78RATS

Draft

my kid is 17yoa. We were talking about the war yesterday and the subject of the draft came up.

Anybody know the prerequisites for instituting the draft and/or what developments would have to occur before it is likely?

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

I can't vouch for any political leanings in the following links, but here are some interesting articles/sites for additional information. It may help...

http://www.sss.gov/
Selective Service website

Interesting article,
http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=26197

Additional article
http://www.ncpa.org/iss/nat/pd092401e.html

And one more...
http://www.orgs.bucknell.edu/bucknellian/current/business_politics01.shtm

Just stuff fyi...

ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

my kid is 17yoa. We were talking about the war yesterday and the subject of the draft came up.

Anybody know the prerequisites for instituting the draft and/or what developments would have to occur before it is likely?

Um, WWIII??

the selective service will probably send him a card or letter to fill out, whether it be war or peacetime. my 18 year old went behind my back and joined while i was at work, i'm going to save hime the enemy the trouble and kill him when i get home. J/K
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

No Doubt, Lisa!!! Of course my child is only 6 (maybe I'm over-reacting a little....lol), but I've definately thought about how I'll feel if someone decides it's time to put my child's life at risk in a few years over something that we, in my family, are 100% against.... I think my panties might get in a even a bigger wad then.

==8-0
Lindsey
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

you all sound like a bunch of old maids. dont blow your bloomers off about it. this is a democracy, and the people of this nation have an obligation to fulfill the commands of our superiors. thats the way it is. whether there is a draft or not, and whether your children are inducted or not, that certainly does not mean "death, sadness and destruction". certainly not to their future. when it comes to being drafted, there are a myriad of positions in the military besides just the stereotypical position - infantry. much of the navy is about standoff combat aboard ships, and the army certainly does not mean direct combat.

there really, really is nothing to worry about.

besides, the sss would not re-institute the draft unless there was a major conflict/world war. since world war II and vietnam, military operations have become much more precise and surgical, in all general terms, than in those times. there is now much less a need for actual troops to be shipped within conflicting regions then there used to be. we used to base attacks on soldier charges to overpower the enemys trenches. now we send missiles and planes and bombs and tanks and cannons into battle, which even in themselves operate under standoff conditions, then use troops as occupants to safeguard the regions after the major-scale of the war has passed. our troops are much safer now than they used to be, with all our technology, and there is much less a need for them than in the earlier conflicts. im just trying to relate this to what you are seeing today, and im just trying to give you the reality of it all.

-e

. . . and im just trying to give you the reality of it all.

Perhpas that's what you're trying to do, but reality is vastly different than what you've just described.
In the early stages of the Gulf War of 1991 the video game warfare you've described was true, but the reality is that Bush, the elder, was a smart enough man to know that taking the war downtown was going to be a really bad idea.
Wait a couple of weeks and I think you'll see a big freekin' dose of reality on CNN when the troops start the urban combat portion of this war.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Easy to say if you don't have a child of draftable age.

My son is 19. My shorts are in a bunch.

Easy? Not if you knew where I'm coming from-
I'm a vet, and my service time included Desert Storm and the Bosnian conflict. (Not too many people remember or even knew about that one-)
I've got 18 and 15 yr old daughters and an eleven year old son.

My Dad was drafted for WW II

There are plenty of reserves left to draw on, then they would start recalling folks recently separated. (inactive reserve-)

We're all a little nervous - One thing to keep in mind, is our all-volunteer military. There would be plenty of volunteers before Uncle Sam had to start pulling people off the streets.

I'm not denying the possibility, just that it doesn'r seem likely. There hasn't even been the smallest mention of it that I know of.