pilotdave

domain name registration... where?

Those of you with your own domain names... where'd ya register them? There are half a bazilion registration companies out there. They get as cheap as about $9 per year as far as I can tell, but there's something very shady about the cheap ones. Not a huge investment, but I don't want to get screwed either. www.godaddy.com is a popular cheap one, but something bothers me. They offer "private" registration for an extra $9 per year. This hides your "whois" info from the public. If you don't pay it, I am afraid they will publish as much info as they possibly can, to get people to want to pay it. Not really that big a deal, but I just wanna make sure I don't start getting tons of spam or something cause I register a domain.

Any skydivers in the domain registration bidness? I'd always rather use a company owned by someone who's rig I could tamper with if I receive bad service. :P

Oh, in case you're wondering, I don't own skydivingmovies.com so I don't already know about this stuff.

EDIT: I should add that I only need the domain to forward to another address. Don't need hosting.

Dave

I use enameco.com.

When you enter your "whois" info, you're under no obligation to enter legitimate information. Your registrar shouldn't be charging anything extra to "hide" your info:
-----------------------
[whois.e-names.org]
The Data provided by this Whois database is provided as is by
1 eNameCo, the operator of this server, for information
purposes only. 1 eNameCo does not guarantee the accuracy of
this data. This data may not be compiled, repackaged, or
otherwise distributed in any way. This data may not be used to
allow or enable the transmission of mass unsolicited, commercial
advertising or solicitations via e-mail. The use of high volume,
automated, electronic processes that apply to any servers of
this company is prohibited. By submitting this query, you agree
to this policy.

Domain Name: seattleskydivers.org
Registered Owner:
Mark Harju
1000 2nd Ave

Everett WA 98103
US
Phone: 425-123-1234
Fax:
Email: [email protected]

Created on: Mon Jun 10 10:29:14 2002
Expires after: Mon Jun 11 00:59:59 2007

Administrative Contact:
Mark Harju
1000 2nd Ave

Everett WA 98103
US
Fax:

Technical Contact:
Mark Harju
1000 2nd Ave

Everett WA 98103
US
Fax:

Billing Contact:
Mark Harju
1000 2nd Ave

Everett WA 98103
US
Fax:

Below is the list of name servers currently on record for seattleskydivers.org:

dns5.doteasy.com
dns6.doteasy.com
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

The problem is at that website, you only enter your info once. In other words, whatever you put for your billing info is what ends up in the whois. If I entered fake information, they can't bill me.

Thanks for the link though. I'll check them out.

Dave

My .com domain is $35.00 yr. plus I pay extra charge every year to have it forwarded to shaw.ca (where my site is hosted).......

Sucks, but do not get any advertising and never had any problems with register.com

Smiles;)

eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

I've got about 150 domains registered through godaddy.com, they are great. Good prices, good systems/features. I wouldn't bother with the extra "hiding" feature. I just give semi-stealth information for the Registrant, Technical and Administrative contacts, and real info for Billing, which they don't publish (do a whois on adspike.com to see what I mean).

Had to deal with their customer support, and they were right on the ball.

Hope this helps!

I know you aren't looking for Web/DNS hosting, but that's a whole 'nother bag of worms...

www.doteasy.com You get registration and hosting for $25 a year. They allow 20 MB storage space, 1 gig monthly traffic, and 5 email names with forwarding. Their really easy to get setup with too. There are no popups or bull with their server. I've got 6 accounts with them and have to say their the best for my needs.

Jumpervali

It isn't nice to lie ;)

You own the domain multiuniversal.com, and you gave us a referrer link to track who clicked through to your site. Not cool.

Edit: I just noticed that Bruno is a very recent member. My best guess (and I doubt he'll pop back in to confirm this), is that he searches Google for people looking to register domain names, then drops in and does his little "satisfied customer" bit.

Registrant:
Bruno Domingues
Stadsring 12
Amersfoort, Amersfoort 3811HR
Netherlands

Registered through: Go Daddy Software (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: MULTIUNIVERSAL.COM
Created on: 07-Aug-01
Expires on: 07-Aug-11
Last Updated on: 31-Jan-02

Administrative Contact:
Domingues, Bruno [email protected]
Stadsring 12
Netherlands
065 3979302 Fax --
Technical Contact:
Domingues, Bruno [email protected]
Stadsring 12
Netherlands
065 3979302 Fax --

Domain servers in listed order:
WWW.MULTIUNIVERSAL.COM
OLIMPO.XS4ALL.NL

I found a better deal... I registered http://www.umdskydiving.com through Stargate. Their servers have gone down a couple times now that I know of, but they're only $8 a year and let me put whatever I want for the whois info. They haven't been the easiest place to deal with, but now that it's set up its working fine. Also their email support has been of help.

Dave

I found a better deal... I registered http://www.umdskydiving.com through Stargate. Their servers have gone down a couple times now that I know of, but they're only $8 a year and let me put whatever I want for the whois info. They haven't been the easiest place to deal with, but now that it's set up its working fine. Also their email support has been of help.

Ok, so let me review. Stargate charges $3 per year less than the folk we use, but for that penny per day you have to put up with:

• Unreliability
  • Bad interface
  • Spending time dealing with support

Wow. What a deal.

I wonder if I can find someone who'll charge $7/year and poison my cats. Or $6/year and steal my car. Or maybe $5/year and pull out my toenails.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

for 2$ per year I'll put your site in my HOSTS file... I'm not much for pulling toenails but I could call and harass you on occasion. and hey anyone using my box will be able to get to your site without having to bother with that name resolving cruft...

Ok, so let me review. Stargate charges $3 per year less than the folk we use, but for that penny per day you have to put up with:

• Unreliability
  • Bad interface
  • Spending time dealing with support

Wow. What a deal.

I wonder if I can find someone who'll charge $7/year and poison my cats. Or $6/year and steal my car. Or maybe $5/year and pull out my toenails.

• Ummm... did you tell me who you use? I mighta been able to scrape together $3 for a better option. Heck the money is coming from my club so I don't really care what it costs as long as it's reasonable. Now on the other hand I'd pay a lot extra if they'd steal your car! :P

So, who do you register domains through? There's always next year...

Dave

www.ukreg.com

i've registerd loads of domains with them. Extremely cheap, and also give free web and mail forwarding. Absolutely no spam or un pleasantaries. Cant recommend them enough :)

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
    Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

I registered freak-brother.com with internic. $30 for 2 years, free hosting if you want ( I didn't) and I got no spam.

The first couple of domains I registered were with www.internic.com, but since then, that web site has become besically a whois site, with links to other registrars. They do not handle the actual registrations anymore, they just keep the database, as far as I know.
    It's your life, live it!
    RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1