cgross

O'Reilly article on Jean Chretien

quote]The fact that he's popular does not make him a good journalist. Usually, it's the exact opposite.

The reason he is popular is because he is a good journalist. Not biased like some other reporters. Just because he dosn't line up with your point of view dosn't make him bad.

Just because he dosn't line up with your point of view dosn't make him bad.

And just because he does line up with yours doesn't make him good, right?

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I won't argue your economic arguement, but I do see it quite differently. I'm not just pulling it out of my ass, either - My BA had a minor in political science and economics.

Well, let's simplify it. What would happen to you if 80% of your food intake was curtailed?

I'm not pulling it out of my *ss either...real reported figures say:

http://www.fin.gc.ca/wp/2002-06e.html
Predicting a one-quarter decline in real Canadian GDP.

http://www.guelphmercury.com/business/b031075A.html
CIBC World Markets shows the US economy is directly impactding the near term growth in Canada and that GDP will fall to under 3% for 2003.

http://www.parapundit.com/archives/000282.html
This one just points to an interesting discussion about the pace of the relative economies.

If the US economy is too diverse. Remember before we were even a super-economic-power, the 1929 was felt throughout the world. The impact today would have to be much greater, but it's pretty difficult to ignore the sheer weight of the "big" numbers.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

>The reason he is popular is because he is a good journalist.

So the more popular, the better the news/opinion source? Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh are about the best journalists around? I would disagree with that theory. Unbiased sources are usually pretty boring, therefore not that popular. Note how popular C-SPAN is.

This "yes yes, sure we'll humour you regarding your opinions, but push it long enough and you'd better watch it" attitude that's cropping up is ridiculous and totally opposite to the kind of society (global) that we're all shooting for.

I for one don't want to hold hands and sing "it's a small world after all" We went to iraq for our own and the area's safety and to depose a mad man and a man who is guilty of mass murder.

>We went to iraq for our own and the area's safety and to depose a
>mad man and a man who is guilty of mass murder.

I thought it was to rid Iraq of WMD's, as required under UN resolution. Is the objective changing now that we can't find any?

Gotta hand it to you.. the Canadian Author.
I love the difference of opinions. The man makes a lot of sence. In this country right now it is EXCEEDINGLY unpopular to voice a dissenting opinion in any way without being labled unpatriotic.

Most americans seem to be supporting Mr Bush and Company. He and the other chicken hawks are those of priveledge that talk a good game but have never put thier butts on the line.
I support the people who are there in harms way.. rooting out terrorists and thier supporters is thankless work most days.

But I think Mr Bush has stepped very hard on his thing.... and we the American people will be paying for his mistakes in diplomacy for years to come.

Amazon

"We went to iraq for our own and the area's safety "

The occupants of the immediate area were so behind this idea that they all fell over themselves to support the coalition.

I read further up the thread that there is talk of sending Saddam to the Hague. As far as I am aware, the US doesn't recognise the International Criminal Court?
So why would they send a war criminal there?
Why not bang him up in limbo in Guantanamo Bay, along with all the other "non criminals, and non POWs?"

I'm still waiting to see the evidence that the government had pre-conflict, but couldn't release because they didn't want to compromise their sources.......
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson