leroydb

eye surgery

My boyfriend got lasik this summer. 20/300 eyesight (corrected to 20/30) was measured 20/20 an hour after surgery and settled around 20/15 a month later.

The serious care period was about three days with only the first 24 hours being really delicate. After a week he felt absolutely fine. I think you're supposed to eyedrop yourself a lot for 2 weeks.

The doctor told him to lay off skydiving for one month and wear solid eye protection even then.

I think it was about 3 months later that his faceplate blew off in freefall, and it didn't bother him one bit.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Was he out of work for a few days? I've been considering the LASIK for a while now. Through my work I get a 20% discount on the procedure. I'll have to start really looking into it.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

looking at gettign PRK laser eye surgery... aanyone out there get it? how long till i can jump? heal time? etc....

Since your getting either one for free, it's best to get the one the Dr. suggests for your eyes. If ya get cut you'll be out for awhile(1-2 months) before you can go back safely. Just had a bud do it and he's had no problems so far.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

He took the next day off because, well, because he could and he deserves a break. But not because he had to.

That's awesome. I'm going to have to do some research and see how much it costs.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

That's what I was thinking. I'll probably have to wait a few years until I can get it done. To many things coming up that will require my money.

I worked with 2 women a while ago that had the "old" style laser surgery done. One was thrilled, the other was not. The woman whose surgery didn't work had both eyes redone. Still didn't work. When I left that job to move to where I am now she was going in to have just one eye done for a THIRD time.
Around the same time, I looked into having lasik done. I went to an ophthalmologist to get his opinion. He was a brusque, no-nonsense physician. He told me he didn't recommend laser surgery of any description except for patients who needed the surgery to get their eyes into good enough shape to finish the correction they needed with regular glasses. He told me he had several patients who wished they had never heard of laser eye surgery. He felt it was still too early to tell what the real long-term effects would be.
There is no doubt that it seems to work for most people but in the end I wouldn't take that chance with my eyes...I didn't want to be one of the exceptions. They are your windows on the world and I think this is a very serious decision for anybody to make.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Get LASIK - not PRK. Lasik, they cut a flap on the top, drill underneath, then reseat the flap. Not much healing required for the procedure, since your eye doesn't need to heal underneath the flap. With PRK, they cut the surface of your eye, which will need to heal over and potentially scar more, so the outcome isn't nearly as good.

I got LASIK, and I was driving without glasses the next day. They made me wait 6 months to jump and SCUBA, though. Three month wait to climb and off-road bike and ski. I am now at 20/15 (I was 20/400 before).
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Good question. I actually had PRK done April 16, 2001. I corrected my left eye from 20/50 to 20/15 and my right eye from 20/200 to 20/15. With both eyes I can now see a few letters on the 20/10 line.
The story with PRK is that instead of cutting a flap, they simply "brush off" the top layer of your eye (only molecules thick). The laser is actually a little different as well.
The thing with PRK is this, you have WAY less chances of having any of those LASIK side effects. I think it's because the laser is wider or something, not sure as far as why, but I know that your chances of halos and other things are greatly smaller than with LASIK.
Yes, with LASIK, you start seeing 20/20 much sooner, but the actual heal time is the same as PRK. With PRK, the vision gradually got better and better and after about 3 weeks I was seeing 20/20 and the 4th week, I was seeing better. It's about a month of healing time, just as with LASIK.
After you get done with that first month, I THINK it was okay to start skydiving again. There were other things though that you couldn't have happen to your eyes for like 6 months. I couldn't get hit directly in the eye (with like a football or something), so if you're going to jump, take extra special care with those flying elbows and feet during your RW or freeflying.
It was the best thing ... I only paid $500/eye + $200 insurence for a year so if my eyes regressed back, they'd fix it for free. After a year, your eyes will stay the same forever. I haven't seen the Dr. since my 1-year checkup, all is well.
PRK is not for "worse" eyes as before mentioned, it is just a differnt method of surgery that actually has less chances of things going wrong. If you take all the eyedrops EXACTLY as you are told to take them, you won't feel an once of pain and willl heal up really fast (which was my case .. not a single day of pain or anything and I was seeing pretty damn well pretty fast).
Hope this clarifies things for ya!

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!