wmw999

Quick tax question -- anyone know?

Well, I helped my dad with his taxes over the weekend, and we mailed it out, with the payment, on Saturday. Unfortunately, the return wasn't signed (oops!). I'm wondering if they'll just send it back, or hold the check and then dun him for interest, or what? It's accurate (I hope), just unsigned...

And if anyone is wondering how someone could be dumb enough to forget to sign a return, I also forgot jury duty once.:S

thanks
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm in the same boat

You don't know how much better that makes me feel :P. Not real sure why, but definitely better

Wendy
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

In your shoes I think I'd cancel the first check and send a whole nother copy of everything.

My instinct is they'll reject the whole thing and penalize him for filing late...

You can probably also get away with just filing for an extension tonight / tomorrow, then all you pay extra is the interest on the amount due.

not a lawyer

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I like that answer a whole lot better.... Not that it's guaranteed to be accurate, just I like it better.
thanks
Wendy

I think I like that answer better than mine too =)

On second thought it's probably not such a good idea to cancel a check you sent to the gov't.

Maybe send in a photocopy / carbon copy of the original check with the corrected return.

nathaniel
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Gee, I'd think so long as the CHECK was signed they wouldn't really give a hoot. Might call you to check (notice they ask for your phone number) but money is money. Why not just call the IRS and ask? Sure, you'll have to wait, but for peace of mind.... or perhaps check their website FAQ. Gotta be asked fairly often. Good luck!

Fall in dove.

Surprisingly enough, I couldn't find it on the website, and I waited almost 40 minutes on the phone, and gave up. Since we mailed the check, they're unlikely to haul him off to jail.

Wendy W.

Just call the hotline to have that question answered. I forget the site to goto also.

Just make sure you keep that cancelled check.

I believe as long as the social is on the return it is O.K.

I maybe a junior accountant but I have avoided the Tax class. I hear it is insane. :S

Wish I could have helped more.

here is the website: www.irs.gov

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

ONLY 40 minutes, Silly girl, this is the IRS.Try waiting as many as SIX hours to ask a question.

huh, guess I'm lucky, not only did I talk to them yesterday, but I talked to 2 different agents and was done in about 25 minutes total..
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

where have you been baby doll?

I just caught this.... well, arntchu sweet?!?!?! Just dealing with a big load of crap that life dumped on my doorstep. Nothing I can't handle, but it's been pretty stinky for awhile and I'm exhausted from all the struggling. When I get too overwhelmed I escape by, um, killing kittens. ;) And how are you?!:)

Fall in dove.