harro

Air America

while we're on Army planes, can anyone tell me what the BIGGEST 4 engine jet youze guys fly? Just saw one up close and personal

My home is unde the main flight path and most traffic flies overhead at about 6-800 ft AGL (man do Cessna look tiny and slow!!) Anyway, this horkin' huge 4 engine thingy with "US Air Force" written behind the cockpit and ahead of the front door flew in an hour or so ago.

It would DWARF a 747 and the Hercs that fly by every day (man do I LOVE the sound of a well trimmed 4 engine prop plane). I thought it might be an Antonov but then I thought better of that (you wouldn't DARE buy russian ... would you?).

Any ideas?

Dave

Porters and skyvans and King airs oh my:o

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Well with such as good description like that I would have to take a guess that maybe it was a C5. But then again you might consider a 130 big so who knows unless you can find a pic of it
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

My -guess- would be that he's been looking at a C-5, which is -easily- mistaken for an An-124, its' Soviet-era and Soviet-made counter-part.

The other option would be a C-17, but since he didn't mention the goofy-assed winglets, I'm guessing that's probably not the case.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Beer for Quade. Having looked at both I THINK it was the C-17. I honestly didn;t pay attention to winglets or no winglets but the nose profile of the C-17 is closer than the C-5 and the markings were almost identical. Whatthehell do you guys PUT in those things?!?!? A 300 way in 1 pass?

The Big Antonov was here a few years ago at an air show (and then picked up 10 combine harvesters if I recall).

Loudiamond, I see C-130's on flyby every day and no, they don't seem so big.

...until they drop in on Gimli (YGM) while we're jumping. We have one of 3 SARex training targets in Canada (wha a lovely bowl of peas in which to land) and see them taxi by but a hundred feet or so away.

Cooler still (but annoying because they don't seem to care about our "space" ) are the Canadair CL-215 water bombers

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/307493/L/

Big smoky radials make such a wonderful sound...

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Loudiamond, I see C-130's on flyby every day and no, they don't seem so big.

Well if you thougth the C17 was big, you should see a C5 in person. I've had the pleasure of jumping out of both the C17 and the C5. Very BIG fun in deed.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I flew back from Somalia in the back of a C-5. God, that was a huge plane. You could play football in the cargo bay, if it weren't for all the rollers. Flying with your back to the direction of flight was pretty odd, but it was a lot more comfortable than that cramped 747 on the way over.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Ummm, Florida kinda spoiled me. My blood is thin. I might jump the 30-degree temps, but might just do what I did Saturday night: Pick up a truckload of pallets along the way so I can be warm when I *talk* about skydiving with my friends. good times. hehee

We'll see...the lotus needs to devour some air...

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Well if you thougth the C17 was big, you should see a C5 in person. I've had the pleasure of jumping out of both the C17 and the C5. Very BIG fun in deed.

while i havn't had the pleasure of jumping out i have had the "pleaseure" of loading one to the hilt with cargo a few times..... nothing like rolling up the front in a truck, droping of an f-16 engine and driving out the back......... never been in a c-17 though, they are smaller, about 2/3 the size of a c-5... but can takeoff in a shorter distance and are way more modern....... the joke always was and still is.... so you know you're leavingon a c-5 right?...yup, we know that, just not sure when.........those thigs always break... i waited for one somehwere near omrimon (dz.commer overseas) for a week once cuz the thing was broke in germany.....

okay, just watched this on tv tonight... the movie is set in 1969, but when the guys bail out of their plane, i noticed a three-ring release.. i think someone screwed up there!:S

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I flew back from Somalia in the back of a C-5. God, that was a huge plane. You could play football in the cargo bay, if it weren't for all the rollers. Flying with your back to the direction of flight was pretty odd, but it was a lot more comfortable than that cramped 747 on the way over.

Been there, done that. Walking around inside that monster while it's cruising at 30k is a real trip.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

There was a jump made in this movie... does anyone know who it was and was the place a DC9 ?

Yeah, but holy anachronism, Batman. Did you notice the harnesses the characters were wearing?;)
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Well if you thougth the C17 was big, you should see a C5 in person.

your not kidding..i flew back from Europe once with an apache folded up inside one..wish i had a picture, apaches have long been compared to insects, but seeing one tied down like that in a tight, dark enclosed space was rather frightening..