rusty_amy

Training at Skydive Chicago, Chicagoland Skydiving, or Skydive Midwest?

Hi all,

I recently did a couple of tandem jumps and would like to continue skydiving because I absolutely loved it. I would like to go through AFF training. I did my jumps at Skydive Chicago and thought it was a great place. However, I am about the same distance from Skydive Chicago, Chicagoland Skydiving, and Skydive Midwest.
I have searched through this forum and have seen people saying great things about all these DZs esp. SDC. But has anyone gone through their programs and have any input. I would default to just sticking with SDC since I felt comfortable there but if theres a reason to make a different choice, I don't want to miss out on that just because of my arbitrary reason for originally choosing SDC (the one I had heard about before). Any input on any of these places in terms of
a. price and value
b. instrutor attention to students
c. friendliness ( i am concerned about always feeling like an outside since the friends i brought along for tandem jumps will soon leave me to continue on this path alone)

Thanks in advance, all!

-Warning - Biased Opinion -

Congratulation on your 2 jumps. And its even better that you are looking to continue. I did my training at SDC last November and have about 80 odd jumps so far. I havent been to Skydive Chicagoland yet but I'll tell you what I know about SDC

1. SDC follows a custom AFP program not the usual AFF that is available at most dropzones. The difference is that AFP has 18 levels (including 3 free fly jumps, 1 tracking dive, 2 hop and pops)
2. The AFP program takes you directly to your A license so you dont have to keep doing solos and coach jumps until you get there
3. SDC uses Sabre 2 canopies for students - this is a topic where everyone has their own opinion but the advantage is that you will probably buy a very similar canopy as soon as you get off student status.
4. Most of SDC's student rigs are fairly new < 2-3 years old and they have a HUGE selection of sizes and containers as you may have noticed during your trips there
5. The atmosphere is very friendly for students and even though I was jumping in Chicago winter in November, some instructor would always be willing to take me up. (Sometimes I had to bribe them with beer later in the evening but thats all I had to pay for making them jump in 40F weather). Best of all, several of us fun jumpers will readily jump with you as soon as you get of student status.
6. There are several low jumper programs at SDC like Chasing Amy's hookup program or Furies Scrambles etc.
7. And I almost forgot to mention the Advanced Freefall and Canopy control class. You get a 2 hour session on advanced free fall techniques like swooping to a formation, canopy accuracy, downsizing etc. And a lengthy essay test to go with it as well.
8. My favourite is the evening atmosphere - simply the best I have seen so far.
9. Edited to add a big plus - Huge landing area with separate student, high performance and swoop pond areas. Several outs as well (read corn fields).

Having said the above, please bear in mind that I have not visited the other 2 dropzones you mentioned. Hope the above helps a little.

The training at both Chicagoland Skydiving Center and Skydive Chicago are both very good. I really don't know anything about the student program at Skydive Midwest.

Many people comment that CSC has a smaller, more intimate feel than SDC. I prefer CSC for this reason. Students who've jumped at both places tell me that at CSC they form a better relationship with their instructor, while at SDC they sometime feel like just a ball bounced back and forth between different instructors.

Of course, your mileage may vary. You can't go wrong at either place, and will get good instruction at both. Both DZ's have top-of the line, new gear.

Here on DZ.com, CSC has more positive ratings than any other dropzone. http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/North_America/United_States/Illinois/index.html..

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Nope you are correct - A license requires 25 jumps. 18 levels + 2 tandems = 20 jumps. The remaining 5 you can do solos or go with some experienced fun jumpers.

But when you buy the AFP package - you pay for 17 levels + 5 jumps. So you dont have to buy separate jump tickets. Also, your 18th level is a free jump - its your graduation jump and they will organize whatever you want. I did a tracking dive on my graduation jump but I know people who have done 4 ways, 5 ways, 9 ways whatever you want. An experienced load organizer will help you find the right people for that.

DZs are individual and different. Just like people.

If it's a real concern of yours, and you have the time, then just spend a day at each and see where you feel best. Directly observe those things you are concerned about.

Ask a lot of questions, see how busy it is. See if the up jumpers spend time with the newbies or not.

Stick around in the evening and see what goes on. Ask about that too. Once you start somewhere, you make friends. So find your crowd.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

DZs are individual and different. Just like people.

If it's a real concern of yours, and you have the time, then just spend a day at each and see where you feel best. Directly observe those things you are concerned about.

Ask a lot of questions, see how busy it is. See if the up jumpers spend time with the newbies or not.

Stick around in the evening and see what goes on. Ask about that too. Once you start somewhere, you make friends. So find your crowd.

Yeah couldn't agree more.

The only thing I don't like about the SDC program is that you have to do a tandem first, though for a lot of people that might be a good thing!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I'm not sure about the other 2 dzs, but keep in mind that at SDC you will get video on all your student jumps. Your AFP instructor jumps with a camera helmet and copies your jumps to a tape for you.

Don't worry about going thru the student training without your friends you did tandems with. You'll make new friends. Definitely come to the dz and just hang out and get to know people before making your decision on where to train.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!