516tatishikawa

HELMETS

So I'm a noob to the game, started jumping at the beginning of the summer and now I'm 4 jumps away from my Class A!! I've been acquiring my own gear over the past month or so, and I want to buy my own helmet. During the AFP, we wore Benny open faced helmets. I really didn't have a problem with them, but figured that I wanted to go full face partly to get rid of the goggles, but feel it will be a lot quieter as well.... So here's my question. I've narrowed my choices of helmets and I wanted to get everyone's feedback on them so if you own one or more of these helmets, please post a reply/review/your opinion. That would be greatly appreciated.
So I'm really feeling and liking the Parasport Italia Z-1 and the Bonehead composites Mamba or Revolve. All seem like good helmets and they all seem to be close and or around the same price so.... what do y'all think??
www.taikorestuarant.com

Jump, pack, repeat.

Blue skies!!

They're all good helmets, but each has a distinct style for the visor opening mechanism. In addition to trying them on for fit, you'll definitely want to try them on to see which style you prefer.

Folks who wear glasses tend to really love the Revolve because it provides the most room for glasses (not that you can't wear glasses with other helmets, but the Revolve seems to be great for glasses). I personally can't fit my head in a Z1 (they do tend to run smaller and I have a freakishly large head). I've tried the Mamba and while it's a great helmet, the fit on my face wasn't quite right, and I personally couldn't get used to the locking mechanism (but probably could have if I'd given it more time).

I currently own a FreeZR2 and a Cookie G2 (no longer available, but replaced by the very similar G3). I jump the G2 exclusively - I liked the FreeZR2, but the locking mechanism on the G2 is more secure, and I can easily close the visor down with one hand (which is a lot more difficult with the FreeZR2).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm the rain on your parade. Get a protec. Cheap, protective, you can see and you can hear what the hell is going on. Quite isn't good when the guy your about to hit under canopy is yelling at you. Or your trying to hear a count in the door.

I've been searching for a full face I like for 15 years and still haven't found one.:S

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I have also been in search for a solid helmet but I love the fresh air. I haven't tried a closed helmet yet but I think I will jump with one borrowed first before I actually jump with it. But as for open faced I've been looking at some Benny helmets. They are reasonable on price (unlike everything else in this sport). Are there any other brands people recommend as for open faced helmets go?? I guess I'm not that interested in paying a lot for a helmet and would rather save up for rig and jumpsuit...

Life finds its purpose and fulfillment in the expansion of happiness

--- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi

Again, of all the helmets Protecs give more bump protection than most of the $300 plus helmets. For $40. And more colors than carbon.

You can mount any audible you want.

How do you mount an audible at a Protec? It's more or less a do-it-yourself solution, right? Do you have a JPG of that mounting?

Grab a couple bungees and secure the audible in the ear covering on the inside. The gap in the padding is perfectly sized for audibles, your audible will be right against your ear, and it's a zero snag hazard. Sorry I don't have a pic but I'm sure someone at your dz could show you how to do it.

To the OP- protecs are the business!

yo dude.... i've been hearing a lot of good stuff about pro-tec. i hear they're reasonably priced (they are) and they do the job, no problem. i'm heading to the Ranch tomorrow to check out some gear and to maybe jump. i'll let you know about the different products i see there. blue skies.
www.taikorestuarant.com

Jump, pack, repeat.

Blue skies!!

So yesterday my buddy Scott and I went up to Skydive the Ranch in Gardiner, NY. All I can say is, WOW! Nice place!! I didn't get to jump, but am looking forward to getting back there and doing a foliage jump, soon!! Went and met sonic at the pro shop. There aren't any shops around, most stuff is online, great to be able to try stuff on because if I would've gone thru the net, I'd be very angry because I'd be returning my helmet forcing me to wait even longer.... A quick drive upstate and all that was solved. Sonic was a cool dude. Very helpful, he knows his shit.... Spent about a half hour looking at helmets(had my heart set on a full face), but probably would've spent the whole day if I was flipping between open faced or full faced. Again, great to be able to try them on, and it was great to meet Sonic.
So I ended up buying a cookie G-3. I liked the way it fit when I was at the shop, took it home and didn't LOVE it as much. Not to say I hate it, I just found it to be a bit tighter than I remembered. I have a big fat head so helmets can be a bit tricky lol. After thinking for a minute or two, I came to the conclusion take out the "front mouth piece" out, which is on with velcro. I felt that with that piece in(you get 2 types), my face felt "smooshed" and I looked like a jolly fat Buddha :) without that piece, the helmet was kind of comfy. The helmet is pretty straight forward otherwise. I've never seen or have ever dealt with the latching system of a "real" helmet, but have mastered it, even self teaching myself how to adjust the latch. It's pretty straight forward....
All in all, a great helmet. A bit pricey, but the sport is like that entirely. I may still invest in a pro tec or Benny for those days I don't feel so "posh"!! Haha. I'd reccomend it if you have the money to spend on it. Be sure to order a size larger or youll be returning the helmet getting angry.... Lol. People with bigger heads should maybe stay away from this one and try a phantom. Same kinda fit, a less snug and a bit cheaper. I like the way the cookie looks, just not sure of the name. I haven't jumped it yet, but I'll let you know. Till then, blue skies!!
www.taikorestuarant.com

Jump, pack, repeat.

Blue skies!!

I just picked up a Bonehead Revolve. I got a big noggin and it fit me very well. Like others are saying it works well with glasses which is another reason i wanted it. I wear a wider style of glasses and it clears the visor just fine. Plus you can pop the visor off and wear it as an open face if youre lucky enough to live were its warm.

I got lucky and picked up a brand new cookie G3 off ebay for $300 shipped. Just came in yesterday. I;m not ready to jump it yet but it was a deal I just couldn't pass up! The only thing I am concerned about it the chin strap pad seems wide and when I look down I freel pressure on my adams apple. I'll have to test her out in the future and see what up! lol

I got lucky and picked up a brand new cookie G3 off ebay for $300 shipped. Just came in yesterday. I;m not ready to jump it yet but it was a deal I just couldn't pass up! The only thing I am concerned about it the chin strap pad seems wide and when I look down I freel pressure on my adams apple. I'll have to test her out in the future and see what up! lol

The strap is easy to adjust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VujMCriQQ5U
Watch this video - at the 3:40 mark Cookie shows how to adjust the Gas helmet which is exaclty how you adjust the G2 or G3. It's easy. Once you find the sweet spot for your head and neck you never have to mess with it again.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I use a Cookie G2 and love it! The G3 is very similar.
The helmet gives you a huge field of view. I can't even see my helmet when I'm wearing it.
You do have to open the visor under canopy or it will fog up, though. Which is no big deal.
I picked mine up for about $240 used.

Here is a video of the G2 Helmet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q32FFSo3biA