Conscientious Objector

Mmm. Back in the bad old days of apartheid, we were all drafted. Having been drafted into the military, as opposed to having joined, you will find some people less keen to kill (in our case our fellow countrymen) than others. Some were made cooks and stewards etc. If you had Fudds viewpoint, that by cooking you're freeing up another gun - you spent 4 years in DQ's or DB, depending on your unit - our equivalent of "rocks in Kansas" If your objection was political - you did 7 years in a civilian jail. (In SA you get 3 years if convicted for your first violent rape) and a criminal record for life.

I think it takes more courage to go through what this young man is going through - than to hide face down in the dirt and cry your way through your first firefight - and then go home a hero. I think we've all met a few of those.

Just my thoughts.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

In Norway we still get drafted. I objected and served 14 months of civil service, giving something back to society in my eyes much more meaningful than joining the army.

If one resists civil service in Norway, one is put in prison for 12 months. after that they ask you again if you have change your view on things, and if not you risk beeing sentenced to 12 more months! One guy served 36 months in prison this way. (Three convictions for the same crime)

You are right Tonto, there is a great difference between being drafted and joining.
Even though i don't want to serve in the army, I support the thought that everybody should serve and give something back to society. I just think it should apply to girls to....(opening another can of worms here....)

There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Even though i don't want to serve in the army, I support the thought that everybody should serve and give something back to society. I just think it should apply to girls to....

Frankly, I couldn't agree with you more. It would end up being partly the responsibility of the person (to do the job), and partly the responsibility of the country (to find a job for kids who wouldn't qualify for military -- mildly retarded, physically disabled etc.). Think of the advantages of having training in finding useful work for people, and the advantages of nearly everyone having experience in holding a job.

And yes, women too.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Lets see, "I'm going to join the most leathal fighting force the US has and I object to war..."

Fucking brain donor. I have no problems with people who are CO's (objectors, not commanders), but why the fuck would you join the military? Get money for school? If you're not willing to fight, then you don't deserve the fucking money. I hope he gets to go to Kansas and work with rocks for a while.

He hasn't done anything to justify a trip to Kansas.

Toro Crapo buddy - at the VERY LEAST he missed movement. Brig time is quite acceptable at this point. Add to that the fact that he was, I think, 30 days late - that turns a UA charge into Desertion - brig time again. I personally feel that any pussy that "turns himself in" while holding mommy's hand and having his sister carry his sea bag ought to be bled like a pig.

CZ

, he is also guilty of Missing a Movement

When I was in, it was called "Failure to Go", as in, didn't go where/when you were directed to in your orders. Little kick in the pants they gave you to remind you to return from ETS leave on time at your new duty location. B|
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."