FreeFlyHol

Weird facts (kinda long)

"Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo
Now don't tell me I've a-nothin' to do"

Damn you DAVE!!!!!!!! I have been humming that stupid song all day because of your signature. Not that I really know any more of the words than that.....so that makes it EXTRA annoying. :D

I keep hearing you're concerned about my happiness.All that thought you're giving me is conscience, I guess.If I were walking in your shoes, I wouldn't worry none.While you and your friends are worrying 'bout me, I'm having lots of fun.
Counting flowers on the wall,That don't bother me at all.Playing Solitaire till dawn,With a deck of fifty-one.Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo.Now, don't tell me I've nothing to do.
Last night I dressed in tails, pretended I was on the town.As long as I can dream, it's hard to slow this swinger down.So please don't give a thought to me, I'm really doing fine.You can always find me here, having quite a time.
Counting flowers on the wall,That don't bother me at all.Playing Solitaire till dawn,With a deck of fifty-one.Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo.Now, don't tell me I've nothing to do.
Well, it's good to see you, I must go, I know I look a fright.Anyway my eyes are not accustomed to this light.And my shoes are not accustomed to this hard concrete.So I must go back to my room and make my day complete.
Counting flowers on the wall,That don't bother me at all.Playing Solitaire till dawn,With a deck of fifty-one.Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo.
Now, counting flowers on the wall,That don't bother me at all.Playing Solitaire till dawn,With a deck of fifty-one.Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo.Now, don't tell me I've nothing to do.
Don't tell me I've nothing to do.

There ya go, the rest of the song. :)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

and those digital clocks that flipped little sheets with the numbers down.

Oh my gosh, I forgot all about those! I actually had to get rid of one that I had beside my bed because it made too much noise when it flipped the numbers and it always woke me up. I also remember that we were the cool house on the street because we were the first ones to get that Pong game to play on the tv set. I think that was about the first kind of video game that ever existed, even though all you did was play ping-pong on it.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

re. early computers:

Anyone remember the Radioshack TRS-80?:P

re. early vidogames: some of them were really weird & imaginative. Asteroids, tank battle, space invaders, etc. I remember one black& white, very early game where you drove a little car & tried to run over pedestrians for points. But every time you did that, a little cross would appear which you'd have to avoid later.

The modern ones all have excellent graphics, but the imagination has gone out of them. There are now only a very few themes for modern-day video games.

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

There has been a computer in my house my entire life (I was born in 1980). There's pictures of me at 2 & 3 yrs old on my dad's lap at the computer. When I was 6, he bought me my own computer (an Apple IIGS), so for me, I've always been around them, even when "most people" didn't know what the hell a computer did in the home.

I know that some where during that time, you were at college (you're pretty young), so I actually find the idea of not having a computer kind of, odd, actually.

Remington/Rand made the 1st "Production" typewriter and later made the UNIVAC computer, to compete with the UNIAC.
My Great Grandfather made the changes that made producable without breaking every paragraph (a lot of them did). Thomas Watson lived across the directly street from him. As for me, I repair phone service and enjoy under-achievment and no ulcers;).

When you think about it, the WWW & email has only been widely used by the public since 1994 or so.

I remember in grad school in 1993 using the internet to search the Genetics Computer Group database in Wisconsin. No windows or clickable graphics-everything had to be searched by typing in unix commands.:P

It wasn't so long ago, & now we wonder how we ever did without the WWW & email.:P

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Right, coolio.

Hehe, I remember the first webpage I went to, I can't remeber what year it was, but I'm trying to say it was late 1992, maybe early 1993, I went to Nike's site. It took forever in a day to load, I thought it sucked...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

There are quite a few companies that still use not only telnet, but green-screens and mainframes. I usually get a call once every few months from someone that wants to integrate a 15 year old AS400 app with some new internet tool. I try to convince them that it would be cheaper to upgrade, but some people seriously can't fathom change.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

and those digital clocks that flipped little sheets with the numbers down.

Oh my gosh, I forgot all about those! I actually had to get rid of one that I had beside my bed because it made too much noise when it flipped the numbers and it always woke me up. I also remember that we were the cool house on the street because we were the first ones to get that Pong game to play on the tv set. I think that was about the first kind of video game that ever existed, even though all you did was play ping-pong on it.

YEP! PONG was THE 1st "video" game made by Nolan Bushnell, who sold it to a Comapany in Japan, now call ATARI. He lost his shirt but, got to keep his massive hair and beard. (remote control tv had 4 tune bar inside the"CLICKER"):o:P I remember be "Too little to be allowed to touch it!" yet, unlike the "ADULTS" I never had the childhood urge to throw the clicker during a Sports game:S.

Hey!

my company still uses telnet / rsh / rlogin / rcp and we just inherited a bunch of AS / 400's. It's actually part of my job to get people to stop using cleartext protocols... we have a software component named "router" and it was named that before we had things called routers that trafficked in IP...it causes all kinds of namespace confusion. We still use X.25 links all over the place (9600 baud baby), and even though some of it has been ported to IP / T1 most of it is experimental.

no joke

Nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they start with.

uh North America and South America? I seem to remember 7 continets, not 6? correct me if I have ha a brainfart please

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle