milehigheric

Reasons for two audible altis?

Im tossing up between two helmets at the moment (cookie rok vs ozone fyi) and im wondering what is the reasoning behind having two audible slots in helmets. Is it simply to allow a backup of a backup device or is there another reason that im missing? I'm leaning towards the rok, but as it only has one audible slot im just wondering if this is a true disadvantage or not.

Cheers ;)

batteries go flat, electronics fail, it's highly recommended for freeflying, especially given that the ground is not always in your sight line.
But many many people just run one.

Me, I run 2 audibles and a hand mount:ph34r: the ground is never going to surprise me AGAIN:$:ph34r:

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Some people like two audibles for the extra awareness / lower risk of failure..

Also some people are deaf in one ear so two slots lets you chose which side to put your audible on

Two slots let you choose which side, I wouldn't under estimate the value in that. I swapped my audible as I could hear it more clearly on the one side.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

In some freefly situations, you have to rely on your audible altimeter

This is not true, and you should never do this. On every jump, you have the ability to check your visual altimeter and look at the ground, and you should do both of them. You should also listen to your audible, and your 'gut' if it's telling you that the skydive has been going on 'too long' and that you might be low.

There is no situation where you simply have to wait for the beep. One of the problems with that is you don't know when your audible is going to fail. It might be on the ride up, or just after exit, and in either case you'll be waiting for a beep that will never come.

The advantage to a visual alti is that you can watch it work, and see the 'trend'. In the plane, the trend is upwards, and you can also cross-check it with other altimeters. In freefall, regular checks will show you a downward trend, and if it seems to be right, it probably is.

Even then, still use your eyes and if your beeper beeps, take that into consideration as well.

AGREED. Had a alti "hookup" the other day at about 6k.
Checked at 6k, then again a little while later when I though it was about 4.5k. HUH, still on 6. Confirmed it was stuck when the audible whent and everybody started tracking. Even on the ground it was still on 6, and now it is in the bin.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

I have 2 audibles that provide different functionality.
One, the pro track is used as my electronic log book (I transfer details to my paper log book). The other, whilst also acting as an altitude has functionality to help me set up for landing by beeping at 3 predefined altitudes when flying my canopy.

I know others who have the same for the same reason.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

I'm the same as Mik - one protrack audible for the logbook side of things and the freefall alarms, one OptimaII for the freefall and canopy alarms.

In my full face they are one on each side of my head. In my camera helmet they are both on the same side, and I have noticed they are harder to hear in that helmet, but they are still audible.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

Sry, my explanation might be misleading, thx for the correction. Sure, they never replace a visual altimeter, they just add more safety. But in in freefly it's just harder to always have your altimeter in sight.

May I suggest putting it somewhere where you CAN see it?

If you put it somewhere where you can't see it, you're on your own.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Sry, my explanation might be misleading, thx for the correction. Sure, they never replace a visual altimeter, they just add more safety. But in in freefly it's just harder to always have your altimeter in sight.

May I suggest putting it somewhere where you CAN see it?

If you put it somewhere where you can't see it, you're on your own.

but a chest mount analog alti is so old school...for modern skydiving it needs to be integrated into a gopro mount!
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

but a chest mount analog alti is so old school...for modern skydiving it needs to be integrated into a gopro mount!

Good luck staying stable when trying to look at a chest mounted alti while in sit-fly or head-down. lol

Viso II with wrist mount is the best for free-flying because you can wear it pretty much anywhere and face it any way you want.

On the subject of Audible pockets...
I like having two pockets because it means I can have an audible in one and a Flysight in the other.

Good luck staying stable when trying to look at a chest mounted alti while in sit-fly or head-down

Good luck trying to do anything if you lose altitude awareness and whistle-in under a partially inflated canopy.

So you can't remain stable and check your alti? Ok, then go unstable, check your alti, and get back in there. Soon enough you'll learn that you can stay with anything and look where ever you want, all you have to do is practice.

instead of getting unstable and risking hitting someone around you

Nice try. If you can't remain stable and check your alti at the same time, you shouldn't be freeflying with 'people around you'. At best you should be on a two-way, and even then it should be with an accomplished flyer who can avoid you if need be.

As uncool as it may be, you have to have priorities. Altitude awareness is near the top of your list, right up there with 'pull'.

Good luck staying stable when trying to look at a chest mounted alti while in sit-fly or head-down. lol

Stick around young padawan. You'll soon learn different.
LOLOL

Viso II with wrist mount is the best for free-flying

Best? What qualifies you to make that determination?
:S
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Viso II with wrist mount is the best for free-flying because you can wear it pretty much anywhere and face it any way you want.

On the subject of Audible pockets...
I like having two pockets because it means I can have an audible in one and a Flysight in the other.

I just want to point out that it is not ONLY free flying. I do 4 way flat mostly - when you are focused on turning points it is VERY easy to simply rely on your or someone elses audible.

I own a chest mount analog alti and to be honest I should wear it more often. If you mount it 'upside down' the person across from you can see it.

Im tossing up between two helmets at the moment (cookie rok vs ozone fyi) and im wondering what is the reasoning behind having two audible slots in helmets. Is it simply to allow a backup of a backup device or is there another reason that im missing? I'm leaning towards the rok, but as it only has one audible slot im just wondering if this is a true disadvantage or not.

Cheers ;)

Speedskydiving.. When you are turning 60+ second skydive altitudes13500 to 14000' into 40 second skydives while maintaining stability at 275 MPH plus sustained speeds I REALLLY want to know when 5500' comes along so I can pull out of the dive... bleed off speed and be going slow enough by 2500' to throw a pilot chute without blowing up my damn canopy again. I did not hear the first alarm set for 5500' go off and that was my last dive with a single Protrack and an open faced helmet......That shit hurts

Best? What qualifies you to make that determination?
:S

It's actually just what several freeflyers have told me. I've always been curious so I've always asked people why they don't use or use certain things. I noticed that it seemed like everyone had a Viso...so I asked around. Though, I think I should just say WRIST mount is great for freeflying. Think the Neptune has a wrist mount option as well.

I know everyone says to keep a good ol' trusty analog, but so far I've seen 3 analogs fail and 0 digitals lol
L&B makes one spanking good product :]