BlueSkiesKel

politically correct BS

English may be the language of eduaction and government etc..., but we are a free country and they never set a restriction on what language you could speak. This was attempted at schools for American Indians that tried to integrate them into European culture and they were punished severly for speaking their native language. You can speak whatever you want to your friends, and its your loss if you can't communicate with everyone else. I don't mind if people are here that can't speak English, but they aren't going to make it very far in life if they can't talk to people.

As long as there are more rewards for learning English, the vast majority of the go-getters will do so. Since right now university education, most major stores, and a whole lot of people speak English as a primary or communication language, that's pretty much true.

It's harder to get along if you don't speak English. That's pretty reasonable. It shouldn't be impossible.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

She should have to show her face for identification purposes..
When i lived in Tennessee, as a kid , they had cardboard paper drivers licenses: No picture. That worked very well for going into bars, when you were 17. Unfortunetely we loose rights all the time. Like Helmet laws. We used to be able to drink beer while water skiing. Any way if the law is that we have pictures to drive a car then she should have to chose: not to have a drivers licence and not to drive a car. If you were a criminal i am sure you would suddenly have a religion that does not allow you to be photoed or fringerprinted ect.

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

i think the impt thing to keep in mind is that all this politically correct bull**** is taking over and is getting ridiculous!
america should be america! not all the other countries combined into one!
i mean seriously, my dad came from another country but does he go around saying things to be changed? no! he loves america and thats why he's here!
ok enough griping, have a good nite:)

> america should be america! not all the other countries combined into one!

Well, except america _is_ a lot of other countries combined into one. Very few people are native to america. We inherit a lot from other countries (our system of measurement, our language, much of our cuisine) while creating our own unique variants (cajun cuisine, the phenomenon that is hollywood.) I think that's one of the things that's good about the USA - we have taken cultures from througout the world and proven they can live together in one of the freest societies on the planet.

>i mean seriously, my dad came from another country but does he go
> around saying things to be changed?

Sometimes change is good, though. Bob Hope changed TV entertainment, and US foreign policy will never quite be the same after Henry Kissinger. And I'm glad Carlos Santana did not shy away from bringing his own changes to american music. I think the acceptance of new things from other cultures is what keeps our culture vibrant; I'd hate to see it stop changing.