gaz511

L&B VISO II

I have just got myself a VISO II as a second digital alti for swoop training, i intend to use it as a vertical speed indicator and i'm aware that i can play back a canopy flight after each jump to evaluate my vertical speed during various phases of my rotation.

Here's the question: If i set the Viso to be an Alti instead of Speed will it still re-play my vertical speed as before or will it only re-play the altitude values?

In an ideal world i'd like to use it as a 2nd alti should my hip mounted one fail in flight or if i can't see it spinning twists, malfunctions etc. I still want to have access to real time vertical speeds for play back and not just the maximum canopy speed snapshots that you can get

I have just got myself a VISO II as a second digital alti for swoop training, i intend to use it as a vertical speed indicator and i'm aware that i can play back a canopy flight after each jump to evaluate my vertical speed during various phases of my rotation.

Here's the question: If i set the Viso to be an Alti instead of Speed will it still re-play my vertical speed as before or will it only re-play the altitude values?

In an ideal world i'd like to use it as a 2nd alti should my hip mounted one fail in flight or if i can't see it spinning twists, malfunctions etc. I still want to have access to real time vertical speeds for play back and not just the maximum canopy speed snapshots that you can get

I don't know if I have a Viso or a Viso II, but mine will do what you are asking. I keep mine on altitude mode during the jump, then it will play back my freefall speeds starting 6 seconds after exit until some amount of time after there are no new altitude changes.

Mine gives me the choice of 2 read-outs - speed vs time and altitude vs time. My only complaint is that I would prefer altitude vs speed in the playback.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

It will replay whatever you tell it to replay. I keep mine in alti mode for freefall and use the playback for speed regularly.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

Can someone post an image of the playback screen of the Viso II?
I'd like to know what information it shows.

It's shows time and alti/speed at that time
readings run at 1/4; normal; 2x; 5x and reverse speed
screen can be seen at p.52 of manual but it's simple - just digits for time and alti/speed
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

Would like to do a Pro-Track+Viso II combo, but if the Viso shows the data I'm looking for the Pro-Track might not be needed.

See me at the DZ this weekend (or whenever you’re out there) and you can borrow mine for a jump or fiddle with the playback features. I’m not sure that the N2 is going to give you what you’re looking for…I’m assuming that you’re going to use to log a bunch of stuff for tracking-type dives etc and want to be able to download the data. A ProTrack with the JumpTrack software will probably give you what you need. JumpTrack will pull similar data from your AltiTrack, I believe. An N3 + Paralog (IIRC) will probably work better if you don’t want to spend the cabbage for a digital wrist mount and an audible.

The N2 has a few quirks but for a “dumb” altimeter it is fantastic: accurate, easy to read, and the backlight function is excellent for night jumps.

I'm currently using Jumptrack with my Alti-track for the data. I was looking at the Pro-Track and It doesn't look like it has a port to hook it up to a computer with so I'm not sure how it can read the data from it.

I think all the data and graphs that I get from my Alti-track is bad because it's just encourage more tracking jumps, and from what everyone is teaching me, I need to focus more on all around skydiving skills in order to become a better wingsuit pilot. So, the Viso II, as long as it shows Min and Max speed as well as freefall time, then I'll be happy. Playback would be even greater. Down the road I could always get a flysight and Paralog for more accurate data.

The protrack uses an infared output. The standard receiver (special made cradle) uses a serial connector, but there is an adapter that allows you to use a USB connection.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

So, the Viso II, as long as it shows Min and Max speed as well as freefall time, then I'll be happy. Playback would be even greater. Down the road I could always get a flysight and Paralog for more accurate data.

V2 doesn't show MIN speed (zero in the door, right? lol), just max. It does have freefall time. The closest you may get on an L&B product is on the ProTrack:

Maximum speed achieved.
Average freefall speed for the dive.
Average speed of the first half of the dive.
Average speed of the second half of the dive.

Never used one...my beeps are a Solo II and Optima II.

N3 will show averages across 4 separate alt. I find the N3 to be a pain in the ass...but a lot of people *love* them. YMMV.