phatcat

When did people get so scared of nature?

In comparison, there's kinda a gap between leisure and survival. IMHO, people's disassociation from the process is a concern to me, because, of all the elementry things, we should at least be capable of getting your own food in order to survive. It speaks to our frail, self-created place on this earth, that we're unable to do that.

I just don't get your point.

That's because I failed miserably at expressing it. It was a fleeting thought that my brain applied an analogy to, and after a few beers I figured everybody else would get it, that was my mistake. Sorry. Like I said, just forget about it.

On the other hand, all of the replies to whatever everybody THOUGHT I meant are mildly entertaining to me ;)

i like camping and always going with my tent if i'm going to DZ or to the beach but in the city i feel beter inside, it doesn,t mean that i'm not going out but the streets are just dangerous at night

blue skies
pojo
In heaven all the interesting people are missing.

In comparison, there's kinda a gap between leisure and survival. IMHO, people's disassociation from the process is a concern to me, because, of all the elementry things, we should at least be capable of getting your own food in order to survive. It speaks to our frail, self-created place on this earth, that we're unable to do that.

Water is necessary to survive too, but I don't dig wells either.

Tell me, do you make your own hunting knives/guns/bows etc. or rely on someone else to do that for you?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It speaks to our frail, self-created place on this earth, that we're unable to do that.

"Unable"? Its just that most of us don't have to, and most of us don't want to, so we don't. But if we had to, we'd adapt to the new situation. That's what human beings do. Sure, there are a lot of squeamish wimps out there. But eventually they'd get used to it if they had to.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Well... the last time I shot a head of lettuce and gutted a carrot, yes, I made the weapons. Lol. (as I think I mentioned above, I'm vegan, don't really have a use for those things.)
I knew 'unable' would come back to me. I think that even though it was over emphasized, my point was that so many people are squemish because they're not part of the process, And not realizing the effect of ordering a hamburger or chicken fingers, rather than something with with less impact on the earth, like a veggieburger illustrates a cavalier attitude to life. But like I said, that is really, really, only my take on the whole thing.

One word: convience

We are raised by one or two parents, of which the majority work. Not having time to "hunt and gather". So we learn the work and pay method. We fear the unknown as most humans do. The dark, the wet, the "outdoors" to most of society is unkown, thus (cool I used the word thus) we are afraid. Its conditioning.

I hunt, fish, camp, etc. regularly. My freezer is stocked with deer, and other wildlife. I cleaned and prepped most if not all of the above. But I also have some fine cuts of steak, and pork. Even with a gun, in the pitch black woods in the early morning and late evening the woods become very still. It gives me the creeps. I know in my mind that its a zillion to one that anything other than my own actions will harm me, but yea im still spooked.

Call me what u will, but I dont care. If you dont get the willies in pitch black wilderness once in a while. your one heck of a person. Its just the way we are. Take away are homes and put is "outdoors" for a coulple of months and supermarkets and "indoors" would be feel unusual to us.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

What about the effects on that lettuce or carrot? Go read "The Secret Life of Plants" by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird. In it, as well as many other books along the same lines, plants are shown to respond to stimuli just like animals do in various experiments. Plants are living things, and you can't tell me they don't feel. How do you know, have you ever been a plant?
Whether you eat meat or vegetables you are still killing. Even fruitarians kill. We do not get by without killing. To avoid killing anything, you would have to not exist. When we breathe, we kill millions of microrganisms. When we shower or scratch, we still kill more.

If other creatures must die in order for me to live, it might as well be the tasty, juicy ones.