Rebecca

Way to go, Sears

No matter how you feel about the current situation, our troops deserve our support. Got this in an e-mail, thought it was cool. Glad to see someone setting an example...

IT IS ALL ABOUT HOW YOU TREAT THE PROTECTORS OF OUR LAND.
I assume you have all seen the reports about how Sears is treating its reservist employees who are called up?
By law, they are required to hold their jobs open and available, but nothing more. Usually, people take a big pay cut and lose benefits as a result of being called up...
Sears is voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and maintaining all benefits, including medical insurance and bonus programs, for all called up reservist employees for up to two years. I submit that Sears is an exemplary corporate citizen and should be recognized for its contribution. I suggest we all shop at Sears, and be sure to find a manager to tell them why we are there so the company gets the positive reinforcement it well deserves.
Pass it on.
According to a spokesman for Sears, the company has extended the period in which it will make up the difference between active duty pay and normal salary from 30 days to 24 months. Medical, dental, and life insurance are extended as well. The employee pays part and the company pays part.
Sears is also offering a make-up plan on 401K plans so a reservist will not lose retirement benefits.

:)

Hmmmm....guess Sears is getting in on the propoganda wagon as well

Chicago area companies, and private sector companies in general, vary considerably in what they provide their reservists. Allstate Insurance makes up the difference between military pay and the employee's pay for one year, and also extends profit sharing and health insurance for one year. Conversely, Sears, Roebuck, and Co. offers its employees two weeks of supplemental pay and no health benefits. American Airlines offers no paid compensation and only 31 days of health insurance to the 200 pilots who have been called up for active duty. And smaller companies tend to provide even less.

http://www.fpmi.com/FedNews/WeeklyInsight/show_article.cgi?id_number=45

Edit...that article is from 2001, they may have changed their policy, but I'd still confirm this info before going out of your way to congratulate them.

Yeah, I hear ya, I wonder into Sears for a specific wrench or a specific tool and end up walking out with a handful of tools I "need".

A man without a nice set of tools is indeed no man at all.:P

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Green's unit probably will be placed somewhere in the Middle East, he said. He doesn't yet know where, but it will be a world away from his civilian life, where he has two children and is in charge of Sears deliveries in Maryland. While on active duty, he expects to lose about $1,000 a month, the equivalent of his monthly mortgage payment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37196-2003Mar3.html

Glad to see our female troops weren't neglected...

Publishers Send Free Magazines to Awe Troops

Publishers Send Free Magazines to Awe Troops
Wed Mar 26, 9:34 AM ET Add Oddly Enough - Reuters to My Yahoo!

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. troops in Iraq (news - web sites) will soon be able to adorn their quarters with the 21st Century's answer to World War II pin-ups, as the publisher of Maxim and Stuff ships free copies of the men's lifestyle magazines to their mailboxes.

Dennis Publishing said it hopes its scantily clad cover models will help U.S. soldiers endure war in the same way the curvy girls drawn by Peruvian-born artist Alberto Vargas became one of the biggest morale-boosters among servicemen in the 1940's.

Dennis Publishing said on Tuesday it is shipping 15,000 free copies of Maxim, Stuff and its musical magazine Blender to 40 different military tent sites across Kuwait, Jordan, Qatar, Afghanistan (news - web sites) and Oman.

Meanwhile Time Inc.'s Sports Illustrated is also making arrangements to send copies of its two latest issues on college basketball and baseball to soldiers in Iraq and surrounding areas.

"We are trying to get between 3,000 and 5,000 copies sent over," a spokesman for the magazine said. Another Time Inc. favorite, celebrity magazine People, could follow.

Playboy Enterprises Inc. will not send copies of its legendary namesake magazine to the front. Instead, the company plans to set up an e-mail address where U.S. servicemen around the world can sign up to receive non-nude pictures and a message from the famed Playmates.

Publishers are also reaching to the G.I. Janes.

Long before the war started, Hearst Corp. sent issues of its Marie Claire magazine along with skin care products to a dozen of female soldiers in the front after receiving a letter from them asking for some entertainment material.

The publisher said it will also be shipping copies of its Good Housekeeping title soon.