gary350

"Deserved To Die. . ." ?

they were at a (Great White) concert. Now this is only speculation, but perhaps they deserved to die. 150 less Great White fans can't be a bad thing, can it?

I kid, I kid.

I'm curious, or maybe just confused (not that unusual) - perhaps someone can 'splain.

Mostly lurking these forums the past month or two, I've seen people get all in a snit about a little French-bashing and seen somebody get permanently thrown out of the forums for suggesting a skydiving suicide was "pioneering a new sport". But the posting above sits all weekend without a single word of dissent or condemnation.

Don't get me wrong - I believe in the first amendment and I have an acute sense of morbid black-death humor, but even I have limits to what I'll say in public based on respect for grieving families and a level (albeit low) of decent taste.

For instance, a few weeks ago when Wendy dedicated "Willy Nelson's" song, "Blue Skies" (actually written in 1927 by Irving Berlin and made famous by Benny Goodman) to the crew of Columbia, I immediately thought that perhaps Patsy Cline's song "I Fall To Pieces" was more appropriate. But did I say anything? No - too afraid to hurt people already hurting. Also, just a wuss - who needs the flaming bad vibes? Especially as a newbie, not one of the gang. . .

Almost 100 dead sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers. . . I'm not saying folks don't have a right to post certain opinions, feelings or humor, but why doesn't it move anyone in this mostly cordial, good natured forum to respond? Just curious (OK - and a bit judgemental - sorry).

Blue Skies, Black Crotchless Panties

Gary O.
BASE 350

P.S. In a respectful, yet still black-death, live-life-fully way, here is my song dedication to Columbia's crew, by Danny Elfman:

You worry too much / You make yourself sad
You can't change fate / But don't feel so bad
Enjoy it while you can / It's just like the weather
So quit complaining brother . . . . . . .
No one lives forever!!

Let's have a party there's a full moon in the sky
It's the hour of the wolf and I don't want to die

I'm so happy dancing while the grim reaper
cuts, cuts, cuts
But he can't get me (I'm as)
Clever as can be, and I'm very quick, but don't forget
No one lives forever!!!

You think you got it rough / What about your darling doggy?
Ten short years / And he's getting old and groggy
I don't think it's very fair
Cold, chop, low, but it's all relative my friend 'cause
No one lives forever!!!
Let's have a party there's a full moon in the sky
It's the hour of the wolf and I
Don't want to die (but) . . .

No one beats him at his game
For very long but just the same
Who cares, there's no place safe to hide
Nowhere to run--no time to cry
So celebrate while you still can
'Cause any second it may end.
And when it's all been said and done . . .
Better that you had some fun
Instead of hiding in a shell-Why make your life a living hell?
So have a toast, and down the cup
And drink to bones that turn to dust ('cause) . . .
No one, no one, no one, no one . . . . . . . (etc.)
No one lives forever!! (Hey!)

You're right that the post you quoted is in extremely poor taste. I missed seeing it beforehand. What thread is it from?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

The greenies can't catch everything. Putting a smiley at the end of something appalling doesn't make it OK, and saying "just kidding" doesn't either. And that was appalling.

Wendy W.
(who didn't know Irving Berlin wrote "Blue Skies")
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Black humor is ALWAYS in bad taste to someone..someone, somewhere knows someone that whatever situtation is being mocked occured to..

actually i think the reason that it went by without comment is that the BEST RESPONSE to any troll bait (this could qualify) is to ignore it..

far to many people get their 'panties in a wad' over such things

you know what? Shit happens.. cry or laugh its your choice because you cant change it once its happened.

Hi there,

Strangely, there seems to be 2 shades of "black" humour:o.

I also have what's considered to be a black sense of humour (as NacMac could quite possibly confirm... but WITHOUT the example please:)). In my job I use it to ward off a lot of the shittier things that happen. I expect that the other cops in this forum will back me up on this, and I accept that what is seen as funny in a closed institutional group would be cause for complaint from the general public.

As an old example, I was involved in recovery of a sudden death when a person was hit by an intercity train. Body parts were scattered along and beside about 1 mile of line! The first laugh (?) was when we were told that the doctor had to pronounce "life extinct" for each individual body part! As such, while he was hit by the train at about 0700hrs, legally his head didn't die until 0912, his left leg at 0927, etc...

The trackside was overgrown so somebody suggested using a dog to search which prompted the question of how to catch the dog when it found something...

Then there's the image of a colleague lifting a severed upper and forearm shouting for somebody to give him a hand...

Incidentally, with the time spread of the various body parts being pronounced dead, I now have evidence that a man's "genitalia" are the last thing to die!

Tasteless? Yes. But perhaps neccessary to make the situation managable for the cops there. I'd bet (actually I know - 'cos I've heard some of them) that the emergency services have made some VERY tasteless jokes about every disaster they attend. Some are for sharing (in one night Diana Spencer did more damage to the German car industry than a squadron of Lancasters), and some are not for sharing.

I suppose that humour depends on the audience and what's funny in one group becomes just sick and tasteless if aired in general.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Oh yeah... One other thing...

If these nightclub fires continue, then it's just possible that guns could actually become the #2 cause of death in the US!

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

"I also have what's considered to be a black sense of humour (as NacMac could quite possibly confirm... but WITHOUT the example please). "

Blackness confirmed.;)B|

I reckon if people are being truly offended by some statements here and and in other forums (incidents?), they should take issue with the poster via the PM system.
Otherwise, we see flame and counterflame, which serves no real purpose.

There are also cultural differences at play, which may also require a little thought, eg we might not want to hear shuttle tragedy 'jokes' but it may be 'okay' to make jokes about the French, Iraqis, etc......

I think this is worthy of some thought on all our parts, as we are about to enter an extremely sensitive period in world affairs. I'd hate to see damage done to our little community because of some humour failure, or insensitive posting.

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

"
It was a joke, Black humor. If you saw it on Deff Comedy Jam would you laugh? Or would write Deff comedy Jam a letter and cry outrage.

There was a little disrespect on my behalf towards the dead. Perhaps my condo was built on a Native American burial mound or somthing and i'm plauged by nightmares and stuff like that's my way of coping. maybee not.

I know it'll be hard to live with 3rd degree burns, and that you'll be an ugly mofo, and that 2nd degree burns will take a long time to heal. I also know that the dead can not be replaced. T he void will always be there in their families. Parents are going to bury their children. It is not the natural order of things.

What appears to be the natural order of things is fo rthe media to pump live feed of this into my office and pick it apart for me to sit thru. "it's my job to watch the news"

I don't like Great White, and I don't like the way they handled the "tragedy" they jumped their ratings by covering it. but I did not once see a phone number for American Red Cross, or a burn center or anything else that people could have called and donated money to.

If I could Send "Vibes" I would have sent "vibes" to prevent the fire. That's part of the reason I don't send "vibes" to me they mean less than 0, especially coming from 1's and 0's

I was just a little disgusted w/media, not wanting to get my day in the crapper dwelling on the dead and dying and I don't like Great White. I laughed when I thought that, as I was typing and posted w/o really thinking about the impact. I then carried on with my day and lived the way I do.

I apologize if you took offense to my humor. I'm not going to try and emmulate the Dali Lama or anything, but I'll work on not pouring salt on an open wound, next time a horrible tragedy happens. Like when we bomb Iroq

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

I agree that it is often helpful (and a tradition) to find humor in tragedy, as a way to cope and not be too affected by terrible stuff we cannot control. If we didn't insulate ourselves from horror to some degree, it would just get too grim and depressing. And true, everyone has their own things that they are particularly sensitive to.

No offense taken to your humor. Yeah, it's beyond what I personally would say in public, but I respect that people have their own thresholds, just as I respect that people have the right to dissent or condemn if they are offended.

My curiosity was in the community and its reaction. This is my first regular experience in a social forum like this and I'm fascinated by the whole thing.

Why does everyone see this as inappropriate only now, that one person has raised an objection? Where were your protests when the offending post was made?

actually i thought it was funny then too (i hate poser hairmetal bands) i was actually defending the 'offending post'