themselves from the risers ( assembled into the rig ) and do a chop from a few feet up. If it all works and looks good, I would not be concerned. A s/s riser ring in contact with a Cad harness ring is not in contact for long periods of time since risers tend to wear out and need/should be replaced.

All of the above it worth what it cost you,

JerryBaumchen

Agreed!
Your rings are only going to corrode if they are subjected to significant amounts of rubbing and lots of salt water.... and if your rig is exposed to that much salt water ... you are skydiving too close to the ocean.
Hah!
Hah!