CanuckInUSA

Colorado and snow

As someone who's lived in Colorado for the last five years, I'd like to think I have a pretty good handle on the people and the weather. And for the most part, Colorado is not as cold as many people think and we don't get as much snow as many people think. But every once in a while, a big snow storm hits us and hits us hard.

Colorado is in the process of getting dumped on. It started yesterday as rain, turned to snow over night and it's supposed to snow all day today, tonight and into tomorrow and possibly into Thursday. It's possible that by this time tomorrow, we will be snowed in. But at the moment we're not. But what gets me (the reason why I'm posting this), is the way many people in this state react to a snow storm. You'd think that the people of Colorado would know how to handle the weather. But I seriously doubt they can. Maybe it's all the Texas and Californians who've invaded the state and are responsible for the negative hype. Maybe the people of Colorado just don't know what bad weather is? I don't know? Now it's currently snowing outside, but I can still see the pavement on the major roads, yet schools and businesses are closing left right and center. It's kind of hilarious. Maybe I'm saying all of this because I grew up in Canada and Canadians try not to let the weather dictate their lives. I mean after all, if they did, Canucks would be hibernating all winter long (which contrary to popular belief they don't).

Anyway, I'll end this now so that y'all (said in my best southern accent) can get back to your GW versus Sadam talk. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Maybe I'm saying all of this because I grew up in Canada and Canadians try not to let the weather dictate their lives. I mean after all, if they did, Canucks would be hibernating all winter long (which contrary to popular belief they don't).

Anyway, I'll end this now so that y'all (said in my best southern accent) can get back to your GW versus Sadam talk. ;)

I tried hibernating this winter but there is just too many good shows on T.V.

You can see pavement? what does it look like?

You may be right, I think it is our fault...
Like Canada will ever be able to influence something as big as this war.

I really think it is Canada's fault. They've been sending so much cold weather down here this winter with their giant fans along the border that everyone is short tempered and a little stir crazy.

Heard it's coming down bad in Denver right now.

Yah it's so bad that I can still see the pavement on Highway 36, yet everything is closing. LOL ... sure I'll leave work, go home and watch some skydiving videos if the boss wants us all to leave work early. :P

Couple of pics from the recent blizzard. We got over 2 1/2 feet - closer to three feet downtown. I had to shovel twice - once yesterday when it was a mere 18 inches, and again today. These pics were several hours after it stopped - it's been melting down quite a bit.

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

american_gothic.jpg

buried_cars.jpg

snow_kitten.jpg

I've never chucked cats out into snow - they never seem to appreciate it. Now dogs - I've thrown quite a few dogs into big snow. I only do that because they like it :)
Anyway, I was wondering if three feet of snow would be a good setting to practice *basic* canopy swooping. Seems like the landings would be a bit softer if you frap. Any swoopers have an opinion on this?

I am thoroughly convinced now that the vast majority of the people who live on Colorado's front range are whimps when it comes to snow. Yes we did receive a lot of snow which was an inconvinience, but life goes on. I'm working in an office which is half empty today because some people claim they are stranded and get get out of their driveways. Here's an example of an email a work colleague just sent us:

"I just got my Jeep completely stuck (high centered it). I live in an apt. complex and don't own a shovel, so I guess I'll be waiting for a little while."

So this dude is going to wait for the snow to melt instead of getting a shovel (or something which will work like a shovel, such as his hands).

What a joke.

whimps when it comes to snow

This is generally true, but only because we don't get as much snow as everyone seems to think. People don't realize that Colorado is a semi-arid desert, and precipitation is relatively low, but they think of skiing, so comparisons to Canada or even Montana are pretty absurd. Here is a list that show annual snowfall by City - Denver isn't even close to the top:

http://www.weathertoday.net/weatherfacts/snowfall.php

And that list is only US cities - Canada would probably blow us away in that department. Although Colorado is a great state for skydiving! 69% Sunny days in Denver:

http://www.weathertoday.net/weatherfacts/percentsunny_city.php

Although state-wide, we have over 300 sunny days:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/denverboulderandcoloradosprings/1608020006.html

I work at the College in Greeley. On Tuesday I didn't have a problem getting there and back home to Loveland. Hwy 34 was slow going, but fine. The college closed down yesterday, and my boss called me this morning and told me not to come in. So, that means my Spring Break starts early. I don't have to be back to work till April 1st. How lucky am I? I guess I'll have to head up to the slopes tomorrow.B|

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey