Birdman310

Rig Modifications

Hi everyone! New here and hope you all are having a good day so far. My question is when I choose to buy a rig, is there a way to modify that when I down size on canopy? Or will I simply have to purchase another rig suited for a smaller canopy? Mind you, I have not asked this question to any instructors at my DZ yet.

The serious answer is yes and no. Most rigs are sized so that they can safely fit at least two or three canopy sizes, essentially tight/optimal/soft. If you go too much smaller than the soft, you're at an increased risk of the closing loop being too loose to properly hold the pin in place.

Get with an experienced rigger or instructor you trust to help select gear, including sizes.

Many/most recommend used gear for your first rig. Unless your rich enough to absorb the depreciation of new when you do need to get a different rig to downsize.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

You can shorten the main closing loop to accomodate a main canopy one or two sizes smaller.

Javelins, Vectors and Wings can be adjusted for a wider range of canopies.
Beyond that, you are better buying a new container. Keep in mind that it will take you 100 to 1,000 to learn all the corners of the envelope on any canopy.