wildblue

any auto body people?

I'm looking at buying a new car (well, used car) it's a 2002. The problem is it has a ridiculous amount of paint chips across the hood. Someone suggested the factory didn't paint it right. Is that possible? And is it possible to get them to fix it? It doesn't look like it's been wrecked, and a shitty paint job put over it. Or is it possible they just drove down a lot of gravel roads and chipped the crap out of it. Is that something you can just touch up? Paint the whole hood? And what's something like that cost?
Thanks!
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Make sure you take it to get it looked at by a dealer or someone with similar knowledge. Often the paint chipping on a hood is an indicator that the car was in a big enough accident to have bent the hood, requiring repainting, and was poorly repainted. I know because that is the situation with my current car. Of course if it is just a faulty paint job, and it is a 2002 model, I'm pretty sure that that is covered under the manufacturers warranty that has to still be good (assuming that it wasn't in an accident that has voided part of the warranty.)

I would think that if the chipping were caused by gravel or rocks you would be able to see small dings in the hood too.

:)

"Your mother's full of stupidjuice!"
My Art Project

Someone suggested the factory didn't paint it right. Is that possible?

It definitely has happened. Can't remember which mfg. had a very large number of cars with this issue. I think there may have been a class action law suit about it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Wooohooo! Who knew my talents would come in handy. First I will qualify. Over 12 years autobody experience. Owned my own shop for 5 years '95 to '00 until health problems caused me to give it up. Specialized in European but my my first love is american muscle cars. Several show cars to my name and had a car in the movie almost famous. Ok done showing off. Now to answer your question. Probable rock chips across the front of the hood is what I'm assuming you're talking about. If there are chips or peeling let say on top in the center then there is an issue. It was probably repainted for some reason. Most likely a collision. If that is the case then I wouldn't buy it. Simple fact is that if the refinish on the hood is substandard the rest of the work was also probably not done well and it will surface over time. If it is just rock chips across the front then it is not much of a problem. The hood will have to be refinished and a possible blend across the fenders. Depends on how well the shop can match the color. by no means take it to a Macco, one day, earl schibe or other production paint shop. Get some references and take it to someone reputable. You may pay a little more but in the long run you'll be happy. Most shops will offer lifetime guarantee on their work so ask. The concern about the rock chips is that the vehicle may have traveled heavily on gravel or dirt roads. Excessive rock chips is not consistent for normal freeway driving (at least in CA)so have the suspension checked for excessive wear. Hmmmm... Did I forget anything? There is a member that is an estimator for a dealership in AZ if you would like a second opinon. When I find his name I'll let you know. If you have any more questions let me know. Of course you now owe me a beer. I will collect on sight:)
Cheers

Ed

Chipping Paint is not that uncommon. Chevy's were notorious for it for a while. When they first started using water based paints, they didn't have it perfected yet, and big pieces would just peel off.

It is entirely possible (probable) that the care was repainted since it's a 2002.

It sounds as if the paint is just not properly adhered to the primer. Stripping off the paint and repainting is in order to correct it. Seek an estimate from a body shop.

Edit: Keep in mind I quit painting cars YEARS ago (also health reasons...wasn't having any, didn't want any)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

OH OH OH I worked for an Auto Body Shop. Oh but wait...I was the freakin' janitor. Summer job, the most physically challenging job I have had, worse than my paper route:D 8 hours a day, 5 days a week of sweeping sanded compound crap, cleaning the paint room (OMG I WEN'T HOME HIGH EVERY DAY), and detailing cars in the summer heat for minimum wage ($6.50). No unfortunately I can't offer you advice, but I CAN complain! DAMN!:S:D

Paint chips I dont see as being a factory flaw in my time as a Painter "Orange Peel" seems to be one that is most common for factory paint jobs which is due to lack of clear in certain areas, paint chips or rock chips would be due to driving and is also common touching it up shouldnt be too much of a problem. If it is down to just the base you should be able to wet sand it and buff it out however if it goes down to the primer Id personally reccomend getting the entire hood repainted... the price will also vary from body shop to body shop however I doubt youll spend more than 150-200$ to get the hood repainted. If your lucky you may find one that will spray it for next to nothing granted you supply the paint. (Drop the hood off in the AM and pick it up in the PM) But be sure and look around first. Hope some of this helped.;)

- GQ

... it was the love of the air and sky and flying, the lure of adventure, the appreciation of beauty ...
-Charles Lindberg

I worked for an Auto Body Shop. Oh but wait...I was the freakin' janitor. Summer job,

Cool...the correct title would be the shop rat.B|

Hey we all started there and it sucks. If you stick with it you can learn a lot. Of course that depends on the folks you're working with. Plus if your under age the guy will give you a beer now and then.

Ed

Chipping Paint is not that uncommon. Chevy's were notorious for it for a while. When they first started using water based paints, they didn't have it perfected yet, and big pieces would just peel off.

Not too much of an issue anymore. PPG had come up with a paint system in the 80's to meet new EPA standards. It was a disaster. Serious adhesion problems and breakdown of the clearcoat. Shouldn't be an issue for a 2002 vehicle. Damn dude it has been a while since you've painted.;)

What a terrible job though, I should have sued the bastages. I worked for a place called Scotty's Auto Body, and wow...Yeah there were a couple cool guys there, but it really pissed me off when someone would finish up in their stall then leave all their freakin' razor blades and junk for me to pick up. More often than not, I would miss one and slice myself when sweeping up. I really really really hated having to scrub every inch of the rims with a toothbrush. Oh and my ex-girlfriends dad was basically my boss. I was trying to get back with her at the time though so it wasn't all bad.

>Damn dude it has been a while since you've painted.

I wasn't kidding.. I was going to delete the post, but some one already posted after :D

Yep for several years I did Lots of Auto body and paint, ended up painting a ton of Semi's and Beer trailers too. Try putting a gloss on a surface 5 feet up and away from you :P

55 gallon drums were the standard platform to paint on, You can walk them all over the place, used to drive the boss nuts doing 360's like on a skate board.. Good times... (too many fumes)
:S

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Hey now you wanna know hell sheit I worked for Wanderlodge the big coach company in Fort Valley Georgia painting the coaches and you wanna talk about hell good god I actually began to hate painting after a couple days of this but then again it was the money I made that made me stay so there werent too many complaints...However the idea that we were painting the Million dollar coaches with Glazurit and not PPG or Akzo Nobel Sikkens was a bit of a shock. But hey I guess thats what ya get.

I'm wondering what those here with paint experience prefered to spray as well as what there gun preference was
I prefer PPG Global Clear
and Sikkens Base
I have a Gravity fed Sata-Jet NR2000 HVLP (1.4) and a Sata-jet HVLP 90 (1.3)
and of course the Sata Mini-jet
- GQ

... it was the love of the air and sky and flying, the lure of adventure, the appreciation of beauty ...
-Charles Lindberg

I prefer PPG Global Clear
and Sikkens Base
I have a Gravity fed Sata-Jet NR2000 HVLP (1.4) and a Sata-jet HVLP 90 (1.3)
and of course the Sata Mini-jet

I have the same guns. I loved Standox when it was sold in the US. Spies Hecker is great also. (same manufactuer) I liked sikkens but it really showed some sand scratches and the was a problem with lifting sometimes. Then again you have to realize paint in CA is different from county to county due to Air pollution control regs.

Thanks for the info.
The chips aren't just right at the front of the hood, but most of them are right near the front (where the hood is still sloping upwards). They go about halfway back on the hood. There was no obvious signs of it having been in an accident.
Maybe I will take it to a body shop before I sign papers though.
Oh, and I know to avoid macco and those types :)

Keep in mind though you are buying a used vehicle. Be sure and see what the warranty covers cause if it is still under warranty it may not be bumper to bumper including paint and such so be sure and check on that. Now if they are willing to repaint the hood and such then be sure and see if you can get a full detail including High speed buffing in order to blend everything cause Im sure the car has been subject to acid rain as well as sun damage.
- GQ

-Charles Lindberg

He's getting that Lexus convertible.

:D:D:D

Thank you clearing that up. I am not too familiar with wildblue and I didn't know if he was a she or.:S I couldn't tell fron the avatar or the profile. I was being soo careful to make my reply gender neutral.

I'm glad that's over.

Ed

I am not too familiar with wildblue and I didn't know if he was a she or. I couldn't tell fron the avatar or the profile.

I've seen wildblue in person and i'm still not sure if it's a he or a she. And wtf is that avatar anyway??

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

What ya getting?

If the word KIA appears please PM me so I can hang myself.:|

Ed

ACK! ICK! No! Looking at a Grand Am. Almost bought an Eclipse... turbo B| But, I figured I'd like my insurance rates to be slightly lower than my car payment. Really wanted something like a Ford F-150, but gas mileage sucks and they're way too expensive, even used! Assuming it hasn't been wrecked, this Grand Am is a sweet deal - only been on the road about 15 months, the girl is selling it because she's going back to school (she says) and other than a few rock chips, it looks to be in great shape.

As far as the Warranty goes - the paint is supposed to be covered for 5 years from Pontiac (little known fact) but I guess it's almost impossible for you to actually get them to pay for a paint job.. something about proving it was a defect in workmanship or something like that. I think everything else is 3yr/36k miles.

Wildblue would be an IT. We have to chose our words carefully around "him" as to not offend. Trust me... its nothing that those of us that jump at "his" DZ have'nt had to deal with.

I just feel sorry for Vallerina... she actually has enough confidence to date "him".

And I heard it was a Kia Rio! :D:D

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com